19 October 2007 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 19 Oct 2007 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- MND-B unit targeted during combat operations (Baghdad)
- Task Force Lightning Soldier dies of illness
- Oct. 18 airpower summary: KC-10s sustain airborne operations AFPN 19 Oct 2007 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Oct. 18, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Five Terrorists Killed, Two Detained During Iraq Operations AFPS 19 Oct 2007 -- Coalition forces killed five terrorists and detained two suspects today during operations targeting al Qaeda networks throughout Iraq, military officials reported.
- Air Cav Crews See Higher-Tech Attacks, Weapons from Iran AFPS 19 Oct 2007 -- Air cavalry helicopter pilots have had to change their tactics to adapt to newer and higher-tech surface-to-air missile systems that officials believe are coming in from Iran, a senior official in Iraq said today.
- Five hostages released, illegal prisons discovered in Baqouba Army News 19 Oct 2007 -- Soldiers from Company D, 1-12 Combined Arms Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, acting on a tip, discovered two houses used as make-shift prisons and released five local citizens who were held for ransom in the village of Buhriz in Baqouba, Iraq, Oct. 16.
- DoD Announces Force Adjustments 19 Oct 2007 -- The Department of Defense announced today the alert of replacement forces scheduled to deploy in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- National Guard Brigades Alerted For Iraq, Afghanistan Deployments AFPS 19 Oct 2007 -- The Defense Department today announced the alert of seven National Guard brigades as replacement forces for Operation Iraqi Freedom, and one National Guard brigade as replacement forces for Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Eight National Guard brigades alerted for Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom Army News Release 19 Oct 2007 -- The Department of the Army today joined the Department of Defense in announcing Oct. 19 the alert of seven Army National Guard Brigade Combat Teams and one Army National Guard Fires Brigade for planned rotations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.
- Court-Martial results - Lt. Col William H. Steele (Baghdad) MNF-I 19 Oct 2007 -- An Army officer was convicted of six offenses, and found not guilty of a charge of aiding the enemy following a court-martial here today.
- Defense Department Contracts for 2,400 More MRAP Vehicles AFPS 19 Oct 2007 -- The Defense Department has let contracts for an additional 2,400 mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicles, bringing the total number of the vehicles ordered to 8,800.
- US Officer in Iraq Acquitted of Aiding Enemy, Guilty of Lesser Charges VOA 19 Oct 2007 -- A U.S. military court in Iraq has acquitted an American officer on charges of aiding the enemy, but found him guilty on lesser charges.
- UN Security Council Says Iraq's Humanitarian Situation Still a Major Challenge VOA 19 Oct 2007 -- The United Nations Security Council says continued violence, crime, political instability and increased levels of displaced people are weighing heavily on Iraq's humanitarian crisis
- UN envoy to visit Iraq in two weeks for talks on broader role, official says UN News Centre 19 Oct 2007 -- The new United Nations envoy for Iraq will travel to the country in two weeks for talks on a broader role for the world body there, a senior UN official told the Security Council today.
- Major Iraq Reconstruction to Transition from US to Iraqi Lead VOA 19 Oct 2007 -- The U.S. military's effort to rebuild major infrastructure in Iraq will be winding down during the coming year, leaving the Iraqi government to fund the effort and to find engineers capable of handling the projects
- Islamic Party in Kurdish Iraq Growing in Popularity VOA 19 Oct 2007 -- The Kurdish region of Iraq is dominated by two pro-American secular parties -- the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan and the Kurdistan Democratic Party
- Turkish PM demands closure of rebel camps in Iraq RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2007 -- Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan put forward two conditions on Friday that could prevent Ankara from launching a military strike against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq.
- Turkish troops along Iraqi border on high alert RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2007 -- Turkish troops amassed along the Iraqi border are on high alert, Turkish media reported on Friday.
- Inside the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) cfr.org 19 Oct 2007
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|