Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2016 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Army's chief commander felicitates appointment of General Baqeri IRNA 30 Jun 2016 -- Army Commander-in-Chief Major General Ataollah Salehi in a message on Thursday congratulated Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri on the occasion of his appointment to the post of chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces.
- Larijani: Iran to leave nuclear agreement if West does not abide IRNA 30 Jun 2016 -- Majlis (Iranian parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani warned that if the other side does not abide by its commitments in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), it will also do the same and take retaliatory measures.
- Iran Set to Unveil Innovative Missile Defense Systems by March 2017 Sputnik 30 Jun 2016 -- Iran will pass into service cutting-edge missile defense systems by March 2017, local media reported Thursday, citing Brig. Gen. Amir-Farzad Esmaili, commander of Iranian Khatam al anbia air defense base.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Adm. Richardson on the Results of the Investigation into the Seizure of Two Riverine Boats and the Detention of 10 U.S. Navy Personnel by Iranian Forces in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 30 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson, Deputy Chief for Operations, Plans and Strategy Vice Admiral Chris Aquilino
- US Navy Accuses Iran of Violating Int'l Law by Seizing of US Vessels Sputnik 30 Jun 2016 -- US Admiral John Richardson said in a briefing on Thursday that Iran violated international law by seizing US navy vessels near Farsi Island and violated sovereign immunity by videotaping the boats' crewmembers.
- Report: US Sailors Detention by Iranian Forces 'Wholly Preventable' VOA 30 Jun 2016 -- The detention of 10 U.S. sailors by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps earlier this year was "wholly preventable," according to the commander of naval forces in the Middle East.
- Navy Releases Results of Riverine Command Boat, Farsi Island Investigation NNS 30 Jun 2016 -- The Navy released the results of the investigation into the seizure of two riverine boats and the detention of 10 U.S. Navy personnel by Iranian forces today in a press conference at the Pentagon.
- Leader appoints new chief of staff of armed forces IRNA 28 Jun 2016 -- Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Sunday appointed Major General Mohammad-Hossein Baqeri as the new chief of staff of armed forces.
- Iran dismantles anti-revolution team in Kurdistan province ISNA 28 Jun 2016 -- Commander of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Kurdistan Province Mohammad-Hassan Rajabi said the forces have completely dismantled an anti-revolution team in the province, located in western Iran.
- Leader appoints new Iran Armed Forces' Chief of Staff Press TV 28 Jun 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has appointed Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri as the new Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces.
- IRGC forces kill 11 terrorists in northwest Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) forces have destroyed an 11-member gang of terrorists tied to an anti-Iran Kurdish terror outfit.
- Leaked Salaries Cast Iran Officials In Harsh Light, But To What End? RFE/RL 27 Jun 2016 -- Simmering anger in Iran's hard-line media over official salaries has forced President Hassan Rohani's administration onto the defensive with a likely reelection bid for the relative moderate on the horizon.
- Iran to transform air defense power in Persian Gulf, Sea of Oman: Cmdr. Press TV 27 Jun 2016 -- A high-ranking Iranian military commander says the Islamic Republic plans to significantly reinforce its air defense power in the areas covering the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman.
- Commander: IRGC to target terrorists anywhere IRNA 26 Jun 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour underlined that his forces will target the armed groups and terrorist groups at any spot.
- Prosecutor: Key member of terrorist grouplet arrested in Khash IRNA 26 Jun 2016 -- Zahedan Public and Revolutionary Prosecutor Mohammad Marzieh said one key member of a terrorist grouplet was arrested during operations to destroy their circle.
- Iran to target terrorists in any place: IRGC Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Iran is strongly determined to fight terrorism, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' (IRGC) Ground Forces Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour says, adding that the Iranian forces will target terrorists "at any point."
- Iran arrests key member of terrorist group in southeast Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Iranian security forces have arrested one of the main members of the Ansar al-Forqan terrorist group in the southeastern parts of the country, a senior Iranian judicial official says.
- Terrorists gunned down around Mahabad city by IRGC IRNA 25 Jun 2016 -- Public Relations Department of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said on Saturday that its forces gunned down a number of terrorists in shootout around Mahabad city.
- Terrorists killed in western Iran ISNA 25 Jun 2016 -- Forces of Iranian Hamzeh Seyed al-Shohada Base killed a number of terrorists linked to anti-revolution groups in Sarvabad country in Kurdistan Province and Mahabad city in West Azerbaijan Province.
- IRGC engages militants in northwest Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) forces have clashed with Kurdish militants who had infiltrated a northwestern village to stage terrorist and propagandist operations.
- President: No one able to weaken JCPOA IRNA 24 Jun 2016 -- No one inside or outside the country is able to understimate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action reached between Iran and G5+1, President Hassan Rouhani said.
- Iran defensive arrangements not negotiable: Zarif IRNA 24 Jun 2016 -- Iran's defensive arrangements are not negotiable, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Thursday.
- U.S. Diplomat: Boeing Deal Shows It's 'Possible To Do Business With Iran' RFE/RL 23 Jun 2016 -- A U.S. official says a tentative deal between aerospace giant Boeing and Iran demonstrates that Tehran is open for business following the easing of sanctions under a nuclear agreement with world powers.
- Zarif: No one can tear up Iran nuclear deal IRNA 22 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif said on Wednesday that no one can tear up the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), reached between Iran and the six world powers last year.
- Iran's Intelligence Ministry reveals details of foiled Takfiri bomb attacks ISNA 22 Jun 2016 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi revealed the details of several thwarted Takfiri "suicide" bomb attacks across the country.
- Baeedinejad: Investment was subject to fall in absence of JCPOA IRNA 21 Jun 2016 -- Senior member of the nuclear negotiating team Hamid Baeedinejad said on Tuesday that UNCTAD 2015 report dates back to the sanctions era and that the investment was subject to dramatic falls in absence of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Leader urges people of literature to focus on US treason against JCPOA IRNA 21 Jun 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei urged people of literature and poets to try and illuminate public opinion on the US treason against the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran, Boeing ink MoU on purchase of aircraft IRNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Public relations of Iran Air, Iran's national flag airline carrier, announced on Monday that Iran and giant US aviation company Boeing have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for purchase of modern airplanes from Boeing.
- "Parchin's case has been closed" ISNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Spokesman of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said the case of Parchin site has been closed.
- Iran, China to resume talks on Arak reactor modernization Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- A senior Iranian official says Iran and China will resume negotiations on ways to modernize the Arak heavy water reactor.
- Foreign Ministry felicitates Iraqi gov't on liberation of Fallujah IRNA 19 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry congratulated the Iraqi people and government on taking full control of the strategic city of Fallujah in the Western province of al-Anbar.
- President Rouhani stresses JCPOA's importance for country's progress IRNA 19 Jun 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani underlined that Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has provided different groups of people with opportunities to increase their activities.
- Iran to increase crude supply despite low prices: Minister ISNA 19 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Petroleum Minister Bijan Namdar Zangeneh has reiterated Tehran's determination to increase oil production in the face of a downward spiral of global crude prices.
- Commander: Presence in Atlantic Ocean on Navy's agenda ISNA 19 Jun 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy announced that the presence of the country's warships in the high seas, specially Atlantic Ocean, is on the Navy's agenda.
- Larijani felicitates Iraqi counterpart on Fallujah liberation IRNA 18 Jun 2016 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani here on Saturday congratulated the recent liberation of the central city of Fallujah in Iraq to the Iraqi government and people.
- Zarif felicitates Iraqi counterpart on Fallujah liberation IRNA 18 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif extended a message to his Iraqi counterpart Ibrahim al-Jaafari on liberation of Fallujah, a city in Iraqi province of Al Anbar in west of Baghdad.
- Iran's Larijani hails Iraq 'bravery' in Fallujah Press TV 18 Jun 2016 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani has hailed the "brave and brilliant" victory of the Iraqi troops against Daesh Takfiris in liberating the strategic western city of Fallujah from the grips of the terrorist group.
- Iran armed forces will not allow any aggression: Commander IRNA 17 Jun 2016 -- The Iranian armed forces will not allow any acts of aggression against the Islamic Republic, says General Heshmatollah Malekian Commander of the Army Ground Force's Northwestern Base.
- P5+1 must fulfill JCPOA obligations: Iranian official Press TV 17 Jun 2016 -- A senior Iranian diplomat says the P5+1 group of countries must completely fulfill all its obligations, particularly in the banking sector, under the nuclear agreement it reached with Iran last July.
- IRGC busts terrorist groups in northwest Iran Press TV 16 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) forces have engaged in clashes with two terrorist groups in the country's northwest near the border with Iraq, killing a number of terrorists.
- Spokesman: Iran-US talks just in context of nuclear deal IRNA 15 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari on Wednesday said Iran's talks with the US are just in the context of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Leader: Iran to torch JCPOA if US tears it out IRNA 14 Jun 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei warned the presidential nominees of the US to be careful about what they say, and said that Iran will torch the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) if they tear it out.
- Zangeneh: Iran's oil output hits 3.8mbd IRNA 14 Jun 2016 -- Iranian Minister of Petroleum Bijan Zangeneh referred to two-fold increase in Iran's oil exports saying that oil production hit 3.8 million barrels per day.
- Iran's oil production above 3.8m bpd Press TV 14 Jun 2016 -- Iran says its oil production has surpassed 3.8 million barrels per day of which about 2 million barrels are exported.
- Iran security forces kill 5 terrorists in southeastern province Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- Iranian security forces have killed five members of the so-called Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group in the southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan, a police spokesman says.
- Zarif: JCPOA reached thanks to Supreme Leader guidelines, people resistance IRNA 12 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said here on Sunday that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has been reached thanks to the guidelines of the Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei and people's resistance and prayers.
- Larijani: Certain countries seeking to sabotage nuclear deal IRNA 12 Jun 2016 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said certain countries are trying to sabotage the nuclear agreement signed between Iran and six world countries.
- Canadian Court Orders Iranian Assets Handed To Attack Victims RFE/RL 11 Jun 2016 -- A Canadian judge has ordered that Iranian assets be handed over to victims of attacks by Hamas and Hizballah, groups sponsored by Tehran.
- Iran urges reciprocal measures by E3/EU+3 to advance JCPOA implementation IRNA 08 Jun 2016 -- Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Reza Najafi on Wednesday stressed that reciprocal measures and full implementation of the commitments by E3/EU+3 is the essential foundation of the JCPOA.
- Iran reminds IAEA duty to keep confidential information IRNA 08 Jun 2016 -- Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency Reza Najafi on Wednesday reminded the UN nuclear agency to keep the confidential information Iran provides as per the regular report.
- President Rouhani: Removal of sanctions improves people's conditions IRNA 08 Jun 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani underlined the importance of the removal of the sanctions which were imposed against Iran on the economic conditions of Iranians.
- Iran Navy provides safety for 2,500 vessels in high seas: Sayyari IRNA 08 Jun 2016 -- Iran Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habbibollah Sayyari said on Wednesday that so far 41 Iranian fleets dispatched to the Gulf of Aden have succeeded to provide safety of 2,500 cargo and tanker vessels in open seas.
- Spokesman:US report on Iran 'politicized', 'invalid' IRNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said here on Monday that the US recent report on Iran is 'politicized' and 'invalid' due to lack of the most obvious facts.
- Amano: Iran fully committed to JCPOA IRNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano said here on Monday that Iran is fully committed to implement the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) under the United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231.
- Economic official sees JCPOA successful at first stage IRNA 05 Jun 2016 -- Member of Iran Chamber of Commerce said here on Sunday that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has so far been successful in its first stage.
- IAEA chief says JCPOA still 'fragile' ISNA 05 Jun 2016 -- The IAEA Chief Yukiya Amano said that the processing of monitoring the nuclear agreement signed between Iran and P5+1 will last for years.
- US must take concrete, objective steps on JCPOA: Iran FM Press TV 05 Jun 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US should take more objective steps to guarantee international banking transactions with Iran under last year's nuclear agreement between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries.
- Leader urges 'strong answer' to US hostility Press TV 05 Jun 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says Iran has to respond strongly to "totally hostile behavior" of the US government and its Congress.
- Iran strongly reacts to US annual report on terrorism IRNA 04 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari in a statement on Saturday night underlined that unlike the US, Iran has proved in practice to be the most serious and effective force to confront and fight terrorism.
- Spokesman: Talks underway to export heavy water IRNA 03 Jun 2016 -- Spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Behrouz Kamalvandi commented on Friday on purchasing surplus of Iran's heavy water by the US and said negotiations are underway with other countries to this end.
- Supreme Leader: Trusting the US a big mistake IRNA 03 Jun 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Friday that having confidence in the US is a big mistake as most hostilities against Iran come from the 'US and the evil Britain.'
- Commander: Iranian Navy embodiment of country's might IRNA 01 Jun 2016 -- Iran Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habbibollah Sayyeri said the Navy force in Iran was the embodiment of the country's power and might.
- Navy 40th flotilla returns home, ending 55-day mission IRNA 01 Jun 2016 -- The 40th flotilla of Iran's Navy returned home Wednesday after ending its 55-day mission to the remote waters.
- Rafsanjani: Iran's missile industry is of defensive nature IRNA 01 Jun 2016 -- Chairman of the Expediency Council Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Wednesday that Iran's missile industry is of defensive nature.
- 41st flotilla of Iran Navy off to Gulf of Aden ISNA 01 Jun 2016 -- The 41st flotilla of Iranian Navy was dispatched to the Gulf of Aden from Abbas Port, southern Iran.
- Iran unveils indigenous defense tech Press TV 01 Jun 2016 -- Iran has unveiled three homemade defense technologies, including a GPS system, in a ceremony attended by the country's defense minister.
- Iran to Produce Stable Isotopes at Fordow Site Sputnik 01 Jun 2016 -- Iran began production of stable isotopes project facilities, according to the statement of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
- Iran Sends Naval Flotilla on Anti-Pirate Patrol Mission to Gulf of Aden Sputnik 01 Jun 2016 -- Iranian Navy Commander Adm. Habibollah Sayyari said that the 41st flotilla of the Iranian Navy was sent sent for an anti-pirate patrol mission to the Gulf of Aden.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list