Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
09 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Soldier Killed in IED Attack
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Seven Ukrainians Killed In Iraq RFE/RL 09 Jan 2005 -- The Defense Ministry in Kyiv says seven Ukrainian soldiers were killed in southern Iraq today while aviation bombs were being loaded. One soldier from Kazakhstan also died.
- Daily Operations Summary for January 8, 2005 MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Today, Multi-National Force - Iraq forces discovered and cleared ten improvised explosive devices, discovered and cleared 12 weapons caches, conducted ten cordon and searches of suspected anti-Iraqi forces (AIF) facilities, conducted two raids on a suspected anti-Iraqi forces facilities and detained 59 suspected AIF.
- Riyadh City Council Member Kidnapped MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- A Riyadh City Council member was kidnapped near Riyadh, January 8, at about 9:00 a.m.
- Three Bodies Found Near Samarra MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers discovered the bodies of three males near Samarra at about 9:30 a.m. on January 8.
- Kidnapped IP Kills One and Wounds Another; Three Captured and one Killed MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers found a body at the site where an abducted IP officer killed one of his kidnappers and wounded another.
- Four Detained in Raid; Three Were Wanted MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained four individuals in a raid near Bayji on Jan. 9 at about 1:00 a.m.
- Eight Detained at Site of IED Attack MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained eight individuals at the site where they were attacked by an improvised explosive device at about 9:25 p.m., Jan. 8 near Kirkuk.
- New hospital opens at Speicher MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- The 67th Combat Support Hospital's contributions to the 1st Infantry Division have gone beyond providing medication and mending injuries, and now include a new building.
- Stryker Team Successfully Defeats Insurgents MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), killed one and injured another anti-Iraqi insurgent following an attack on their convoy on Jan. 8.
- 11 AIF members detained during Operation Therapist MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers from 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, conducted Operation Therapist near Tikrit early on Jan. 9.
- 11 AIF Members Detained During Operation Lanthonid MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers from Task Force 82 conducted Operation Lanthonid near Baqubah early on Jan 9.
- ISF, Marines Seize Weapons Caches; Detain Suspects MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces supported by U.S. Marines from the 1st Marine Division of the I Marine Expeditionary Force discovered a weapons cache in northeastern Fallujah on Jan. 8.
- Multi-National Forces Detain 9 in Mosul MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained nine people wanted for anti-Iraqi activity and collected a variety of weapons and intelligence items during operations on Jan. 8 in northern Iraq.
- ING Finds Weapons cache in Mosque MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- The 106th Iraqi National Guard conducted a cordon and search of the Al Monsour Mosque and discovered a large cache of weapons and munitions in western Mosul on Jan. 9.
- Two Killed, Another Injured at Near Ad Duluiyah MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers engaged a vehicle failing to stop at a traffic control point near Ad Duluiyah on Jan. 9.
- sk Force Soldiers Find cache of Mortars MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- While on patrol, Task Force Baghdad Soldiers found a large cache of several mortars in western Baghdad at approximately 10:50 p.m. Jan. 8.
- Soldiers Find Roadside Bomb in Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers found a road-side bomb in western Baghdad at approximately 7:50 p.m. Jan. 8.
- Detainees Released from Abu Ghraib MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- The Multi-National Force released about 230 security detainees today from its theater internment facility at Abu Ghraib. This was the second release this month, with 260 detainees released on Jan. 1
- Explosion at Ammunition Storage Point MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Seven Ukrainian Soldiers and a Kazakh Soldier were killed in an explosion at an ammunition storage point around noon on Jan. 9.
- Iraqi, U.S. forces Continue to Deplete Insurgents' Weapons and Munitions Inventory MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces supported by U.S. Marines from the 1st Marine Division of the I Marine Expeditionary Force seized a weapons cache in southern Fallujah today.
- Cavalry Engineers Oversee Treatment Plant Restorations MNF-I/MNC-I 09 Jan 2005 -- Engineers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, have made it their priority to rebuild and repair Baghdad's infrastructure.
- Powell: Iraq Elections to Send Insurgents Strong Message AFPS 09 Jan 2005 -- The upcoming Iraqi elections won't bring an end to the insurgency in Iraq, but it's critical that they proceed as planned, Secretary of State Colin Powell said today on CNN's "Late Edition."
- No Alternative to Elections in Iraq, Powell Says Washington File 09 Jan 2005 -- The Iraqi people must be given the opportunity to choose how they will be governed through democratic elections, even though such elections will not suddenly end the insurgency there, Secretary of State Colin Powell said in a series of television news interviews January 9.
- US / IRAQ ELECTIONS VOA 09 Jan 2005 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell says there are no viable alternatives to holding Iraqi national elections as scheduled on January 30th. Mr. Powell responded to comments by a former U.S. official who questioned whether elections will contribute to long term stability in Iraq, as the Bush administration has argued.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list