Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2012 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- UN human rights expert ‘appalled’ at level of executions in Iraq UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- An independent United Nations human rights expert strongly condemned execution of 21 people within one day in Iraq.
- Resumed Progress toward Camp Ashraf's Peaceful Closure US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2012
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes transfer of Iranian exiles to new refugee camp UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations top envoy in Iraq hailed the relocation of another group of 400 Iranian exiles to a new location.
- Iraqi Attacks Kill General, Four Police RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Iraqi officials say five security officers, including a general, have been killed in a series of attacks.
- Iraq Executes 21 People For Terrorism Offenses RFE/RL 28 Aug 2012 -- It has been reported that Iraqi authorities have executed 21 people found guilty of terrorism-related offences.
- Iraqi Communication Minister Resigns Over 'Political Interference' RFE/RL 27 Aug 2012 -- Iraq's communications minister has resigned to protest interference by Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in the work of his ministry.
- Gunmen Kill Iraq Army General Outside Baghdad RFE/RL 27 Aug 2012 -- Iraqi officials have said gunmen shot dead an army general outside Baghdad.
- Five Killed In Iraqi Attacks RFE/RL 26 Aug 2012 -- Iraqi officials say that gunmen with silenced weapons killed five people in two attacks in Baghdad on August 26.
- Shootings Leave Three Dead In Mosul RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- Separate shootings in Iraq's main northern city of Mosul have left three people dead.
- Iraqi Pleads Guilty In U.S. Terror Case RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- An Iraqi national prosecuted in the United States has pleaded guilty to 10 charges of conspiring to send weapons, money, and explosives to terrorists.
- Iraqi National Pleads Guilty to 12-count Terrorism Indictment in Kentucky DOJ 21 Aug 2012
- Dempsey Finds Familiar, Unfamiliar in Baghdad AFPS 21 Aug 2012 -- Arriving in this city had both familiar and unfamiliar aspects for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Dempsey Arrives in Baghdad for Talks With Iraqi, US Officials AFPS 21 Aug 2012 -- Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey arrived here today for talks with Iraqi and American leaders.
- Top U.S. Military Officer In Iraqi Visit RFE/RL 21 Aug 2012 -- The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, has met with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, eight months after the last U.S. troops withdrew from the country.
- Iraq - UN envoy welcomes latest transfer of Iranian exiles to transit centre UN News Centre 18 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations top official in Iraq today hailed the announcement of a further transfer of Iranian exiles currently located in a camp outside of the capital, Baghdad.
- Report: Iraq Helping Iran To Skirt Sanctions RFE/RL 19 Aug 2012 -- A U.S. newspaper reports that Iraq has been helping Iran skirt economic sanctions.
- Iraq Helping Iran Skirt Sanctions, Report Claims VOA 19 Aug 2012 -- A report in Sunday's New York Times says Iraq has been using a network of financial institutions and oil smuggling operations to help Iran skirt economic sanctions imposed because of its nuclear program.
- IRAQ-SYRIA: Iraqi Kurdistan welcomes Syrian brethren, for now IRIN 10 Aug 2012 -- Domiz is already home to more than 2,500 of the 10,000 Syrian refugees who have settled in the autonomous Kur dish region of northern Iraq.
- UN refugee agency reports increase in number of people fleeing violence in Syria UN News Centre 10 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations refugee agency today said that its offices in Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and Iraq have reported increases this week in the number of refugees from Syria.
- Several Killed In Attacks Across Iraq RFE/RL 10 Aug 2012 -- Iraqi officials say gunmen have killed four anti-Al-Qaeda fighters during an attack on a checkpoint north of Baghdad.
- Car Bomb Kills At Least 11 In Iraq RFE/RL 08 Aug 2012 -- Iraqi officials said a car bomb that exploded in a Shi'ite city south of Baghdad has killed at least 11 people.
- US Downsizing Operations in Iraq VOA 06 Aug 2012 -- In the 7 months since the US withdrew its combat forces from Iraq, US relations with Baghdad have deteriorated as Iraqi insurgents have carried out a major attack at least once a month.
- Al-Qaeda Resurgent In Iraq On The Back Of Syrian Turmoil RFE/RL 02 Aug 2012 -- Al-Qaeda is back in Iraq, a fact underscored by a wave of spectacular attacks this summer.
- UN Chief Urges Iranian Exiles To Move From Iraqi Camp RFE/RL 02 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations chief has urged 1,200 Iranian exiles to follow an order to leave a camp in northern Iraq and resettle at a new camp near Baghdad.
- Briefing: Why is Iraq still so dangerous? IRIN 01 Aug 2012 -- Assessments of security trends in Iraq vary wildly depending on who you speak to, how you count the statistics, and which period of time you study.
- July Bloodiest Month In Iraq In Two Years RFE/RL 01 Aug 2012 -- The Iraqi Health Ministry says that militants killed 325 Iraqis in July making it the bloodiest month in two years.
- Concern about Camp Ashraf US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2012
- Ban calls for peaceful completion of transfer of Iranian exiles from Iraqi camp UN News Centre 01 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban urged all parties to avoid violence and work together to peacefully conclude the transfer of the remaining Iranian exiles residing in a camp in Iraq.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list