Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Number of Civilians Killed in US-Led Operations in Syria, Iraq Rises to 892 Sputnik 31 May 2018 -- At least 892 civilians have been confirmed dead in Syria and Iraq as a result of US-led coalition's campaign to defeat the Daesh* terrorist group, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve said in a casualty report on Thursday.
- After democratic elections, Iraqi leaders must form 'truly national' government, urges UN envoy UN News 30 May 2018 -- The low voter turnout for Iraq's recent national elections was a "strong signal" to the country's ruling political elites that they must work harder to ease sectarian divides and promote democratic accountability over nepotism and patronage, the United Nations envoy to the country said on Wednesday.
- Air Force Maintainers Play Critical Role in Operation Inherent Resolve AFPS 30 May 2018 -- With more than 1,000 successful missions in the last six months, the 5th Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron, known as 'The Jokers,' supports Operation Inherent Resolve's busiest aerial port here.
- Brave Rifles kick off mission in Iraq Army News 29 May 2018 -- The 3rd Cavalry Regiment "Brave Rifles" from Fort Hood, Texas, officially assumed the mission from the outgoing 3rd Brigade Combat Team "Patriots," 10th Mountain Division, from Fort Polk, Louisiana, during a ceremony held May 28, 2018.
- SDF and Iraqi Forces Advance to Daesh-Controlled Area on Syrian-Iraqi Border Sputnik 29 May 2018 -- Units of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) are heading toward Syria's border area of Dashishah, which is controlled by the Daesh terrorist group, with the support of the Iraqi Armed Forces, a spokeswoman of SDF's Al-Jazeera Storm campaign Leilwa Abdullah told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Iraqi parliament cancels expats votes for recent elections Press TV 28 May 2018 -- Iraqi's parliament has predominantly canceled expats and internally displaced people votes in the parliamentary elections.
- Sadr Movement stance toward US unchanged: Iraqi Politician IRNA 26 May 2018 -- Iraqi Shia leader Moqtada Al Sadr underlined the fact that Sadr Movement’s position toward the US will not change.
- Iraqi cleric Sadr rejects any change in anti-US stance Press TV 26 May 2018 -- Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose coalition won the largest number of seats in Iraq's parliamentary elections, has reiterated his anti-US policy, saying there has been no change to the position.
- Operation Roundup Targets ISIS Remnants in Iraq, Syria AFPS 25 May 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners have increased offensive activity against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets throughout May, task force officials reported today.
- Nearly dozen militants slain as Iraqi forces thwart attacks in Kirkuk Press TV 25 May 2018 -- Nearly a dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed after Iraqi security forces, supported by pro-government fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, foiled their attacks in the country's northern oil-rich province of Kirkuk.
- U.S. in 'Wait and See' Position After Iraq Election, Mattis Says AFPS 24 May 2018 -- The victory of Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's party in Iraq's recent election has put the United States in a wait-and-see position, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told reporters yesterday in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Italian Brigadier General Vannacci via Teleconference from Iraq DoD 22 May 2018 -- Presenter: Italian Army Brig. Gen. Roberto Vannacci, deputy commanding general for training, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve
- Coalition Trainers in Iraq Helping 'Make a Good Force Better' AFPS 22 May 2018 -- The coalition training effort in Iraq is all about "making a good force better," said Italian army Brig. Gen. Roberto Vannacci, the deputy commanding general for training for Operation Inherent Resolve's Joint Forces Land Component Command in Iraq.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters deployment Army News 22 May 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the fall 2018 deployment of the XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to Iraq.
- Iran Ready to Cooperate With Any Government Formed in Baghdad - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 21 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi said that Tehran was ready to work with the new government in Iraq, regardless of its composition, and expressed his optimism about the recent elections and the future Iraqi cabinet.
- Sadr, Abadi agree to expedite process of forming Iraqi government Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose party won the Iraqi parliamentary election, and incumbent Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, whose list took the third place, have underlined the need for the formation of a new government as soon as possible.
- Moqtada al-Sadr's alliance wins Iraq's parliamentary elections Press TV 19 May 2018 -- Iraq's electoral commission has announced the Sa'iroun (Marchers) political bloc, cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's alliance with communists, as the winner of the country's parliamentary elections.
- Shi'ite Cleric Sadr's Bloc Wins Iraqi Election RFE/RL 19 May 2018 -- The alliance of influential Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has captured the most seats in Iraq's parliamentary elections, according to final results released by the country's electoral commission on May 19.
- Populist Cleric's Bloc Wins Iraqi Election VOA 19 May 2018 -- Iraq's electoral commission said Saturday that a bloc led by populist Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who fought U.S. troops during the Iraq War, has won the most seats in Iraq's national parliamentary elections.
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 18 May 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between May 11-17, conducting 66 strikes consisting of 80 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Notice Regarding the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 18 May 2018
- Iraqi security forces kill five Daesh commanders in oil-rich Kirkuk province Press TV 15 May 2018 -- Members of the Iraqi federal police have carried out a counter-terrorism operation in the oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk, killing four high-profile commanders of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the process.
- US Strikes Supportive Note as Former Foe Leads in Iraqi Election VOA 15 May 2018 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Tuesday that the United States stands by Iraqis' electoral choices, despite the surprise success of populist Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, who fought U.S. troops during the Iraq War.
- Over dozen PKK terrorists slain in Turkish airstrikes in northern Iraq Press TV 14 May 2018 -- The Turkish military says more than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group have been killed in a series of airstrikes carried out in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region late last month.
- Moqtada al-Sadr alliance takes lead in Iraqi elections Press TV 14 May 2018 -- Partial results have shown that cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's alliance is in the lead of Iraq's parliamentary elections.
- Al-Abadi Calls on Iraq to Respect Election Results VOA 14 May 2018 -- As votes were being counted in Iraq's first election since defeating Islamic State, current prime minister Haider al-Abadi urged his supporters to respect the results of Monday's poll.
- Partial Results Put Sadr's Alliance Ahead In Iraq Vote; Abadi Trails RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- Partial results from Iraq's parliamentary election indicate that influential Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's alliance has taken the lead in the crucial vote, with Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi's bloc trailing in third place.
- Iraqis vote in first election since ISIL defeat; UN chief hails polls as progress on path to stronger democracy UN News 13 May 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has congratulated the people of Iraq on the holding yesterday of the first national parliamentary elections since the country declared victory over Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Dae'sh) terrorists late last year.
- PM Abadi's list leading in Iraqi parliamentary elections: Sources Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Informed sources say a predominantly Shia political bloc, led by Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, appears to be leading in parliamentary elections.
- Iraq announces 44.5 percent turnout in parliamentary elections Press TV 13 May 2018 -- The electoral commission of Iraq has announced that 44.5 percent of those eligible to vote cast their ballots in Saturday's parliamentary elections.
- Iraqis Await Results Of Election Marred By Low Turnout RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- Iraqis are awaiting results from a national election that was relatively peaceful but was marred by low turnout and which could help decide whether the country continues its close ties to the West or turns closer to Iran.
- Iraq Sees Record-Low Voter Turnout in First Post-IS Poll VOA 13 May 2018 -- Less than half of Iraq's eligible population voted in national elections, according to official tallies of the first national poll since defeating Islamic State.
- Four Hashd Sha'abi fighters killed in bomb attack in central Iraq amid ongoing voting Press TV 12 May 2018 -- At least four members of the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units have lost their lives and three others sustained injuries when a bomb went off in Iraq's central province of Salahuddin as voting is underway across the country to elect the next parliament.
- Iraqis vote in first parliamentary election since Daesh collapse Press TV 12 May 2018 -- People in Iraq go to polls to elect a new parliament and new prime minister in the first national election since the country declared complete victory over the terrorist Daesh group.
- Iraqis Vote Amid Struggle Between Shi'ite Leaders Aligned With Iran RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- Iraqis started voting on May 12 in the country's first parliamentary elections since Baghdad declared victory over the Islamic State (IS) and routed the extremist group from most Iraqi territory last year.
- What You Need to Know About Parliamentary Election in Iraq Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Iraqi citizens are on Saturday casting ballots in the first parliamentary election after the defeat of Daesh* in the country.
- Iraqi Parliamentary Election US Dept. of State 12 May 2018 -- "The United States congratulates the Iraqi people on today's parliamentary election. Citizens from every ethnic and religious group, and from all 18 provinces, including those internally displaced, made their voices heard."
- Iraqis Vote in First Election Since Victory Over IS VOA 12 May 2018 -- Dressed for the occasion in flowing gowns and a traditional suit, Payman Salih, her husband and four of her daughters waited outside a polling station in Iraq for a final family member to cast their ballot.
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 11 May 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between May 4-10, conducting 53 strikes consisting of 63 engagements, Combined task force officials reported today.
- Iraqis go to polls Saturday in first elections since victory over Daesh Press TV 11 May 2018 -- Iraqis are heading to key parliamentary elections on Saturday in their first vote since the country declared victory over the Daesh terrorist group some five months ago.
- Iraqi Forces With U.S. Backing Capture Five Top IS Leaders RFE/RL 11 May 2018 -- Iraqi forces in coordination with U.S.-backed Syrian forces have captured five senior Islamic State (IS) leaders, the U.S.-led coalition fighting IS said on May 10.
- Rebuilding, Returning, Renegotiating: Iraq's Diverse Election Wishes VOA 11 May 2018 -- Many areas that Islamic State militants once controlled in Iraq look like Mosul's old city. It was once the heart of the militants' de facto capital in Iraq. Now, it is broken and mostly abandoned and bodies still decay where they landed.
- Iraq used Baghdadi aide's cell phone to capture top Daesh commanders Press TV 10 May 2018 -- A high-ranking Iraqi security official says authorities are holding a top aide to the purported leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, Ibrahim al-Samarrai aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and have used a messaging application on his mobile phone to nab four commanders of the militant outfit.
- Iraqis Head to Polls Amid Security Threats, External Influence VOA 10 May 2018 -- Amid threats from Islamic State group, getting in and out of the polling stations safely will be the prevailing thought on Iraqi voters' minds May 12 when the country goes to the polls to choose a new parliament and the prime minister.
- Air raids in Syria will continue until full annihilation of Daesh: Al-Abadi IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Heydar Al-Abadi said late Wednesday that Iraq will keep up its air raids on Syrian soil until full annihilation of Daesh terrorist group.
- News Briefing Via Teleconference by U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Felix Gedney, Deputy Commander, Strategy and Support, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve DoD 08 May 2018 -- Presenter: U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Felix Gedney, Deputy Commander, Strategy and Support, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve
- Iraqi Air Force aerial porters load cargo like the best AFNS 07 May 2018 -- In a small office space at Al Muthana Air Base, U.S. Air Force 370th Air Expeditionary Advisory Group air advisors and Iraqi airmen enjoy a small cup of tea together. Iraqi Air Force Col. Yossif Halo, the base air terminal operations center commander, sits with the team and casually highlights the familiarity he has with his American counterparts.
- Russian, Syrian, Iranian Troops Chasing al-Baghdadi Near Iraqi Border – Reports Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The leader of the terrorist group has previously been reported killed by US or Russian air or artillery strikes on multiple occasions.
- Iraqi aircraft target Daesh commanders in northeastern Syria Press TV 06 May 2018 -- Iraqi military aircraft have carried out an airstrike against high-profile members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah as Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi had pledged to continue airstrikes on the positions and headquarters of the extremists in the neighboring war-battered country.
- Iraqi Airstrike Targets Position Used by Daesh Commanders in Syria - PM Sputnik 06 May 2018 -- The Iraqi military aircraft have carried out new airstrikes in Syria and one of the strikes hit the position used by the commanders of the Daesh terrorist group, the Iraqi Prime Minister's office said on Sunday.
- US-Led Coalition to Reduce Forces in Iraq VOA 04 May 2018 -- The U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS) said Friday that a small number of its forces might leave Iraq following a decision to shut down its ground forces command headquarters, known as the Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command (CJFLCC).
- Military Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 May 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between April 27-May 3, conducting 27 strikes consisting of 35 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 68 Iraqi civilians killed in terror attacks in April: UN IRNA 04 May 2018 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) reported that terrorist attacks and violence have claimed the lives of 68 Iraqi civilians in April.
- Iraq's top Shia cleric warns against voting for 'corrupt' legislators Press TV 04 May 2018 -- Iraq's prominent Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, has urged eligible voters in the Arab country not to cast their ballots in favor of "corrupt" lawmakers during next week's national elections.
- Iraqi court sentences eight foreign women to life imprisonment over Daesh links Press TV 03 May 2018 -- A court in Iraq has handed down life terms to eight foreign women over membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in acts of terror across the war-ravaged Arab country.
- NATO works closely with Iraq to strengthen good governance in the Iraqi security structures NATO 02 May 2018 -- Over a hundred representatives from twenty ministries and institutions across the Iraqi government attended a workshop organized by NATO in Baghdad, on 24 to 26 April 2018.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list