Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2020 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian Railways to Turn 20,000 Coaches Into Isolation Wards Capable of Holding 320,000 COVID Cases Sputnik 31 Mar 2020 -- Earlier this week, amid a national lockdown, coronavirus cases crossed the 1,000-infected threshold in India. Some analysts view the exodus of migrant workers back to their hometowns, the untended slums, and a population with little awareness of the disease as a ticking time bomb that could cause a literal virus explosion.
- India lockdown triggers migrant worker exodus, fear of viral spread Global Times 30 Mar 2020 -- India is witnessing large-scale migration flows after businesses were shut down in cities amid a nationwide coronavirus lockdown, with experts believing a situation that is most conducive to the spread of COVID-19 is taking shape in the country.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 31 Mar 2020 -- The prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 in the country are being monitored at the highest level and various actions have been initiated in collaboration with the States. Hon'ble Prime Minister is regularly monitoring and reviewing the situation with top officials of the concerned Ministries/Departments and States/UTs.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan reviews the sampling and testing strategy for COVID 19 India PIB 31 Mar 2020 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare held a meeting with senior officials of ICMR, Department of Science & Technology, Bio-technology and CSIR to review the sampling and testing strategy for COVID-19, here yesterday. There was an elaborate discussion on the issues like procurement of reagents, website integration, data management and analysis, dashboards, research studies both planned and done so far etc.
- India's success key to global fight against Corona virus, says Vice President India PIB 31 Mar 2020 -- Vice-President of India and Rajya Sabha Chairman Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu has lauded the efforts of the central and State governments and the resolve, response and cooperation of the people leading to successful implementation of the first week of the nationwide lockdown announced to contain the spread of Corona virus in the country with a population of 130 crore.
- COVID-19 Update: Availability of PPE kits, N95 masks and ventilators India PIB 30 Mar 2020 -- The prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 in the country are being monitored at the highest level and various actions have been initiated in collaboration with the States.
- PM interacts with social welfare organizations India PIB 30 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today interacted with representatives of organizations working towards social welfare, via video conference.
- India's Aviation Behemoth HAL Expects More Orders as It Completes Production of Su-30MKI Sputnik 31 Mar 2020 -- State-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has recorded a turnover of more than INR 21,100 crore ($3 billion) for the financial year ending on 31 March 2020. The company said that the production facility of Su-30MKIs is expected to continue to be in operation as the Indian Air Force may opt for more fighter jets.
- COVID-19: Mass Migration of Workers is a Potential Time Bomb in India, Top Chest Surgeon Says Sputnik 30 Mar 2020 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has apologised to the people of the country for imposing a 21-day lockdown which has led to the mass exodus of thousands of migrant labourers. Workers across the country have marched to their hometowns as the world's biggest lockdown has left them jobless due to the closure of factories.
- COVID19 cases top 1,000 in India SPA 30 Mar 2020 -- The overall number of COVID19 cases in India crossed the 1,000 mark on Monday, dpa reported.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi says social distancing is the most effective way of fighting against COVID-19; urges countrymen to protect themselves and their families. India PIB 29 Mar 2020 -- Sharing his thoughts in Mann ki Baat program, Mr. Modi asserts India will win its fight against COVID-19
- PM addresses 10th Episode of 'Mann Ki Baat 2.0' India PIB 29 Mar 2020 -- Addressing the 10th Episode of 'Mann Ki Baat 2.0', Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi apologized for taking tough decisions, reiterated that the battle against COVID 19 required some tough decisions.
- English rendering of PM's address in the 10th Episode of 'Mann Ki Baat 2.0' on 29.03.2020 India PIB 29 Mar 2020
- India Tightens Rules to Implement Countrywide Lockdown Amid Mass Exodus of Migrant Workers Sputnik 29 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has urged migrant workers to follow the lockdown, as it is essential to protect the country from the coronavirus. Over the last four days, thousands of workers across the country have been marching on the streets as the 21-day lockdown has left them jobless due to the closure of factories.
- COVID-19: Cramped Govt Shelters in Delhi Provide Food But Hardly Any Space for Social Distancing Sputnik 29 Mar 2020 -- More than 125,000 people in the Indian capital Delhi depend on government shelters. As a 21-day lockdown began earlier this week, Delhi's homeless population thronged to these places, overwhelming shelters meant to house only several thousand individuals.
- Indian Railways Turns Coaches Into Isolation Facility for COVID-19 Patients, Leaving Users Impressed Sputnik 28 Mar 2020 -- In a collective fight against the coronavirus pandemic, India has locked down its 1.3 billion citizens until 14 April. All modes of public transports including trains, planes, buses, and even metro and local rails have been suspended until then.
- Elderly People Remain at Risk of COVID-19 in Delhi's Retirement Homes Without Basic Health Kits Sputnik 28 Mar 2020 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his address to the nation, has categorically stated that elderly people older than 60 must stay indoors, as they are more prone to catching the virus.
- India Records Highest Number of Deaths as Health Ministry Reports Drop in Rate of COVID19 Cases Sputnik 27 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 21-day lockdown to contain the spread of COVID 19, calling it a "critical step in the decisive fight against the corona pandemic."
- India buys Israeli arms as doctors demand facemasks Press TV 27 Mar 2020 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided to go ahead with an arms deal worth hundreds of millions of dollars with Israel, while healthcare workers in the country are grappling with a serious lack of masks and protective equipment in their fight against the coronavirus outbreak.
- India Rejects American Scientists Prediction of 1.3 Million Domestic COVID-19 Cases by May Sputnik 26 Mar 2020 -- Media Must Refrain from Reporting Isolated Cases
- India Deploys Defence Units to Help Civilian Authorities in the Fight Against COVID-19 Sputnik 26 Mar 2020 -- India is ramping up its resources and facilities to meet surging demand for protective gear as cases of COVID19 have gone up. The country has already gone into lockdown mode for 21 days in a bid to break the cycle of infection.
- Thousands of Foreigners Set to Leave for Home Amid 21 Days Lockdown in India Sputnik 26 Mar 2020 -- India is under a 21-day lockdown in an attempt to control the spread of the coronavirus. The authorities have suspended all international and domestic flights until 14 April, leaving thousands of foreign nationals stuck in India.
- GOM reviews current status, and actions for management of COVID-19 India PIB 25 Mar 2020 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan highlights critical importance of social distancing, home quarantine protocols & supporting Doctors/Medical staff combating COVID-19
- Dharamsala on Lockdown as Tibetan Man Dies of COVID-19 in India Radio Free Asia 25 Mar 2020 -- A Tibetan man living in India died this week of coronavirus shortly after returning from a visit to the U.S. and was quickly cremated, with his wife and other persons he had recently been contact with now held in medical isolation, Indian health officials said.
- India may have higher number of unreported COVID-19 infections Global Times 25 Mar 2020 -- India, the world's second most populous country, may have a large number of unreported COVID-19 infections, as more than 1.3 billion people undergo three weeks of unprecedented lockdown from today, Chinese analysts said on Wednesday.
- 1.3 Bln Indians Enter Day 1 of National Lockdown at Dawn of Hindu, Kashmiri, Marathi New Year Sputnik 25 Mar 2020 -- In India, the Hindu calendar, which is based on the position of planets and constellations - determines the time of traditional festivals every year, which are otherwise not marked in the popular Gregorian date-chart. One such planetary alignment marks the beginning of the year in several parts of the country.
- PM calls for complete lockdown of entire nation for 21 days - PM addresses the nation on COVID-19 India PIB 24 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi called for a complete lockdown of the entire nation for the next 21 days beginning at midnight tonight in an effort to contain the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Text of PM's address to the nation on Vital aspects relating to the menace of COVID-19 India PIB 24 Mar 2020
- States Briefed on Lockdown Measures and Guidelines including exemptions to contain the COVID-19 Epidemic in the country India PIB 24 Mar 2020 -- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, in exercise of the powers under the National Disaster Management Act, 2005, has issued an Order today, directing the Ministries/ Departments of Government of India, and the State/Union Territory Governments and State/ Union Territory Authorities to take effective measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
- UPDATE on COVID-19 India PIB 24 Mar 2020 -- The prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 in the country are being monitored at the highest level and various actions have been initiated in collaboration with the States.
- India Goes into Complete Lockdown to Combat Coronavirus VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- India imposed a three-week nationwide lockdown from midnight on Tuesday, banning people from leaving their homes as it scrambled to break the chain of transmission of coronavirus in the country.
- India Imposes Lockdown to Combat COVID-19 SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- India authorities imposed today a lockdown for three weeks to combat the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Indian Prime Minister Announces 21-Day Complete Lockdown To Contain the Spread of Coronavirus Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- With the positive number of cases reaching 500 on Tuesday, India is taking strong measures to control the spread of COVID19. The government has directed authorities to ensure the strict implementation of its orders.
- India Gets First Domestic COVID-19 Test Kits Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- India has declared a country-wide lockdown to contain the spread of coronavirus. While 492 people have tested positive for the illness in India, experts have been saying the number would be much more if wide-scale tests were conducted.
- COVID-19: Lockdown across India, in line with WHO guidance UN News 24 Mar 2020 -- India's decision to impose a 21-day lockdown, which was announced on Tuesday, comes after a call from the UN health agency, WHO, for the country to take "aggressive action".
- India's Limited War Capability Hit Hard as Procurement Worth Billions Halted due to COVID-19 Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- On Monday, India issued instructions to restrict movement at all military establishments, cantonments, and formations. While numbers of coronavirus cases across the country are on rise, there is a lone case reported in the armed forces.
- Indian Navy Tracks Fast Chinese Warship Near Andaman Islands Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- The Indian Navy has enhanced its surveillance procedures after Forbes reported that the Chinese Navy had deployed at least 12 underwater drones in the Indian Ocean. In December 2019, navy chief Admiral Karambir Singh warned that any vessels entering India's Exclusive Economic Zone would be forced to withdraw.
- Capital outlay for Defence Budget India PIB 23 Mar 2020 -- M/o Finance has allocated Rs 1,13,734.00 crore for BE 2020-21 under Grant No. 20-Capital Outlay on Defence Services, which is an increase of Rs 10,339.69 crore over BE 2019-20 allocation and Rs 3,339.69 crore over RE 2019-20 allocation. In RE 2019-20 Rs 7,000 crore increase has been given reversing the trend of no allocation/reduced allocation at RE stage.
- Defence export of the country India PIB 23 Mar 2020 -- Various reforms/steps have been taken to enhance Defence exports. These reforms have provided a big boost to defence exports in the recent times. The authorisation for defence exports in the country have grown seven folds in the last two years.
- Modernisation of Defence Industry India PIB 23 Mar 2020 -- The following steps have been taken by the government which would help in bringing in critical technologies and modernize the Defence Industry in the country:-
- Prime Minister to continue his interactions with various stakeholders in India's fight against COVID-19 India PIB 23 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi shall continue his interactions with various stakeholders in India's fight against COVID-19.
- India Locks Down 75 Districts To Contain COVID-19 VOA 23 Mar 2020 -- India said Sunday it is locking down 75 districts across the country in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
- Covid-19: PM Modi Asks Industries Not To Cut Jobs, Despite Negative Business Impact Sputnik 23 Mar 2020 -- Last week, during his national address in view of the coronavirus disease Covid-19, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced setting up a Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman-headed task force to assess impact of the pandemic on the country's economy.
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 22 Mar 2020 -- Cabinet Secretary and the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister reviewed the status, actions taken and preparedness regarding management and containment of COVID-19 in a high level with Chief Secretaries of States through a video conference, here today. The increase in the number of confirmed cases during the last few days was discussed. The Central Government impressed upon the States the need for urgent and effective interventions.
- India Falls Silent as It Observes 14-Hour Lockdown VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- The sound of silence descended on India as hundreds of millions hunkered indoors Sunday in response to a call by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to observe a voluntary 14-hour lockdown as a surge in coronavirus cases deepens worries about the pandemic in the world's second most populous nation.
- PM interacts with all CMs to combat COVID-19 India PIB 20 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today interacted with Chief Ministers of all states via Video Conferencing to discuss measures to combat COVID-19.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Phone Call With Indian Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh DoD 20 Mar 2020
- Text of Prime Minister's address to the nation on combating COVID-19 India PIB 19 Mar 2020
- PM addresses nation on combating COVID-19 India PIB 19 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed the nation on combating the challenge of COVID-19. On the occasion of 'Navratra', Prime Minister made nine requests to the people.
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 19 Mar 2020
- India Cautiously Braces Itself to Tackle the Second Stage of Coronavirus Spread Sputnik 19 Mar 2020 -- The first case of coronavirus in India was recorded in the southern state of Kerala on 30 January. Since then, the number of infected people has risen to 149 with four deaths.
- India suspends int'l flights to land in its territories for one week, effective March 22 SPA 19 Mar 2020 -- The government of India decided today to suspend all international commercial flights to land in its territories for one week, effective March 22, 2020, to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
- Ministry of Defence signs Rs 880 crore contract for Light Machine Guns with Israeli firm India PIB 19 Mar 2020 -- The Indian Armed Forces' long-standing requirement of a modern state-of-the-art Light Machine Gun (LMG) has finally fructified. The Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence has signed the capital acquisition contract with Israel Weapons Industries for procurement of 16,479 LMGs at a cost of Rs 880 crore with the approval of Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh.
- Agreement with USA for Supply of Arms India PIB 18 Mar 2020 -- One contract and two Letters of Offer and Acceptance (LOAs) have been concluded with the US side for procurement of Helicopters and Self Protection Suite. The delivery of the helicopters will commence from May, 2021.
- Import of Defence Equipment India PIB 18 Mar 2020 -- An amount of Rs. 45,705.57 crore has been spent on the import of Defence equipment during the year 2018-19. Percentage of Defence Budget (Defence Services Estimates) spent for the financial year 2018-19 on salaries is 46.10% and on Defence Research & Development Organisation (excluding Salaries) is 4.42%.
- India says 276 citizens have tested positive for coronavirus overseas SPA 18 Mar 2020 -- A total of 276 Indians have tested positive for coronavirus overseas to date, an Indian government minister said on Wednesday, according to Reuters.
- PM chairs review meeting on COVID-19 India PIB 18 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi chaired a high-level meeting to review the ongoing efforts to contain COVID-19.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan reviews actions taken and further preparedness on Novel Coronavirus (COVID 19) India PIB 18 Mar 2020 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare chaired a high level review meeting with senior officials of the Ministry, MS/Director of Central Government Hospitals such as Safdurjung, Dr RML Hospital and AIIMS, here today.
- India Shuts Down Taj Mahal, Ramps Up Measures to Control Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- India has closed the iconic Taj Mahal, one of the world's most visited tourist sites, as it battles the spread of coronavirus.
- Posts Open for Women in Defence Forces India PIB 16 Mar 2020 -- Women officers are commissioned into Corps of Engineers (Engrs), Corps of Signals (Sigs), Army Air Defence (AAD), Army Service Corps(ASC), Army Ordnance Corps (AOC), Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (EME), Army Education Corps (AEC), Judge Advocate General (JAG) Department, Intelligence Corps (Int), Army Aviation (AA), Army Medical Corps (AMC), Army Dental Corps (ADC) and Military Nursing Service (MNS) branches of the Indian Army.
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 16 Mar 2020 -- Ministry of Health issues Comprehensive Advisory on Social Distancing
- COVID-19: India Suspends Pilgrimage to Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- The total number of positive cases of COVID-19 in India has gone up to 93 as of 15 March. India has reported two COVID-19 related deaths to date.
- PM's Opening Remarks at Video Conference of SAARC Leaders on combating COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020
- PM's Remarks on Way Forward at Video Conference of SAARC Leaders on combating COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020
- PM's Concluding Remarks at Video Conference of SAARC Leaders on combating COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020
- PM interacts with SAARC leaders to combat COVID-19 in the region India PIB 15 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi interacted with the leaders of the SAARC countries through video conference to chart out a common strategy in order to combat COVID-19 in the region.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan reviews status, actions and preparedness on COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020 -- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family reviewed the status, actions taken by States\UTs, and their preparedness regarding prevention, containment and management of COVID-19, here today.
- India Declares Coronavirus a 'Notified Disaster' Sputnik 14 Mar 2020 -- As per the latest statistics from India's Ministry of Health, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the country has reached 84 (including foreign nationals) with two deaths as of Saturday evening. Besides this, the number of passengers screened at airports has reached 1,229,363.
- Update on COVID-19 India PIB 13 Mar 2020 -- The Government of India, along with States/UTs, has taken several preemptive, timely and proactive measures for prevention, containment and management of COVID-19.Continuous review and monitoring of the situation at the highest political and administrative levels perpetuated decisive preventive and pre-emptive actions in public interest such as travel restrictions, suspension of visas and self-quarantine measures.
- 76-Year-Old Man Dies in India Marking Nation's First COVID-19 Death Sputnik 13 Mar 2020 -- Towards the end of 2019, a novel coronavirus outbreak originating in the Chinese city of Wuhan begin its march to becoming a global pandemic. The cause of the virus is linked to China's unregulated trade and consumption of exotic wildlife animals including bats, snakes, and birds.
- Status Update – Management of Covid-19 Cases by MOD India PIB 12 Mar 2020 -- Ministry of Defence has mobilised all necessary resources to support the national effort towards the management of COVID-19 cases.
- Update on COVID-19: Preparedness and Actions taken India PIB 12 Mar 2020 -- Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) is now officially a global pandemic. With over 118,000 coronavirus cases sweeping across 114 countries of the world, the World Health Organization declared it a pandemic yesterday.
- India Quarantines Itself' to Isolate Country from Deadly Infection VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- India has virtually shut itself off from the world in an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus as it suspended entry for foreign nationals for a month, except for those from a handful of categories.
- Export of Tejas Fighter Jet India PIB 11 Mar 2020 -- HAL is currently producing Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) - Tejas, to meet Indian Air Force requirements. In order to export LCA to other friendly countries, the following activities have been carried out:-
- Indian Defence Ministry Rules Out Raising Army Units Based on Caste Sputnik 11 Mar 2020 -- Currently, there are several regiments and units which are named after caste, community and region - like Jat, Sikh, Rajput, Dogra, Mahar, Jammy and Kashmir Rifles, Gorkha and the Sikh Light Infantry
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 11 Mar 2020 -- On the directions of the Hon. Prime Minister, a high level Group of Ministers (GOM) was constituted to review, monitor and evaluate the preparedness and measures taken regarding management of Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), in the country.
- Update on COVID-19 - India Evacuates its citizens from Iran India PIB 11 Mar 2020 -- Government of India has undertaken evacuation operations from several countries in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak to bring back Indian citizens as well as nationals from other countries..
- Update on COVID-19 - Cabinet Secretary chairs high level review meeting India PIB 10 Mar 2020 -- Cabinet Secretary held a high-level meeting, here today, with Secretaries of the concerned Ministries/Departments to review the status, actions, preparedness and management of COVID-19 cases in the country.
- Evacuation by India of its citizens and other nationals from COVID-19 affected countries India PIB 09 Mar 2020 -- Government of India undertook evacuation operations from several countries in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak. The Wuhan city in Hubei province of China had become the epicenter of the COVID-19 and there were hundreds of Indians stuck in the city. India engaged with China to safely evacuate its citizens and citizens of other friendly nations on a priority basis.
- Two Killed, Several Injured in Blast at Indian Army Ammunition Depot in Kashmir - Police Sputnik 09 Mar 2020 -- The explosion took place at the Khundru depot in the south of the Kashmir district, a police official said. Khundru is one of the biggest ammunition depots in the Kashmir valley.
- Number of COVID-19 cases rise to 43 in India People's Daily 09 Mar 2020 -- India's federal health ministry Monday said total number of COVID-19 cases in the country has risen to 43 with four new cases reported.
- India Confirms New Case of Coronavirus in 3-Year-Old Boy - Reports Sputnik 09 Mar 2020 -- Doctors in the Indian state of Kerala have diagnosed the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in a three-year-old boy, who had recently returned from Italy with his family, the Indian NDTV broadcaster reported on Monday.
- Southern Indian State Moves To Contain Bird Flu Outbreak VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- A southern Indian state has begun a three-day bird culling process to contain an outbreak of avian influenza, also known as bird flu.
- Spurt in Coronavirus Cases Prompts India to Take New Precautions VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- For weeks India, the world's second most populous country, stayed alert but hopeful that it was escaping the worst of the coronavirus outbreak – only three cases had been detected in a southern state among students who returned from China.
- 25 new COVID-19 cases found in India People's Daily 04 Mar 2020 -- As many as 25 new cases of COVID-19 have been detected in India since Tuesday, said the country's Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on Wednesday.
- Indian PM appeals to countrymen to reduce mass gatherings due to COVID-19 People's Daily 04 Mar 2020 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday announced that due to COVID-19 scare, he won't attend any program in the run-up to the festival of colors Holi, that falls on March 10 this year.
- Cabinet Secretary holds a review meetingon COVID-19 India PIB 03 Mar 2020 -- Cabinet Secretary held a review meeting through video conference,here today, with the Secretaries of concerned Ministries, Chief Secretaries and Health Secretaries of the States to review and assess action taken for containment of COVID-19.
- Defence Expenditure as a part of GDP India PIB 02 Mar 2020 -- As per the table below, Defence Expenditure is increasing every year in absolute terms implying higher spending.
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 02 Mar 2020 -- Adequate measures are being taken to combat COVID-19; people are advised to take precautions and to report immediately in case of any symptoms: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list