Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- India Successfully Test-Fires Surface-to-Air Missile Barak 8 Sputnik 30 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Defense Ministry on Thursday successfully carried out the test of a long range surface-to-air-class missile (LRSAM) system, dubbed Barak 8, manufactured jointly by India and Israel, local Odisha TV broadcaster reported.
- India Defers Joint Missile Test With Israel for Unknown Reasons Sputnik 29 Jun 2016 -- India has deferred a crucial test-launch of a missile for unspecified reasons after it was originally scheduled to be fired on Wednesday.
- Achieving Self-Reliance: India Produces Homegrown Torpedo Sputnik 29 Jun 2016 -- In a major boost for India's defense, its first indigenous torpedo "Varunastra" has been launched.
- India Joins Missile Control Regime: 'Now Has Role in Setting Geopolitics' Sputnik 27 Jun 2016 -- India officially joined the Missile Control Technology Regime as a full member on Monday.
- India Joins Missile Technology Control Regime Partnership Sputnik 27 Jun 2016 -- India on Monday became the 35th member of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) partnership, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement.
- India Joins the Missile Technology Control Regime US Dept. of State 27 Jun 2016
- White House: India Will Enjoy 99% of US Defense Technologies Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- According to a senior White House official, India will gain access to almost 99 percent of US defense technologies after it is recognized as a 'Major Defense Partner'.
- 8 Killed in Rebel Attack on Police Convoy in Kashmir VOA 25 Jun 2016 -- Eight police officers were killed Saturday during a militant ambush in Kashmir, India.
- Kashmir Militants Kill Eight, Injure 20 Indian Police Officers in Ambush Sputnik 25 Jun 2016 -- Eight Indian security personnel were killed and 20 more injured in a gunfight with militants in the northern state of Jammu and Kashmir, according to local media.
- India to Buy 145 M777 Howitzers From US - Defense Ministry Sputnik 25 Jun 2016 -- The India's Defense Acquisition Council approved purchase of 145 M777 howitzers from the United States, according to an official statement.
- India Carries Out Flight of Su-30 Equipped With BrahMos Missiles Sputnik 25 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Air Forces conducted on Saturday a demonstration flight of Su-30 fighter equipped with Russian-Indian supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles, BrahMos Aerospace said in a statement.
- Indian Army Objects Development Along Border with China Sputnik 24 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Army is opposing development projects in the country's northeast, warning that border roads could facilitate possible infiltration.
- India Wants More Frequent Military Drills in Southeast Asia Sputnik 23 Jun 2016 -- India's steadily growing engagement with South East Asian nations is not indicative of India's confrontational mood with China.
- India to Fast Track Critical Defense Deals Including S-400 Defense System Sputnik 23 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Defense Acquisition Council's upcoming meeting is expected to take a final review of a number of critical defense deals that have been in limbo due to a number of reasons.
- India sends 20 satellites into space in single mission Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- India has successfully sent 20 satellites into space in a single mission, a record-breaking event for the country's space agency that received its premier's warm praise.
- India Successfully Puts Record 20 Satellites Into Orbit – Space Agency Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- India has launched a record 20 satellites from its Satish Dhawan space center on the Sriharikota island off eastern coast, the national space agency said early Wednesday.
- South China Sea Deployment: Indian Navy's Warships Visit South Korea Sputnik 21 Jun 2016 -- In a demonstration of India's 'Act East' policy and the Indian Navy's increasing footprint and operational reach, the Indian Naval Ships Sahyadri, Shakti and Kirch have arrived at Busan, Republic of Korea as part of the deployment of the Eastern Fleet to the South China Sea.
- China Doesn't Consider India a Candidate for Nuclear Supplier's Club Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- China has said that the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) members are still divided on whether India should be permitted to join, and that Indian membership is not on the agenda for the Seoul meeting.
- India Voices Hopes of Joining Nuclear Suppliers Club by End of 2016 Sputnik 19 Jun 2016 -- India hopes to become member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) by the end of 2016, Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said Sunday.
- India Optimistic of China's Support for Membership in Nuclear Group VOA 19 Jun 2016 -- India is optimistic that China will not block its bid for membership of the Nuclear Supplier Group, the 48 countries controlling nuclear commerce and sensitive technology. With the backing of the United States, India has been lobbying hard before a key meeting in Seoul on June 23 to gain entry into the elite club.
- India Inducts Three Women Fighter Pilots for First Time VOA 18 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Air Force has inducted three female fighter pilots marking the first time one of the world's largest militaries has opened the door to women in combat roles.
- View From Above: India to Launch High Resolution Surveillance Satellite Sputnik 17 Jun 2016 -- India's soon to be launched Cartosat-2 series satellite is capable of monitoring foreign troops, allowing the country's military to detect incursions and other activities.
- Up and Away: India's Trainer Aircraft Makes Its First Flight Sputnik 17 Jun 2016 -- India has produced a trainer aircraft, the Hindustan Turbo Trainer-40; the plane took off for its first official flight in Bangalore on Friday.
- China refutes "incursion" in disputed border region with India People's Daily 16 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said Wednesday that Chinese frontier guards carried out routine patrols on the China-controlled side of border with India.
- Indian Space Agency Embarks on Launch of 22 Satellites on Single Mission Sputnik 16 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is bracing for a landmark rocket launch on 20 June by placing as many as 22 satellites into orbit.
- India to Establish Marine Police Force to Counter Terrorist 'Frogmen' Sputnik 16 Jun 2016 -- Sensing a major threat from frogmen and the marine wing of terror outfits like the Lashkar-e-Taiba, India, for the first time, is seriously considering creating a special marine police force.
- Around 250 Chinese Soldiers Enter Indian Territory, Leave Hours Later Sputnik 14 Jun 2016 -- There had been another incident of incursion from the Chinese PLA, when 250 of them entered Indian territory but left after few hours.
- India Explores American, Israeli & German Torpedoes for Its Submarines Sputnik 14 Jun 2016 -- After cancelling a 300 million Euro deal for Black Shark torpedoes manufactured by WASS, a subsidiary of Leonardo-Finmeccanica, India is now looking for alternatives.
- Global nuclear weapons: downsizing but modernizing SIPRI 13 Jun 2016 -- The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) today launches its annual nuclear forces data, which highlights the current trends and developments in world nuclear arsenals. The data shows that while the overall number of nuclear weapons in the world continues to decline, none of the nuclear weapon-possessing states are prepared to give up their nuclear arsenals for the foreseeable future.
- India's MiG-27 Fighter Jet Crashes in Northern Jodhpur, Pilots Survive Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- The both pilots ejected safely, the Indian Air Force said.
- Mishap at India's Largest Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya, 2 Dead Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- A gas leak from the sewage treatment plant in the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya has claimed two lives. INS Vikramaditya has been undergoing a refit at the naval base in Karwar since June 1.
- Pathankot AFB Tightens Security, Braces Itself for Another Terrorist Attack Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- Security has been tightened at the Indian air force base in Pathankot following a warning from intelligence agencies.
- US, Indian, Japanese Maritime Forces to Participate in Malabar 2016 NNS 09 Jun 2016 -- Naval ships, aircraft and personnel from India, Japan and the United States are scheduled to participate in the annual exercise Malabar 2016, June 9-17.
- Indian PM Modi Addresses US Congress, Calls for Closer Ties VOA 08 Jun 2016 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed a joint meeting of the U.S. Congress on Wednesday and called for a closer relationship between India and the U.S., particularly in the area of terrorism.
- India Takes Aim at Domestic Weapons Sector, Starts with Helicopter Rockets Sputnik 01 Jun 2016 -- The second most populated country on the planet looks to make strides away from dependence on Western arms manufacturers in an unprecedented change to national policy.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list