November 2012 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq: UN envoy flags improved Kuwait links, with progress depending on 'restoration of confidence' UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- Highlighting improvements in relations between Iraq and Kuwait, the United Nations top official in Iraq today said that progress will 'depend on the restoration of confidence between both sides' and encouraged further momentum from the two countries.
- U.S. Treasury Targets Hizballah Commander With Sanctions Over U.S. Deaths In Iraq RFE/RL 19 Nov 2012 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on a Hizballah commander blamed for attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq.
- Iranian Kurds Fight Discrimination, Hope for Change VOA 19 Nov 2012 -- The Kurdish minority in Iran has for decades suffered discrimination and many Kurds have been thrown into prison and executed for seeking equal rights from the Islamic government in Tehran.
- Iraq Denies US Pressure Over Russia Arms Deal RIA Novosti 13 Nov 2012 -- Iraq denied on Tuesday that its decision to suspend a $4.2-billion arms deal with Russia had been taken after consultations with the United States.
- Confusion Over $4.2 Billion Iraqi Arms Deal With Russia RFE/RL 10 Nov 2012 -- The Iraqi official who negotiated an arms deal with Russia is denying the agreement has been canceled.
- Iraq Denies Cancellation of $4.2 Bln Arms Deal with Russia RIA Novosti 10 Nov 2012 -- Iraq's acting Defense Minister Sadun Al-Dulaymi has denied reports that Bagdad is annulling a $4.2 billion arms deal with Russia over concerns about possible corruption, Al-Jazeera reported on Saturday.
- Iraq Rethinks Russian Arms Deal VOA 10 Nov 2012 -- A spokesman for Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki announced the suspension Saturday of a $4.2 billion arms deal between Baghdad and Moscow. A spokesman for Maliki, Ali Moussawi, told Iraqi state TV that the prime minister had decided to re-examine the arms deal with Russia, after discovering apparent graft and corruption.
- Iraq: $4.2 Bln Russian Arms Deal 'Canceled' RIA Novosti 10 Nov 2012 -- Iraq is annulling a $4.2 billion arms deal with Russia it reached earlier this year over concerns about possible corruption, an Iraqi government spokesman said.
- Car Bombs Kill Four In Iraq RFE/RL 08 Nov 2012 -- Iraqi police say three car bombs have killed four people and injured 16.
- Turkish Commandoes Raid Kurdish Bases In Iraq RFE/RL 07 Nov 2012 -- Turkey's NTV news channel has reported that Turkish commandoes have conducted a raid into Iraq to strike Kurdish rebels.
- Turkish Commandos Raid Northern Iraq RIA Novosti 07 Nov 2012 -- Turkish commando troops have conducted a cross-border ground raid on suspected bases of the separatist Kurdistan Workers’ Party in northern Iraq.
- Dozens Killed In Iraq Bomb Blast RFE/RL 06 Nov 2012 -- Iraqi police and hospital officials say a car bomb has exploded outside a military base north of Baghdad.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Handed Third Death Sentence RFE/RL 04 Nov 2012 -- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi has been handed a third death sentence by a Baghdad court.
- Iraqi Vice President Sentenced To Death On Second Charge RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- An Iraqi court has convicted fugitive Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi of involvement in a plot to assassinate a senior Interior Ministry official.
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes decision on date for holding of Governorate Council elections next year UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations top envoy in Iraq has welcomed the Iraqi Government’s decision to hold Governorate Council elections in April next year.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|