Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- Massive Indian Ammo Dump Erupts in Giant Fireball, Inquiry Underway Sputnik 31 May 2016 -- A giant explosion and ensuing flames claimed the lives of 16 people at the largest Indian ammo dump in Pulgaon, located 115 km from Nagpur.
- First Indian-Made Training Aircraft Completes Successful Flight Sputnik 31 May 2016 -- The indigenously developed HTT-40 basic trainer aircraft took off and landed smoothly at Bengaluru, marking a key milestone towards its delivery and use.
- Iran rejects Bahrain espionage, interference allegations Press TV 30 May 2016 -- Iran has categorically rejected as "unfounded" espionage and meddling allegations by the Bahraini regime against the Islamic Republic.
- Indian Air Force Revives Advanced Landing Ground Just 40km From China Sputnik 30 May 2016 -- The Indian Air Force now has one more advanced landing ground in the country's strategically important northeast, with plans to modernize ten more airfields in the east.
- India Presses Ahead With Space Ambitions VOA 29 May 2016 -- Indian scientists pronounced the testing of an indigenously developed reusable space rocket this week, "Mission accomplished successfully."
- Russia, India Determine 14 Possible Purchasers of BrahMos Cruise Missiles Sputnik 27 May 2016 -- The Russia-India committee has determined 14 countries including Chile, Vietnam, the United Arab Emirates, South Africa, which can purchase the Indo-Russian supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles, according to BrahMos Aerospace enterprise spokesman Praveen Pathak.
- Take Off: India & Russia Poised to Agree Development of Fifth Gen Fighter Sputnik 27 May 2016 -- India and Russia are set to embark on an ambitious mission to co-develop one of the most advanced Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA). Experts say hail the decision, as western countries are reluctant to actual transfer of technology.
- On Target: Test Launch of India's Supersonic BrahMos Missile a Success Sputnik 27 May 2016 -- The Indian Air Force has successfully test fired an upgraded version of its BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from an airbase in the western sector.
- France Cuts Price on Rafale Jets for India to $8.6Bln Sputnik 25 May 2016 -- Paris has agreed to decrease the pricing of its long-awaited deal on Rafale fighter jets with New Delhi by some 7-8 percent, local media reported Wednesday.
- India Proposes France Disposes: France Rejects Bank Guarantee for Rafale Sputnik 25 May 2016 -- France has rejected the offer of a bank guarantee and is now waiting for further communication from India.
- Collateral Damage: India Cancels Another Defense Deal With Italy Sputnik 25 May 2016 -- The decision comes in the wake of a bribery scandal that came to light after an Italian court found there were irregularities in a chopper deal involving AgustaWestland, another subsidiary of the firm.
- India to Purchase Israeli Spyder Air Defense Systems Worth $270 Mln Sputnik 26 May 2016 -- New Delhi will purchase Israeli Spyder air defense systems worth $270 million, local media reported.
- Iran to hold joint navy drills with India on Friday ISNA 25 May 2016 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the country is to hold joint navy drills with India on Friday.
- India Launches Country's First Reusable Carrier Rocket Sputnik 23 May 2016 -- India successfully launched on Monday its first-ever reusable carrier rocket, local media reported Monday.
- Pakistan Reacts Strongly to Latest Indian Missile Tests VOA 19 May 2016 -- Pakistan reacted with "serious concerns" to archrival India's recent test-firing of an anti-ballistic missile system and nuclear-armed submarine-based missiles in the Indian Ocean.
- India Successfully Tests Nuclear-Capable Prithvi II Missile Sputnik 18 May 2016 -- India has successfully test-fired its supersonic interceptor missile, the Indian Defense Ministry said Wednesday.
- Indian Air Force to Fly 'Tejas' Homemade Combat Aircraft Sputnik 17 May 2016 -- Chief of Indian Air Force has test flown an indigenously designed and produced Light Combat Aircraft - Tejas, giving the go ahead to roll it out into active operations.
- Big Leap: Indian Space Agency Sets Sights on Homemade Space Shuttle Sputnik 16 May 2016 -- The Indian space agency has an ambitious program, and is now taking the first steps towards developing its very own 'space shuttle' program.
- India Successfully Test Fires First Supersonic Interceptor Missile Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- India successfully test fired its supersonic interceptor missile from Odisha coast on Sunday, India's Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) said.
- Blame Game: Pakistan Accuses India of Lobbying to Block F-16 Sale Sputnik 13 May 2016 -- In the latest war of words between India and Pakistan, the latter has now accused India of lobbying to block the sale of F-16 fighter aircraft to Islamabad by the US.
- US, India discussing ways to curb Chinese submarines Press TV 02 May 2016 -- The United States and India are exploring ways to help each other track Chinese submarines, a move that could further tighten their military alliance against the Chinese navy's growing influence in the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean.
- India's First Conventional Submarine to Join Navy After Successful Test Sputnik 01 May 2016 -- India's first conventional submarine, Kalvari, will be commissioned into the Indian Navy after a successful test, according to Indian Navy spokesman.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list