Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 21 Jan 2005 [PDF]
- ONE IST ID SOLDIER KILLED, ONE WOUNDED IN OPERATION NEAR AD DULUIYAH
- 1 Soldier Killed, 1 Injured in Accident
- IRAQ / BOMBING VOA 21 Jan 2005 -- A car filled with explosives blew up in front of a Shiite Mosque in Baghdad Friday, killing at least 14 worshippers and wounding more than 40 others. Sectarian tension between Shiite and Sunni Muslims has been rising steadily ahead of Iraqi elections.
- Bomb Kills 14 Near Baghdad Shi'a Mosque RFE/RL 21 Jan 2005 -- Reports say at least 14 people were killed and 40 wounded today when a car bomb exploded near a Shi'a Muslim mosque in Baghdad before Friday prayers.
- Body found near Ghalibiyah MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- 204th Iraqi Army Soldiers found a body near Ghalibiyah at about 12:54 p.m. on January 20. The body was found with hands tied and throat cut. The remains were taken to the Khalis hospital for identification.
- 201st Iraqi Army Soldiers Detain AIF Suspect MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- 201st Iraqi Army Soldiers detained an anti-Iraqi force suspect at a traffic control point in northern Tikrit at about 11:10 a.m., January 20.
- Task Force Danger Soldiers Detain One With Weapons MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained one individual and confiscated weapons found in his home during a raid at about 10 a.m., January 20th, near Bayji.
- Task Force Danger Soldiers Detain one During Attack MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger Soldiers detained one individual after their combat patrol encountered small arms fire near Mandeli at about 8:47 p.m., January 20.
- One 1st ID Soldier Killed, One Wounded in Operation near Ad Duluiyah MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- One 1st Infantry Division Soldier was killed and one was wounded in an operation near Ad Duluiyah on Jan. 21 at about 2:10 a.m.
- Iraqi Army's 306th Battalion Takes Over a Portion of Sadr City MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- The Iraqi Army's 306th Battalion, 40th Brigade, an element of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, assumed responsibility for security operations in a portion of the Sadr City area.
- Insurgent Crackdown Continues in Preparation for Elections MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained one person during operations in northern Iraq on Jan. 20.
- Operation aimed at taking weapons off the streets in central Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- In their quest to bring peace and stability to the volatile Al-Karkh district of Baghdad, Task Force 1st Battalion, 9th Cavalry Regiment, kicked off Operation Copperas Cove on the morning of Jan. 12.
- Crackdown on Insurgents Continues in Preparation for Elections MNF-I/MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained one individual during operations in northern Iraq on Jan. 20.
- Insurgents attack from Mosque, one Detained MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Striker Combat Team), and Iraqi Security Forces were fired upon by anti-Iraqi insurgents from a mosque in northern Iraq on Jan. 21.
- IIF Patrols Find Mines and Rockets MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Two battalions from the Iraqi Army's 7th Brigade, Iraqi Intervention Force (IIF), working with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force near Fallujah Jan. 20, found mines and rockets while on a security patrol.
- Iraqi Civilian Provides IED Information MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- A local civilian provided information about a suspected improvised explosive device (IED) to Iraqi soldiers from the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Battalion of the Iraqi Intervention Force (IIF) working with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force near Fallujah, Jan. 20.
- Marines Capture Two, Uncover Weapons Cache South of Baghdad MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Elements of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit captured two suspected militants and uncovered a weapons stockpile south of Baghdad January 21, the third day of the latest anti-insurgent operation in northern Babil Province.
- Oregon unit first in 116th BCT to assume authority in Iraq MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- The Oregon Army National Guard's Task Force 3-116 officially assumed authority for the security and stability of the southern sector of the 116th Brigade Combat Team's (BTC) area of responsibility in Iraq in a ceremony held here December 27.
- MNF-I Update 21 Jan MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Coalition and Iraqi security forces are cementing security conditions for elections.
- Nineteen Detained in Joint Raid Near Balad MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger and Iraqi Army soldiers detained 19 individuals in a raid near Balad at about 12 p.m., January 21.
- Election Rehearsal conducted in Diyala Province MNF-I-MNC-I 21 Jan 2005 -- Leaders from the 1st Infantry Division and Iraqi Security Forces gathered here Jan. 20 to prepare for and set the conditions for a successful election process in Diyala Province.
- Multinational Security Command Trains, Equips Iraqi Forces AFPS 21 Jan 2005 -- "It's like building an airplane while you are already in flight" is how one official at Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq describes building the Iraqi security forces.
- First Cav team screens Iraqi Police applicants Army News 21 Jan 2005 -- Hundreds of candidates showed up for the monthly Iraqi Police screening session Jan. 11 held by the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.
- VMA-311's training pays off in combat USMC News 21 Jan 2005 -- The main goal of most military training exercises is to improve combat effectiveness and efficiency in specific areas. Quite often, the skills learned during training are combat-tested in places such as Iraq or Afghanistan shortly after the exercises are complete.
- Civil Affairs Group works with local government to promote voting in Iraq USMC News 21 Jan 2005 -- Marines from the 4th Civil Affairs Group met with the mayor of the local city of Al Qa'im Jan. 15 to discuss the upcoming vote and future of Iraq's government.
- 3rd MAW provides air support to infantry along Syrian border USMC News 21 Jan 2005 -- At a base along the Syrian border, Marines with the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing are going above and beyond to support the infantry in keeping Iraq safe.
- Rumsfeld: Iraqi Elections Will Proceed as Planned AFPS 21 Jan 2005 -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld dismissed speculation that the Iraqi elections "won't happen" or will be delayed beyond Jan. 30 during an inaugural ball here Jan. 20 honoring troops wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- EDITORIAL: ABU GHRAIB TRIAL VOA 21 Jan 2005 -- A U.S. soldier has been found guilty of charges related to the abuse of Iraqi prisoners of war at the Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad. A ten-person jury composed of officers and enlisted personnel took five-hours to convict Army Specialist Charles Graner of dereliction of duty, conspiracy, assault, and indecent acts. He was sentenced to ten-years in jail. Three other prison guards are also facing courts-martial.
- Iraq: Strict Measures Imposed To Improve Voter Safety RFE/RL 21 Jan 2005 -- Up to 13 people were killed and 40 wounded today when a car bomb exploded near a Shi'a mosque in Baghdad as worshippers were celebrating the Eid Al-Adha, one of the most important Islamic holidays. Women and children are among the casualties. It's the latest in a string of deadly attacks and killings by insurgents in Iraq apparently aimed at intimidating voters ahead of the 30 January elections.
- IRAQ / ELECTIONS / SUNNIS VOA 21 Jan 2005 -- In Iraq, the interim Iraqi government and the U.S. military are doubling efforts to improve security in the country and to persuade reluctant Sunni Arabs to vote in elections in less than two weeks. Diyala province, north of Baghdad, is one of several areas where Sunni Muslims are in the majority and where anti-democracy Sunni insurgents have been sowing chaos in recent months. The governor of Diyala is racing against time, and the odds, to try to make peace with angry Sunnis in the region.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list