Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq targets gathering of Daesh commanders in Syria IRNA 31 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi F-16 jetfighters bombarded a Daesh(ISIS) gathering attended by 30 commanders of the terrorist group in Syria, the Iraqi military sources said in a statement released on Monday.
- Iraqi warplanes hit strategic Daesh position in eastern Syria, kills 30 commanders Press TV 31 Dec 2018 -- Iraqi military aircraft have pounded a strategic position of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr after Syria's president, Bashar al-Assad, allowed Iraqi fighter jets to conduct airstrikes against the extremists in Syria without waiting to be granted formal authorization for the assaults.
- Iraq to play bigger role in Syria to fight Daesh: PM Press TV 31 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi prime minister has hinted that his country would play a bigger role in Syria to fight Daesh terrorists after the withdrawal of the US forces.
- Iraqi Forces Announce 30 Daesh Commanders Eliminated in Syria's Deir Ez-Zor Sputnik 31 Dec 2018 -- The airstrike comes after RT Arabic reported that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad had granted Iraqi jets general permission to conduct strikes on the Daesh* terrorist group in the country.
- Iraqi PM sheds light on Trump visit after criticism Press TV 31 Dec 2018 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has given explanations on a sneak trip by US President Donald Trump to a military base near Baghdad last week, which angered Iraqis.
- Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve Monthly Civilian Casualty Report Operation Inherent Resolve 30 Dec 2018 -- The Coalition has worked by, with and through partners since 2014 to defeat ISIS in designated parts of Iraq and Syria, liberating nearly 8 million Iraqis and Syrians from ISIS's brutal rule and reducing its control of territory to approximately one percent of what it previously held.
- Assad allows Iraqi jets to hit Daesh militant redoubts in Syria anytime: Report Press TV 30 Dec 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has reportedly allowed Iraqi fighter jets to conduct airstrikes against the positions of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the war-ravaged country without waiting to be granted formal authorization for the assaults.
- Syria Allows Iraq to Conduct Air Raids Against Daesh – Report Sputnik 30 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi military has conducted two airstrikes this month against Daesh on the territory of Syria, leaving dozens of terrorists dead. They reportedly used intelligence obtained from Damascus to locate the terrorists' positions.
- Trump's Iraq visit unites Iraqi lawmakers against US troop presence Press TV 28 Dec 2018 -- Iraqi lawmakers have demanded that United States forces be expelled from the country in response to US President Donald Trump's abrupt visit, seen as a violation of national sovereignty.
- Remarks by President Trump to Troops at Al Asad Air Base | Al Anbar Province, Iraq The White House 26 Dec 2018
- Remarks by President Trump in Briefing at Al Asad Air Base | Al Anbar Province, Iraq The White House 26 Dec 2018
- Trump Visits US Troops in Iraq on Unannounced Trip VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- President Donald Trump made an unannounced visit to Iraq on Wednesday to talk with U.S. troops stationed there.
- President Trump, First Lady Make Surprise Visit to US Troops in Iraq Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump made a surprise visit to Iraq on Wednesday to meet with US servicemembers stationed at the Al Asad Air Base.
- US Established Two New Military Bases in Anbar Province - Reports Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- The US Army established two new military facilities in uninhabited parts of Anbar province, Farhan al-Duleimi, a member of Anbar's provisional council, told Anadolu news agency.
- Daesh claims responsibility for northern Iraq attack IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Daesh (ISIS) terrorist group has claimed the responsibility for the Tuesday car bombing in Tal Afar, Nineveh Province in northern Iraq.
- Trump says Saudi Arabia to help rebuild Syria, defends forcing Mattis out People's Daily 25 Dec 2018 -- While defending his decision to force Defense Secretary James Mattis out ahead of schedule, U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday said that Saudi Arabia has agreed to replace the United States in helping rebuild Syria.
- Car bomb attack kills 3, injures dozen in northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- At least three people have been killed and a dozen others sustained injuries when a bomb explosion ripped through a marketplace in Iraq's northern province of Nineveh.
- Secretary Pompeo's Call With Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abd al-Mahdi US Dept. of State 21 Dec 2018
- Secretary Pompeo's Call With Iraqi President Barham Salih US Dept. of State 21 Dec 2018
- Iraq: Iran sanctions waiver extended for 3 months IRNA 21 Dec 2018 -- The United States has granted Iraq a 90-day extension to an exemption from reimposed sanctions on Iran to keep on importing energy, a government source said on Thursday.
- Iraq gets 90-day Iran sanctions waiver from Washington Press TV 20 Dec 2018 -- The United States has granted Iraq a 90-day extension to an exemption from sanctions re-imposed on neighboring Iran to keep importing electricity and natural gas and meet its energy needs.
- US forces establish new base in Iraq near border with Syria: Report Press TV 19 Dec 2018 -- US forces have established a new military base in Iraq's western province of Anbar near the border with neighboring Syria in defiance of widespread calls to end its military presence in the Middle East region.
- Arab League censures Turkish airstrikes in northern Iraq Press TV 18 Dec 2018 -- The Arab League has strongly condemned Turkey's repeated airstrikes against the purported positions of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, stressing that "such actions are in violation of the Iraqi state's sovereignty."
- Iraqi AF Destroys Daesh Facility for Meetings in Hajin, Syria - Defence Ministry Sputnik 17 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi air force on 11 December destroyed two buildings in the city of Hajin in Syria where heads of the Daesh* terror group have held regular meetings, the Defence Ministry of Iraq reported.
- Turkey ignores Iraqi protests, attacks PKK again Press TV 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have struck PKK targets in northern Iraq, ignoring protests from Baghdad which says Turkey's repeated airstrikes violate Iraqi sovereignty and endanger civilians.
- Turkey vows to continue attacks on PKK militants in Iraq Press TV 15 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says it will continue its attacks on the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq despite Baghdad's protest at repeated violations of its airspace.
- Turkey Vows to Continue Airstrikes in Iraq Despite Baghdad's Protest Sputnik 15 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry summoned Turkey's Ambassador Fatih Yildiz on December 14 to protest against a violation of the country's airspace by Turkish aircraft and them conducting airstrikes on several sites in northern Iraq, which allegedly caused "loss of life and property".
- Iraqi PM says reopening of Baghdad's Green Zone "irreversible" People's Daily 12 Dec 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi on Tuesday said that the reopening of the heavily fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad is "irreversible."
- Iraqi jetfighters kill 44 Daesh terrorists in Syria IRNA 12 Dec 2018 -- In an air strike conducted by Iraqi war planes, 44 Daesh (ISIS) terrorists were killed in Syria.
- Iraqi aircraft target Daesh positions in eastern Syria, kill 44 terrorists Press TV 12 Dec 2018 -- Iraqi military aircraft have carried out two separate airstrikes against members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as the Baghdad government has pledged to continue airstrikes on the positions and headquarters of the extremists in the neighboring war-battered country.
- Statement by the President The White House 11 Dec 2018
- Remarks by President Trump at the Signing Ceremony for H.R. 390, Iraq and Syria Genocide Relief and Accountability Act of 2018 The White House 11 Dec 2018
- Joint Operations Command-Iraq Briefing DoD 11 Dec 2018 -- Joint Operations Command-Iraq Briefing
- Task Force Commander: ISIS Forces Degraded From Caliphate to Caves AFPS 11 Dec 2018 -- At one time, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria controlled a self-proclaimed caliphate that stretched from Syria to Iraq, but now that force in Iraq has been degraded so much that the remnants are hiding in caves, deep wadis and tunnels in the desert and hills of western Iraq's austere terrain, the commander of Task Force Rifles told Pentagon reporters today.
- Iraq seeks exemption from US sanctions on Iran: PM IRNA 11 Dec 2018 -- Iraq will send a delegation to the United States seeking an exemption from sanctions against Iran that would allow it to keep importing Iranian gas, Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi said on Tuesday.
- Iraq: Over 150,000 children endangered by 'freezing' temperatures, warns UNICEF UN News 10 Dec 2018 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has ramped up efforts to provide warm clothes and life-saving supplies to more than 150,000 displaced children across northern Iraq whose lives are threatened by freezing temperatures.
- Iraqi Air Force receives six more KAI T-50 Golden Eagle warplanes Press TV 08 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi military has received a new batch of South Korean KAI T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic advanced trainers and light combat aircraft under a deal struck between Baghdad and Seoul several years ago.
- KRG Leadership Contest: Nechirvan Barzani Hot Favourite For Presidency Sputnik 07 Dec 2018 -- The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is in the process of forming a new government following parliamentary elections in late September, with the respective parties putting forward their candidates for high-level governmental roles.
- Attacks Continue as Iraq Marks One Year Since Islamic State Victory VOA 07 Dec 2018 -- In the desert outside Mosul there is a giant sinkhole, once thought a natural wonder, with stories about it going back for generations.
- China asks for early deployment of UN team for IS crimes in Iraq People's Daily 06 Dec 2018 -- A Chinese envoy on Tuesday asked for the early deployment of a UN investigative team to promote accountability for crimes committed by the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group in Iraq.
- IS Signals Re-Emergence in Parts of Iraq VOA 05 Dec 2018 -- While this month marks the first anniversary of the Iraqi-proclaimed victory over the Islamic State (IS) terror group, U.S.-backed Iraqi forces are still trying to hunt down remaining IS militants as the extremist group returns to its insurgent roots.
- Trust and support of Iraqis essential for success of UN's Da'esh terror investigation UN News 04 Dec 2018 -- Delivering a summary of his first report to the Security Council, Special Adviser and head of the UN Investigative Team for Accountability of Da'esh – the Arabic name for the extremist group ISIL which recently held sway over large parts of Iraq and Syria - said that the team can only be effective if it gains the trust of Iraqi society.
- November 2018 marks lowest casualty figures in Iraq in 6 Years IRNA 03 Dec 2018 -- United Nations announced on Monday that the death toll of violent and armed conflicts in Iraq hit the lowest in the past six years in November.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list