Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2009 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Germany to Hold Six-Nation Talks on Iran VOA 31 Aug 2009 -- Germany says it will host six nations this week for high-level talks on Iran's nuclear program.
- Tehran's Hard-Line Prosecutor Moved To State Role, But Little Changes RFE/RL 31 Aug 2009 -- Iran's judiciary chief has named hard-line Tehran prosecutor Said Mortazavi deputy prosecutor general.
- Iran's Parliament To Debate Ahmadinejad's Proposed Cabinet RFE/RL 30 Aug 2009 -- Iran's parliament has begun a three-day session to debate and vote on President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's proposed new cabinet
- U.S. Says IAEA Report Shows Iran Still Not Fully Cooperating RFE/RL 29 Aug 2009 -- The U.S. State Department has said the latest report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) shows that Iran continues its uranium enrichment activities and is not addressing the concerns of the international community over Tehran's disputed nuclear program
- Iran Claims Report 'Vindicated' Nuclear Program VOA 29 Aug 2009 -- A top Iranian nuclear official says a U.N. report has "vindicated" his country's nuclear program as a peaceful one.
- UAE Seizes Ship Allegedly Carrying North Korean Weapons VOA 29 Aug 2009 -- Diplomatic officials say the United Arab Emirates seized a ship earlier this month allegedly carrying North Korean weapons to Iran
- US Says Iran Still Not Addressing International Nuclear Concerns VOA 28 Aug 2009 -- The State Department said Friday the latest International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) report on Iran's nuclear program shows it is still not being responsive to concerns that it might be seeking nuclear weapons. Senior diplomats from major world powers meet next week in Germany to discuss nuclear diplomacy with Iran.
- Iran's Ahmadinejad Calls For Prosecution Of Opposition Leaders RFE/RL 28 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has called for opposition leaders to be punished over the unrest sparked by his disputed election victory
- Ahmadinejad urges severe punishment for post-election rioters RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called for severe punishments to be administered to those behind the unrest that followed the June 12 presidential election, Press TV said on Friday.
- Iran Six representatives to meet in Germany on September 2 RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2009 -- Diplomats from the Iran Six group of countries will discuss the situation around Iran's controversial nuclear program on September 2 in Germany, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- German Leader Warns Iran of New Sanctions VOA 28 Aug 2009 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is pushing Iran to resume talks on its disputed nuclear program, or face new sanctions.
- Iranian President Calls for Prosecution of Opposition Leaders VOA 28 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called for the prosecution of the opposition leaders who led the unrest that followed his re-election in June.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Says No Foreign Link To Leaders Of Unrest RFE/RL 27 Aug 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader, the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has played down hard-line accusations that the leaders of the huge opposition protests that followed the disputed presidential election in June were working for foreign powers.
- US Says Iranian Charges Against American Citizen Unfounded VOA 26 Aug 2009 -- The United States said Wednesday that subversion charges against an Iranian-American academic on trial in Tehran are without foundation and renewed a call for his release.
- Iran's Khamenei Says No Foreign Backers Behind Protest Leaders VOA 26 Aug 2009 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says he does not believe that groups protesting the presidential election results had foreign backing.
- Iran's Khatami Calls Reformers' Confessions 'Lies' VOA 26 Aug 2009 -- Former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami is dismissing the validity of confessions made by his allies at a trial of people arrested for post-election unrest.
- UN Nuclear Agency Prepares to Release Iran Report VOA 26 Aug 2009 -- United Nations nuclear inspectors are expected to release the latest report on Iran's nuclear program later this week, as Western diplomats build a case for stronger sanctions against Tehran.
- Iran Prosecutes Top Reform Figures in Mass Trial VOA 25 Aug 2009 -- Iranian judiciary officials have put several top reformers on trial, including a man considered to be a key leader of the pro-democracy movement.
- Iran Puts More Protesters on Trial VOA 25 Aug 2009 -- Iranian media say Iran has started its fourth mass trial for detainees with charges related to the unrest that followed the June 12 re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iranian Clerics Question Nomination of Women Ministers VOA 22 Aug 2009 -- A conservative Iranian lawmaker says some senior clerics want President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to reconsider his nomination of three women for his new cabinet.
- US Calls Iranian Cabinet Choice 'Disturbing' VOA 21 Aug 2009 -- US expressed concern about Iranian President's choice of a suspected international terrorist figure as the country's new defense minister.
- Iran Cleric Wants Opposition Leaders Detained VOA 21 Aug 2009 -- An influential Iranian cleric has called for the arrest of opposition leaders for their role in demonstrations following June's presidential election.
- Diplomats: Iran Allows UN Inspectors into Nuclear Reactor VOA 20 Aug 2009 -- Diplomatic sources in Vienna: Iran has allowed UN inspectors to visit a nuclear reactor after denying them entry for the past year.
- Lavrov, Clinton discuss Iranian nuclear program talks RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2009 -- Russian FM and US Secretary of State discussed upcoming meeting on Iran's nuclear program.
- Ahmadinejad Cabinet Looks Set For Rough Ride In Iran's Parliament RFE/RL 20 Aug 2009 -- Indications that Iranian President Ahmadinejad will have a tough time getting parliamentary approval for new cabinet.
- Iranian Lawmakers Criticize Ahmadinejad's Cabinet Picks VOA 20 Aug 2009 -- Iranian lawmakers warning that they may challenge President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's picks for his new Cabinet.
- Iran's Ahmadinejad to Reveal Cabinet VOA 19 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will unveil his new Cabinet to parliament.
- Revolutionary Guards Official Calls For Musavi's Arrest RFE/RL 19 Aug 2009 -- Head of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps' Political Bureau: Opposition leader Mir Hussein Musavi should be arrested.
- Iranian Opposition Figure Ready to Present Evidence for Rape Claims VOA 19 Aug 2009 -- Iranian opposition figure Mehdi Karoubi says he is ready to present evidence to support his controversial claims.
- Iranian Official Denies Nuclear Talks 'Without Preconditions' Statement VOA 18 Aug 2009 -- Top Iranian nuclear official denying that he said Tehran ready to hold talks on its nuclear program "without preconditions."
- Iran ready for nuclear talks 'without conditions' - official RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2009 -- High-ranking Iranian official: Iran is ready to hold talks with the West on its nuclear program without any preliminary conditions.
- Taking Over A 'Ruined Place' RFE/RL 18 Aug 2009 -- Ayatollah Sadeq Larijani has been appointed by Iran's supreme leader as head of the judiciary to replace Ayatollah Mahmud Hashemi-Shahrudi.
- Ahmadinejad Moves Ahead With Fresh Cabinet, But Old Challenges Linger RFE/RL 17 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad intends to enter his second term in office with surprising new additions to his team.
- Iran Begins Another Mass Trial Over Postelection Turmoil RFE/RL 17 Aug 2009 -- Some 25 people have gone on trial in a Tehran revolutionary court over alleged involvement in provoking unrest.
- Iranian Police Clash With Protesters Over Banned Newspaper VOA 17 Aug 2009 -- Iranian police clashed with protesters who gathered outside the Tehran office of a reformist newspaper, banned by authorities.
- Iran Puts 28 More Detainees on Trial VOA 16 Aug 2009 -- Iranian media report that 28 more people have been put on trial for their alleged involvement in the unrest following the presidential election in June. Those in court Sunday are being tried on charges of plotting the violence for years.
- Clinton Urges Iran to Release Detained Americans VOA 15 Aug 2009 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged Iran to release all Americans detained in the country, including three hikers arrested last month.
- Iranian Reformists Challenge Supreme Leader VOA 15 Aug 2009 -- A group of Iranian reformists is demanding an investigation into Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, questioning whether he is fit to lead.
- Will Ahmadinejad Be Stronger, Or Weaker, In His Second Term? RFE/RL 14 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has cracked down so hard on postelection protesters that his forceful behavior has precipitated a second crisis that few foresaw -- a battle with mainstream conservative leaders who are the backbone of the establishment and regard Ahmadinejad's aggressive style as a threat to their own interests
- Iranian Cleric Denounces Allegations of Torture Against Jailed Protesters VOA 14 Aug 2009 -- A hard-line cleric in Iran is denouncing allegations that political protesters have been tortured to death while in prison.
- Reported torture of Iranian election protesters worry UN rights experts UN News Centre 13 Aug 2009 -- A group of independent United Nations human rights experts voiced serious concern today over accusations of torture and rough interrogation tactics in connection with trials of protesters of Iran’s disputed presidential elections.
- Iran's Parliament Speaker Rejects Detainee Rape Claims VOA 12 Aug 2009 -- Iran's parliament speaker has rejected claims that some election protesters were raped in detention after the disputed re-election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Amnesty Wants Observers at Iran Trials VOA 12 Aug 2009 -- Human rights group Amnesty International is asking Iran to allow international observers into trials of more than 100 people charged with being involved with protests following the June presidential elections.
- Iranian Nobel Laureate Calls for New Election Under UN Supervision VOA 11 Aug 2009 -- Iranian Nobel Peace Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi repeated her call for a fresh election in Iran, held under the supervision of the United Nations.
- Iran Lawmakers Urge President Ahmadinejad to Pick 'Experienced' Cabinet VOA 11 Aug 2009 -- Several members of Iran's parliament have told President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to pick experienced members for his Cabinet.
- Fresh Trial Targets Iranian Opposition, West RFE/RL 08 Aug 2009 -- Iran has put more opposition activists and protesters on trial in the continuing crackdown against unrest sparked by June's disputed presidential election.
- Iran Rejects Criticism As U.S. Sets Nuclear Talks Deadline RFE/RL 10 Aug 2009 -- Iran is rejecting foreign criticism of the mass trial of opposition protesters, saying the condemnations smack of intervention in its internal affairs.
- Top Revolutionary Guard Official Wants Moussavi and Khatami Tried VOA 09 Aug 2009 -- The political chief of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard force says opposition political leaders should be put on trial for inciting violence during weeks of unrest after Iran's disputed June 12 presidential elections.
- US Official says Iran Confirms Holding 3 Americans VOA 09 Aug 2009 -- President Barack Obama's national security advisor says Iran has confirmed it is holding three Americans who are believed to have strayed into Iranian territory while hiking in northern Iraq.
- EU, Britain, France Condemn Iran Trial VOA 09 Aug 2009 -- Iran faces international condemnation after opening its second mass trial of political detainees charged with provoking unrest during protests against Iran's disputed presidential election
- Iran Tries Second Group of Election Protesters VOA 08 Aug 2009 -- An Iranian revolutionary court held its second session in a week to try dozens of activists, journalists and protesters arrested during weeks of unrest in the aftermath of a disputed June 12 presidential election. Opposition leaders are calling the trials illegitimate.
- Iraq Official Says Americans Seized In Iran Were Lost RFE/RL 06 Aug 2009 -- Senior Iraqi Kurdish government official: US citizens seized by Iranian authorities tourists who accidentally strayed into Iran.
- Flu Fears Prompt Iranian Ban on Ramadan Pilgrimages VOA 06 Aug 2009 -- Iran has banned its citizens from making pilgrimages to Saudi Arabia during Ramadan in an effort to slow the spread of H1N1 virus.
- US Awaits Confirmation from Iran About 3 Missing Americans VOA 05 Aug 2009 -- US: Does not have official confirmation that 3 missing Americans are being detained in Iran.
- Iranian Opposition Protests Ahmadinejad Inauguration VOA 05 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad began his second term in office, as hundreds of opposition supporters took to the streets.
- Could Ahmadinejad's Mix Of Mysticism And Politics Lead To A Power Grab? RFE/RL 05 Aug 2009 -- Until very recently, the West regarded Iran's President Ahmadinejad as Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei's man.
- Hurdles Expected As Ahmadinejad Begins Second Term RFE/RL 05 Aug 2009 -- President Mahmud Ahmadinejad called for national unity and greatness, and said that "it doesn't matter who voted for whom."
- Ahmadinejad Sworn In For Second Term RFE/RL 05 Aug 2009 -- Mahmud Ahmadinejad has been sworn in for a second four-year term as Iran's president and urged the country to "join hands."
- Iranian President Ahmadinejad takes oath of office for 2nd term RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2009 -- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was sworn in for his second term as Iran's president in a ceremony in the country's parliament.
- Iranian President Ahmadinejad Takes Oath of Office VOA 05 Aug 2009 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad took the oath of office for a second term as president in front of Iran's parliament.
- Iranian Official: 3 Americans Detained by Iran Face Interrogation VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- Iranian official: Authorities interrogating 3 Americans detained on charges of entering Iran from Iraq without permission.
- Iran Confirms Detention of 3 American Tourists VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- Iranian state media are confirming Tuesday that Iran has detained three Americans on charges of entering from Iraq without permission.
- Iran to Prosecute Authorities for Detainee Abuse VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- Iran says it will prosecute officials responsible for the harsh treatment of detainees at a detention center that held election protesters.
- Iranian Reformists Call for More Protests VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- Iranian reformist and former presidential candidate Mehdi Karroubi: Protests will continue as President Ahmadinejad prepares to take office.
- Police Clash With Demonstrators in Tehran VOA 03 Aug 2009 -- Iranian riot police and opposition supporters clashed in Tehran, hours after Ahmadinejad was endorsed as president for a second term.
- As Mass Trial Continues, Hard-Liners Demand Arrests Of Musavi And Khatami RFE/RL 03 Aug 2009 -- Main leader of Iran's opposition, defeated presidential candidate Mir Hossein Musavi, so far remains a free man.
- Clinton Appeals to Iran for Information About Missing Hikers VOA 03 Aug 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton urging Iran to provide information about 3 missing American tourists believed detained in Iran.
- Iran's Opposition Leaders Boycott Ahmadinejad Endorsement Event VOA 03 Aug 2009 -- Iran's Supreme Leader formally gave his blessing to incumbent President Ahmadinejad for a second term.
- Ahmadinejad set to be confirmed as Iranian president RIA Novosti 03 Aug 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader expected to officially confirm Ahmadinejad as the winner of the country's disputed June elections.
- Iranian Reformists Criticize Detainees' Trials VOA 02 Aug 2009 -- A former Iranian president and a former prime minister are sharply criticizing the trials of people detained in the nation's post-election unrest, saying the detainees' confessions are invalid.
- Iran Media Confirm Three American Tourists Held in Iran VOA 02 Aug 2009 -- Iranian state television is reporting that border police have arrested three American tourists who allegedly strayed into Iranian territory in a poorly marked mountainous border zone between Iraq and Iran.
- Trial Begins for Iran Election Protesters VOA 01 Aug 2009 -- About 100 Iranian activists and political moderates went on trial Saturday to face charges related to massive protests following the controversial presidential election. The semi-official Fars news agency published images of defendants sitting in a packed Tehran courtroom, some handcuffed in pairs.
- Iran Confirms Arrest of 3 US Tourists VOA 01 Aug 2009 -- Iran's state-owned television, al-Alam, reports Saturday that authorities have arrested three American tourists who illegally entered the country through Iraq's northern border.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list