Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 December 2009 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Secretary Gates Conducts Town Hall Meeting at Forward Operating Base Warrior, Kirkuk, Iraq DoD 11 Dec 2009 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- U.S. Role in Iraq Remains Critical, Gates Says AFPS 11 Dec 2009 -- The U.S. military role remains critical to preserving gains made in Iraq and helping to prevent sectarian violence in the roll-up to Iraq’s national elections, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates told about 300 soldiers and airmen at a town hall session today at Forward Operating Base Warrior.
- Gates Cites Arab-Kurd Progress in Iraq VOA 11 Dec 2009 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Iraqi Arab and Kurdish leaders have made progress in recent weeks toward resolving their differences over power sharing and the status of the city of Kirkuk. Gates met Friday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in Baghdad and with Kurdish President Masoud Barzani at his regional capital, Irbil.
- Gates Offers US Support After Deadly Iraq Bombings VOA 11 Dec 2009 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates met with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki as well as with U.S. troops Friday as part of his previously unannounced trip to Iraq.
- Asylum-seekers must not be forcibly returned to central Iraq – UN UN News Centre 11 Dec 2009 -- The United Nations refugee agency today called on all States to continue to refrain from forcibly returning Iraqi asylum-seekers to Baghdad, Kirkuk and other violence-prone areas in the centre of the country, warning that the situation was still too precarious due to continuing violence and serious human rights violations.
- New Iraqi Army base opens in Maysan province Army News 11 Dec 2009 -- A ribbon cutting ceremony Dec. 9 marked the celebration of the official opening of Iraqi Army Camp Al Memona, Iraq.
- Iraq armaments contract Ukraine's biggest - arms exporter RIA Novosti 11 Dec 2009 -- A contract to deliver armaments to Iraq is the largest one since Ukraine became independent after the fall of the Soviet Union, a deputy head of the state's arms trader Ukrspetsexport said Friday.
- Big Bidders Nab Contracts At Iraq Oil Auction RFE/RL 11 Dec 2009 -- that is, the oil companies that invest in Iraqi fields are paid a fee for every barrel produced," Iraqi Oil Minister Hussein al-Shahristani explained to potential bidders. "This barrel remains Iraq's exclusive property which it sells at the going international rates."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list