Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2012 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- UN certifies new camp for Iranian exiles meets standards UN News Centre 31 Jan 2012 -- UN refugee and human rights officials confirmed facilities at new camp in Iraq meet international standards.
- USASAC FMS Program Helps Iraq Transition to Security Self Reliance Army News 31 Jan 2012 -- The US lowered its flag in Baghdad December 15, 2011 officially ending the American military mission in Iraq.
- Sunni-Backed Bloc Ends Iraqi Parliament Boycott RFE/RL 31 Jan 2012 -- Lawmakers from the Sunni-backed Al-Iraqiyah bloc have ended their boycott of the Iraqi parliament.
- U.S. Marine To Serve No Time Over Iraq Killings RFE/RL 25 Jan 2012 -- A U.S. Marine convicted over the killing of 24 civilians in Iraq will not serve time in jail.
- Militia Leader Reported Killed In Baghdad RFE/RL 25 Jan 2012 -- Reports from Iraq say a leader of a Sunni militia fighting Al-Qaeda militants has been killed in Baghdad.
- Rights Group Says Iraq Falling Back Into Authoritariansim RFE/RL 22 Jan 2012 -- Human Rights Watch has warned that Iraq is falling back into authoritarianism and headed towards becoming a police state, despite claims from Washington that the United States has helped establish democracy in the country.
- IRAQ: People consider fleeing as violence increases IRIN 19 Jan 2012 -- Suicide attacks, assassinations and bombings in Iraq have claimed the lives of hundreds since 18 December.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 17 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- Iraq Faces Many Challenges After US Military Withdrawal VOA 17 Jan 2012 -- The last American soldier left Iraq last month, leaving behind a country President Obama described as “sovereign, stable and self-reliant.”
- Car Bombs Kill At Least 12 in Iraq VOA 16 Jan 2012 -- Iraqi authorities say separate car bombings in the north and south of the country have killed at least 12 people and wounded more than 10 others.
- Militants Storm Police Building in Western Iraq, Killing 7 Officers VOA 15 Jan 2012 -- Iraqi authorities say militants have raided a government security compound in the western city of Ramadi, killing at least seven policemen and wounding about 15 other people.
- 53 Dead in Attack on Iraqi Shi'ites VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- A suicide-bomber handing out food and pastries blew himself up near a security checkpoint outside the mainly Shi'ite Iraqi port city of Basra, killing at least 53 people and wounding at least 137 others.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 12 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- Last logistics battalion returns from Iraq Army News 12 Jan 2012 -- Soldiers from the 275th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion deployed to Iraq last March on a historic 10-month mission.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 11 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- 'Ironhorse' troops take on new equipment, mission in Kuwait Army News 09 Jan 2012 -- When Operation Iraqi Freedom began in 2003, it was the first war where front-line troops were equipped largely by the Army Prepositioned Stock, or APS.
- Baghdad Bombs Target Shi'ite Pilgrims, 16 Killed VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iraqi authorities say a series of bombings in Baghdad has killed 16 people and wounded more than 40 others, many of them Shi'ite pilgrims traveling to the holy city of Karbala for an annual ritual.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 05 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- Last US Marine Stands Trial for Iraq Killings VOA 05 Jan 2012 -- The last U.S. Marine charged in the killings of 24 Iraqi civilians will stand trial this week in one of the most controversial criminal cases of the Iraq War.
- U.S. Marine Faces Trial In Iraq War's Biggest Criminal Case RFE/RL 05 Jan 2012 -- A U.S. Marine accused of leading a squad that killed 24 Iraqis in 2005 will stand trial in San Diego on January 6.
- Sectarian Violence Worsens In Iraq Amid Political Crisis RFE/RL 05 Jan 2012 -- More than 70 people have been killed in a wave of bombings targeting Shi'a in Iraq.
- Iraq: UN deplores deadly wave of bomb attacks UN News Centre 05 Jan 2012 -- The top United Nations official in Iraq strongly condemned the series of bombings across the country.
- Scores Dead as Bombings Shake Iraq During Political Crisis VOA 05 Jan 2012 -- Another wave of bombings against mostly Shi'ite targets in Iraq Thursday has left dozens dead and hundreds injured.
- At least 68 killed in Iraqi deadliest blasts RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2012 -- At least 68 people are reported to have been killed in Thursday’s suicide attacks targeting several Iraqi cities.
- Multiple Bombings Strike Baghdad VOA 05 Jan 2012 -- Iraqi officials say multiple bombs have exploded in Shi'ite areas of the capital, Baghdad, killing at least 27 people and wounding more than 60 others.
- Top UN official in Iraq urges dialogue to resolve tensions UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations envoy to Iraq voiced concern over Iraq’s continued political stalemate and rising sectarian tensions.
- Turkey to Broach Kurdistan Issue in Tehran VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is in Iran for talks that are expected to address the burgeoning political crisis in neighboring Iraq.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 03 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- Political dialogue vital to promote peace and stability in Iraq UN News Centre 03 Jan 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban expressed concern about continuing political tensions in Iraq.
- Closure of Khosravi border due to internal Iraqi conditions IRNA 03 Jan 2012 -- Closure of Khosravi Int'l Border is due tointernal conditions in Iraq, a local official affiliated to Kermanshah provincial governerate, Shahriar Heydari said.
- Iraqi Civilian Deaths Increase In 2011 RFE/RL 02 Jan 2012 -- A U.K.-based nongovernmental organization has issued figures that suggest the number of civilians killed in Iraq in 2011 was slightly higher than a year earlier.
- MKO members' transfer to U.S. base begins ISNA 01 Jan 2012 -- Iranian ambassador to Iraq said the first phase of transferring Mujahedin Khalq Organization (MKO) terrorist group to Camp Liberty Base from Camp Ashraf began.
- CTF Iraqi Maritime Completes Mission And Disestablishes NNS 01 Jan 2012 -- Combined Task Force Iraqi Maritime declared mission complete and was officially disestablished Dec. 31.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list