Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2018 - India Special Weapons News
- India's Modi Facing Tough 2019 Election Year VOA 31 Dec 2018 -- Several months ago, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was considered unbeatable and his Bharatiya Janata Party a sure frontrunner in general elections that are months away. But after the opposition Congress Party snatched some of the party's key bastions in state polls, he enters 2019 facing questions on whether the BJP can take victory for granted.
- Indian Army Claims to Have Killed 2 Pakistani Intruders in Jammu & Kashmir Sputnik 31 Dec 2018 -- According to Indian Army officials, the intruders wearing combat dresses of Pakistani regulars were assisted by the heavy fire of machine guns, mortars, and rockets from the Pakistani posts. The movement was detected by the army men deployed along the LoC and they fired on the intruders.
- India Approves $1.4Bln for First Manned Spaceflight to be Launched in 2022 Sputnik 28 Dec 2018 -- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has developed and demonstrated most of the baseline technologies essential for undertaking a human spaceflight mission. Prior to the actual launch, two unmanned flights in full complement will be carried out to gain confidence on the technology and mission management aspects.
- India's Anti-Terror Agency Busts Terror Cell, Seizes Explosives & Weapons Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- India's NIA has said that terrorists belonging to a new *Daesh-inspired cell were planning to carry out remote-controlled explosions and suicide bombings at multiple locations across the country. The alleged terrorists, whose identities are yet to be revealed, were reportedly in touch with a foreign agent.
- India Takes Over Iran's Strategic Chabahar Port RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- India has formally taken over operations at Iran's strategic Chabahar Port, a move that could have significant geopolitical ramifications in the region.
- India, Myanmar Conduct First Ever Military Exchange Programme Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The effort aimed at promoting mutual trust between the defence forces of Myanmar and India is part of the latter's strategy to counter increasing Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean region.
- India Successfully Tests Agni-IV Nuclear-Capable Missile - Reports Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- India carried out on Sunday yet another successful launch of its Agni-IV ballistic nuclear-capable missile at the Integrated Test Range located on Abdul Kalam Island, The Economic Times newspaper reported, citing the Indian Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- 6 killed by Indian soldiers in new day of Kashmir unrest Press TV 22 Dec 2018 -- On another deadly day in the disputed region of Kashmir, six people have been killed by Indian soldiers during an attack in the section of the region under the control of the New Delhi government.
- Indian Air Force Chief Praises Russian Arms, Bilateral Military Cooperation Sputnik 20 Dec 2018 -- Indian Air Force Chief BS Dhanoa has lauded Russian-manufactured military equipment, claiming the armaments have played pivotal roles in various air campaigns undertaken by India.
- Jammu & Kashmir: Terror-Infested Indian State Set to Go Under President's Rule Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The central government has recommended the imposition of president's rule in the northernmost Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir at the behest of a report submitted by the state governor.
- GSLV-F11 successfully launches GSAT-7A Press Information Bureau 19 Dec 2018-- Indian Space Research Organisation's (ISRO) Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F11) successfully launched the communication satellite GSAT-7A from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota today.
- India Succesfully Launches Military Communications Satellite Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The Indian Air Force's (IAF) long pending dedicated communications GSAT-7A satellite is set to radically transform the country's network-centric warfare capabilities, as it will be able to accomplish all communication-related tasks, whether standalone or network-dependent, that are part of defence preparedness and operations.
- Indian Navy Adds More Teeth With 5th Landing Craft Ship Near Strait of Malacca Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The Indian Navy is looking to bolster its military capabilities at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, situated near the Strait of Malacca - one of the world's major maritime choke-points.
- India Defends Decision to Procure Short-Range Russian Air Defence System Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The Russian-made Igla-S Air Defence System was recently declared the lowest bidder for the Indian Army's Very Short Range Air Defence System (VSHORADS) program, beating Saab's RBS 70NG and MBDA's Mistral. Responding to the defeat, Saab alleged that the Igla-S does not meet the performance requirements outlined in the original tender document.
- Taking Cue From Doklam, India Builds 18 New Border Outposts Near Bhutan Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), India's border force, has built 18 new outposts in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh over the past year, after Indian and Chinese forces engaged in a bitter standoff at Doklam – a disputed territory.
- Indian army locks down Kashmir to prevent protests Press TV 17 Dec 2018 -- Indian authorities have put pro-independence leaders in New Delhi-controlled Kashmir under house arrest and enforced a security lockdown on the region's main city to foil a planned march against the recent civilian killings by India's troops.
- Indian forces lock down Kashmir, hold pro-independence leaders after weekend violence Press TV 17 Dec 2018 -- Indian authorities have locked down parts of the disputed region of Kashmir after seven people were killed and dozens more wounded in army fire in the restive Himalayan valley over the weekend.
- Indian Court Sentences Politician to Life in Prison VOA 17 Dec 2018 -- In the most significant conviction relating to deadly anti-Sikh riots that swept India in 1984, a senior politician of the opposition Congress Party has been sentenced to life imprisonment.
- China, India strengthen military cooperation to combat terrorism People's Daily 17 Dec 2018 -- A joint military training between the Chinese and Indian military is underway in Chengdu, the capital city of southwest China's Sichuan Province.
- 7 Kashmir civilians shot dead by Indian troops Press TV 15 Dec 2018 -- Seven civilians have been killed and nearly two dozen injured when Indian troops fired on protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Russia, India reach 'unprecedented' military agreements Press TV 14 Dec 2018 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has held "intensive discussions" with his Indian counterpart in New Delhi, where they reached an "unprecedented" level of military and technical cooperation, despite increasing pressure from the United States.
- India Gets First Private UAV Production Facility with Israeli Support Sputnik 14 Dec 2018 -- The 20-acre facility will start operations with the manufacturing of complete carbon composite aerostructures for the Hermes 900 UAV, followed by the Hermes 450 UAV, catering to the global markets.
- Indian Parliament's Lower House Adjourns Over Rafale Deal Verdict Uproar Sputnik 14 Dec 2018 -- The Indian Parliament's lower house, also called Lok Sabha, has been adjourned until December 17 after there was an uproar in the House over the Supreme Court's verdict in favour of the government on the Rafale fighter jets deal.
- Relief for Indian Gov't as Supreme Court Refuses to Order Probe in Rafale Deal Sputnik 14 Dec 2018 -- India's major opposition party the Indian National Congress had alleged there was a major scam in the procurement of 36 Rafale fighter jets from France in 2016 under a government to government deal by the Narendra Modi government.
- India, Russia Set Up Working Group for Military Co-operation Sputnik 13 Dec 2018 -- During the 18th meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) held in New Delhi on Thursday, the two countries agreed to set up an additional institutional working group.
- India Killed Highest Number of Terrorists in J&K in 2018 - Home Ministry Sputnik 12 Dec 2018 -- India's home ministry says 238 terrorists were eliminated in Jammu and Kashmir in the last 11 months, the highest killing of militants in recent history as compared to 200 in 2017. The number of terrorism linked offences also saw a steep rise during the period.
- India Negotiating Purchase of Russian Igla-S Missile System - Indian Def Min Sputnik 12 Dec 2018 -- India's Minister of State for Defense Subhash Bhamre said in the parliament that the case of purchase of the missile system is at contract negotiation stage with Rosoboronexport of Russia, the L1 vendor, which has offered Igla-S missile system.
- Indian Navy Inducts Its First Submarine Rescue Vessel Sputnik 12 Dec 2018 -- Joining the elite club of nations, the Indian Navy has commissioned its first deep submergence rescue vehicle (DSRV) along with associated equipment- built by the UK's James Fisher & Sons.
- Assembly polls results: Congress gets majority in Chhattisgarh; TRS sweeps Telangana All India Radio 12 Dec 2018 -- In 90-member Chhattisgarh assembly, 89 results have been declared. Congress has got majority by winning 67 seats and leading on 1 while BJP bagged 15 seats. BSP got two seat. JCC(J) has bagged five.
- Indian Air Force Holds Simultaneous Joint Exercise With US, Russian Counterparts Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Indian Air Force is using only Russian origin systems during the ongoing joint exercise Aviaindra at the western air base in Rajasthan that coincides with the Cope India exercise between the Indian and the US Air Force currently underway at the eastern air base in West Bengal.
- Mandate in Five States Indicate People's Disillusionment With Modi - Opposition Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Shashi Tharoor, senior leader of India's main opposition party Congress, claims that the defeat of BJP, to which Indian PM Modi Belongs to, in five states that recently went to polls indicates not only the failure of the party's government in the states but also indicates of people's disillusionment with PM's rhetoric and failed promises.
- Huge Setback for Modi's BJP in Indian State Assembly Elections Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) has suffered a huge setback since it has lost all five states that recently went to the polls to elect new legislative assemblies. The setback has presented a major challenge to the party that currently holds the reins at the centre and is seeking a second term in the general elections due in April next year.
- Modi's Ruling Party Suffers Big Losses in India State Polls VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party conceded defeat in two stronghold states while it remains locked in a tight race in a third, according to official counts from state elections that began in mid-November. This would be Prime Minister Narendra Modi's biggest loss since taking office four years ago and precedes general elections set for 2019.
- Indian troops kill 3 militants in Kashmir, spark local protests Press TV 10 Dec 2018 -- Indian troops have killed at least three pro-independence militants in New Delhi-controlled Kashmir's main city, Srinagar, prompting angry protests by residents against the Indian government.
- India, Russia to Finalize Logistic Support Agreement Soon Sputnik 10 Dec 2018 -- The proposal for a logistic support agreement was made by Russia in July this year. As the defense ties between the two countries are deep and intense, it took less than five months for them to complete the draft agreement in comparison to the 2016 agreement with the US that almost a decade to be finalized.
- A Year Later: India-China Resume Joint Military Exercise Sputnik 10 Dec 2018 -- The two countries had suspended the annual military exercise in 2017 following a 73-day bitter standoff at the Doklam plateau which ended thanks to diplomatic efforts in August 2017.
- India Test-Fires its Longest Range Nuclear Capable Ballistic Missile Agni-V Sputnik 10 Dec 2018 -- Considered a major deterrent against China, Agni-V is expected to join India's Strategic Forces Command very soon. The missile is capable of hitting targets anywhere in Asia, and parts of Africa and Europe.
- Russian Warships Arrive in India for Joint Military Drills Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- A detachment of the Russian Pacific Fleet entered the eastern Indian port city of Visakhapatnam on Sunday to participate in the joint Russian-Indian military drills Indra Navy 2018, the fleet's press service said.
- India Has Made Up Its Mind to Lease Akula Class Nuke Sub From Russia - Reports Sputnik 05 Dec 2018 -- After contracting for the purchase of Russian S-400 air missile systems, India is set to sign more defence deals with Russia. Signals emanating from the defence ministry indicate that the proposal to lease another Akula-class submarine has acquired all major clearances.
- India's First Fully Private Satellite Placed in Orbit by SpaceX Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- The ExseedSat-1, built with the contributions of several ham operators and with the help of small Indian firms, is expected to play a major role during natural disasters as it facilitates effective two-way communication through a simple hand-held walkie-talkie with a beam antenna.
- India Setting Up Coastal Battery for BrahMos Missile in Bay of Bengal Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- As the Bay of Bengal is also known for its rough terrain and weather, India expects the land-based mobile coastal battery to become the most effective defence against the enemy.
- India, Russia Mull More Payments in National Currencies After S-400 Deal - Envoy Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- India and Russia are considering the possibility of making payments for defence contracts in national currencies more often after closing the ruble-denominated deal for the delivery of Russian S-400 missile systems to India, Indian Ambassador to Russia D. Bala Venkatesh Varma told Sputnik.
- All Issues Pertaining to Serviceability of MiG-29K Sorted Out - Indian Navy Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- MiG-29K, being the choice of aircraft for both the aircraft carriers, viz. INS Vikramaditya and an under-construction domestically-produced aircraft carrier, as well as two naval air stations on the East and West coast, is the mainstay of the Indian Navy's air defence fleet.
- Remarks to press by Secretary Mattis prior to an advanced honor cordon welcoming Indian Minister of Defense Sitharaman to the Pentagon DoD 03 Dec 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis at an advanced honor cordon welcoming Indian Minister of Defense Sitharaman to the Pentagon DoD 03 Dec 2018 -- Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis; Indian Minister of Defense Nirmala Sitharaman; Ajay Kumar, Secretary, Department Of Defence Production, India; Ken Juster, U.S. Ambassador to India; John Rood, U.S. Undersecretary of Defense for Policy; Lieutenant General Charles Hooper, Director of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency; Richard Spencer, Secretary, U.S. Navy; Michael Griffin, U.S. Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering; Joe Kernan, U.S. Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Staff
- Logistic Sharing Agreement With Russia in the Offing - Indian Navy Chief Sputnik 03 Dec 2018 -- If the agreement is concluded, Russia would be the fourth country with which India will have such agreement with. India has already signed militarily logistics sharing agreements with the US, France, Oman, and Singapore. Australia too has sent a draft agreement.
- Chinese Submarine Tracked in the Indian Ocean in October - Indian Navy Chief Sputnik 03 Dec 2018 -- China has maintained that its deployment of warships in the Indian Ocean is primarily to support anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden. However, ever since October, when a Chinese submarine was spotted for the first time since the Doklam stand-off last year, India has chosen to view its activity with caution.
- US, India to 'Sort Out' Sanctions Waiver for S-400 Purchase - Mattis Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- US and Indian officials in coming days will sort out all issues related to the United States possibly waiving sanctions against India for its purchase of Russian S-400 air defense systems, Secretary of Defense James Mattis said at the Pentagon.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list