Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 28 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- 'Black Dragons' help federal police secure checkpoints Army News 28 Feb 2011 -- Soldiers assigned to A/5-82nd Field Artillery trained Iraqi policemen of 3rd Federal Police Division on checkpoint operations, Feb. 17.
- Iraqi Court Sentences Briton To Life In Jail RFE/RL 28 Feb 2011 -- An Iraqi court has convicted a British security guard and sentenced him to life imprisonment for killing a British and an Australian security contractors.
- Iraqi Court Jails British Guard for Killing Colleagues VOA 28 Feb 2011 -- A court in Iraq has given a life sentence to a British security contractor for killing two of his colleagues in 2009.
- IRAQ: Funding shortfall hits plans for IDPs, returnees IRIN 28 Feb 2011 -- Iraqi government plans for internally displaced persons and returnees may not be fully implemented this year because of a funding shortfall.
“We have set [up] a lot of big projects this year, but the ministry - according to the allocated budget - may not be able to implement its commitments,” he told IRIN on 26 February.
- APG honors Maryland National Guard unit as it deploys Army News 26 Feb 2011 -- C/2-224th Aviation Regiment and detachments of the Maryland Army National Guard will support Operation New Dawn in Iraq for one year.
- 'Day Of Rage' Turns Deadly As Many Thousands Turn Out Across Iraq RFE/RL 25 Feb 2011 -- Reports say at least five protesters have died in clashes with Iraqi police as thousands of people protest against the government in many cities across the country in a "Day of Rage.".
- Protesters Killed as Iraqis Stage 'Day of Rage' Protest VOA 25 Feb 2011 -- Thousands of Iraqis took to the streets Friday in a nationwide "Day of Rage" inspired by uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt and other Middle Eastern nations.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 25 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 24 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 23 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Air traffic advisers aim high for Iraq's future AFNS 22 Feb 2011 -- As U.S. forces continue to draw down to meet the Dec. 31 deadline, Air Force air traffic control advisers have their eyes fixed on the sky above Iraq.
- Iraqi Security Forces travel to DC, discuss infrastructure management Army News 22 Feb 2011 -- United States Forces-Iraq advisors work closely with the Iraqi Ministry of Defense's Military Public Works and the Ministry of Interior's Infrastructure Department sharing techniques for planning, budgeting and executing resources to sustain Iraqi Security Forces' infrastructure.
- Logistical Drawdown Continues in Iraq AFPS 22 Feb 2011 -- Spring is still a month away, but that’s not stopping what is likely to be the largest and longest-running spring-cleaning project ever undertaken to prepare for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq by Dec. 31.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 22 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- IRAQ: Government vows to improve food aid system IRIN 21 Feb 2011 -- The Iraqi government has pledged to improve the state-run food aid system in the wake of sporadic protests and long-standing discontent over the quality and targeting of the rations provided.
- Building a foundation, 3rd ACR, Iraqi army practice basic combat skills Army News 19 Feb 2011 -- Iraqi Army Soldiers in Wasit province are continuing to make progress toward being a capable security force for their nation. Regularly working with United States Forces, the IA is retaining vital skills that will serve them well in the future.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 18 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Sustainers Share Expertise With Iraqi Forces AFPS 18 Feb 2011 -- Recognizing that the Iraqi security forces require an equally capable sustainment network, U.S. logisticians have moved into overdrive.
- US Army Celebrates 20 Years Since Kuwait's Liberation Army News 18 Feb 2011 -- February marks the 20th anniversary since Kuwait's liberation from Saddam Hussein's invading Army by US led Coalition Forces.
- Protests in Iraqi Kurdistan leave at least two killed, 40 wounded RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2011 -- At least two people have been killed and 40 wounded when Iraqi police dispersed a protest demonstration in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 17 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Gates Warns Of Security Problems In Iraq After U.S. Withdrawal RFE/RL 17 Feb 2011 -- US Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Iraq will face major security "problems" if U.S. troops leave the country by the end of this year as planned.
- State Department Needs Iraq Funding, Gates Says AFPS 17 Feb 2011 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates: US is at risk of losing its gains in Iraq if Congress doesn’t fully fund the State Department’s mission there.
- Taking flight - Guardian Eagles leave for Middle East Army News 17 Feb 2011 -- The last two groups of Soldiers of the 1-58th Airfield Operations Battalion set out for their deployment to the Middle East.
- Aviation brigade flies final hours, sees change in Iraq Army News 17 Feb 2011 -- The Army's last active-duty aviation brigade in Iraq is heading home after a year-long deployment in support of operations Iraqi Freedom and New Dawn.
- MPs deploy to Iraq Army News 17 Feb 2011 -- More than 150 Soldiers of the 59th Military Police Company said goodbye during a ceremony for their upcoming deployment in support of Operation New Dawn.
- Sabers finish strong in Kuwait Army News 17 Feb 2011 -- As their time in Kuwait ends, troopers of the 6th Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment finalized their preparation through tactical convoy operations training.
- Kurdish Guards Fire On Protest In Iraq, Kill Two RFE/RL 17 Feb 2011 -- Kurdish security forces reportedly opened fire on a crowd of protesters calling for political reforms in northern Iraq.
- Three Reported Killed In Iraqi Protests RFE/RL 17 Feb 2011 -- Three people were reported killed and at least 14 injured following clashes between protesters and Iraqi security forces in the eastern city of Kut.
- One Killed in Northern Iraq Protest VOA 17 Feb 2011 -- At least one person was killed and more than 30 injured during a protest in the northern Iraqi city of Sulaimaniya.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 16 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Defector Says He Lied Over Weapons Claims RFE/RL 16 Feb 2011 -- An Iraqi defector who allegedly convinced officials that former leader Saddam Hussein had a bio-weapons program has admitted that he lied.
- GWTC tailors training to fit Iraqi combat roles Army News 16 Feb 2011 -- Iraqi Army battalions continue to train at the Ghuzlani Warrior Training Center near Mosul.
- Iraqis Attack Government Offices Over Public Services RFE/RL 16 Feb 2011 -- Around 2,000 people attacked government offices and tried to set fire to the governor's house to protest poor public services.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 15 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Pentagon Seeks $118 Billion For Afghan, Iraq Operations In 2012 RFE/RL 15 Feb 2011 -- The Pentagon has released its proposed budget for fiscal year 2012 with a request for almost $118 billion dollars to fund military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Bombings Kill 3 in Iraqi Capital VOA 15 Feb 2011 -- Iraqi officials say a pair of bombs killed at least three people and wounded six others in eastern Baghdad.
- Iraqi airmen train on tool calibration system AFNS 15 Feb 2011 -- Iraqi airmen expanded their maintenance capabilities at New Al-Muthana Air Base, Iraq, after wrapping up a three-week U.S. Air Force training session.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 14 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Maryland National Guard unit deploys to Iraq Army News 14 Feb 2011 -- Soldiers of the 1729th Field Support Maintenance Company, Maryland National Guard, prepared to board buses to take them away for year-long deployment to Iraq.
- Task force vigilant against contract fraud AFNS 14 Feb 2011 -- Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, of Pittsburgh, stepped into a shower in Iraq in January 2008, and it was the last action he would take on this earth.
- Cone uncases Corps colors, reflects on mission in Iraq Army News 11 Feb 2011 -- Marking the return from its third deployment to Iraq, III Corps uncased its colors Feb. 10 at the III Corps' headquarters.
- Protesters In Iraqi Cities Demand Better Social Services, Corruption Probes RFE/RL 11 Feb 2011 -- A series of protests were held across Iraq on February 10 with demonstrators demanding better social services, stable food prices, and investigations into corruption cases, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq (RFI) reports.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 11 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- 3rd BCT returns home to Family, friends Army News 10 Feb 2011 -- About 180 Soldiers assigned to the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, returned to the Mountain Post Feb. 1 from a deployment to Iraq in support of Operation New Dawn.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 10 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 09 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Airpower data for the week of 30 Jan-05 Feb 2011 09 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Team 15 builds partnership with Iraqi counterparts Army News 08 Feb 2011 -- Five days-a-week, Soldiers assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment, 1st Advise and Assist Task Force, 1st Infantry Division, work with 15th Brigade, 12th Iraqi Army Division.
- 299th Eng. Company dismantles improvised bridge Army News 08 Feb 2011 -- Soldiers of 299th Engineer Company, 724th Engineer Battalion, 36th Engineer Brigade dismantled an Improvised Rafting Bridge on Tigris River near Sharqat, Iraq, Jan. 23.
- Iraqi soldiers test mortar skills with live-fire exercise Army News 08 Feb 2011 -- Iraqi mortar platoons assigned to 1st Battalion, 11th Brigade, 3rd Iraqi Army Division, conducted a live-fire exercise using 60mm and 81mm mortar systems to test their weapons proficiency at Destiny Range in Ninewa province, Iraq, Jan. 26.
- Amnesty Accuses Iraq of Operating Secret Prisons to Torture Detainees VOA 08 Feb 2011 -- Human rights group Amnesty International is accusing the Iraqi government of operating secret prisons in which detainees are "systematically tortured" to extract confessions that are used to convict them.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 08 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 07 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Airpower data for the week of 23-29 January 2011 07 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Vanguard Soldiers train Iraqis on M1A1 tank Army News 04 Feb 2011 -- The "Desert Lions" of Iraq's 34th Mechanized Brigade are now training with U.S. Soldiers to learn M1A1 Abrams tank skills at Camp Taji, Iraq.
- Iraqi officials visit Balad to better understand base transition AFNS 04 Feb 2011 -- The 321st Air Expeditionary Wing commander and several Iraqi air force senior leaders toured the flightline and facilities.
- Iraqi Police Fire On Protesters, At Least Three Wounded RFE/RL 04 Feb 2011 -- At least three Iraqis were wounded when police opened fire to disperse angry residents calling for better services.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 04 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqis Reject Insurgents, Support Transition AFPS 03 Feb 2011 -- Iraq’s citizens want a US civilian presence in their country and overwhelmingly reject the insurgency.
- US to Have Enhanced Civilian Presence in Iraq After Troop Withdrawal VOA 03 Feb 2011 -- U.S. officials and legislators say they are cautiously optimistic about Iraq’s ability to survive as a functioning democracy.
- WikiLeaks: Iraq Accuses Iran, Syria of Arming Militants VOA 03 Feb 2011 -- Document says Iraqi PM al-Maliki told U.S. diplomats in 2009 that Iran and Syria were providing weapons to insurgents in Iraq.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 03 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Straw voices differences with Blair on Iraq war IRNA 02 Feb 2011 -- Former British foreign secretary Jack Straw admitted that there was a “difference” with former PM Blair over using military action against Iraq.
- Exodus Of Christians From Iraq Intensifies RFE/RL 02 Feb 2011 -- Concern that an ongoing exodus of Christians may result in the disappearance of one of the country's oldest religious communities.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 02 Feb 2011 [PDF]
- Military, Civilian Officials Note Iraq's Progress AFPS 01 Feb 2011 -- If Iraqi security forces continue to improve at their current rate, the State Department will be able to meet its goal of taking over operations there when military forces leave at the end of the year.
- 3rd AAB, 4th Inf. Div. assists with first-ever Al-Tadreeb Al-Shamil course in Nasiriyah Army News 01 Feb 2011 -- Advisors and trainers assigned to 3-29th Field Artillery worked closely with the 10th IA Division leadership to develop both the training center and the curriculum.
- Iraq Casualties Rise In January RFE/RL 01 Feb 2011 -- 159 civilians, 55 police and 45 soldiers were killed last month.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 01 Feb 2011 [PDF]
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list