Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- India Gets Raytheon Stinger Missiles as Part of $3.1Bln Deal With US Sputnik 30 Mar 2016 -- US defense contractor Raytheon announced that India will acquire some 245 Stinger air-to-air missiles complete with launchers and requisite support.
- Indian DM Urges to Speed Up Signing of Ka-226T Helicopter Production Deal Sputnik 30 Mar 2016 -- Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said that it was necessary to put in every effort to expedite the signing of the contract for the production of Russian Ka-226T light utility multirole helicopters for India.
- Russia prepared to sell S-400 missile systems to India Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Moscow is ready to sell five S-400 Triumph anti-aircraft missile systems to India at a request made by New Delhi late last year, Russia's Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) says.
- Moscow, New Delhi in Talks on Modernization of Indian Submarine Fleet Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Sergey Goreslavsky, who is deputy director general of the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport, said that Russia and India are negotiating the prospects for the development of the Indian Navy's diesel-electric submarine fleet.
- India Interested in Buying Russian Integrated Security Systems Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- India is going to obtain Russia's advanced integrated security systems.
- Pakistan, India Cooperate in Airbase Attack Probe VOA 28 Mar 2016 -- A team of Pakistani investigators is in India to probe a deadly terror attack on an Indian airbase earlier this year that New Delhi has blamed on Pakistan-based militants. The assault, in which seven Indian soldiers died, set back efforts to resume talks between the rivals, but the joint probe is being seen as a sign of cooperation.
- Washington 'worried' over India missile test Press TV 26 Mar 2016 -- The United States has expressed concern over India's recent test-launch of a ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads.
- Pakistan Lodges Protest After Arresting 'Indian Spy' RFE/RL 25 Mar 2016 -- Pakistan says it has arrested an Indian intelligence officer, sparking a new diplomatic row between the two rival neighbors.
- Indian Navy Sub-Hunting Reconnaissance Aircraft Touches Down in Seychelles Sputnik 23 Mar 2016 -- The Indian navy has deployed a P 8I maritime reconnaissance aircraft to the Seychelles to undertake surveillance of the 115-island archipelago, which is located off the coast of East Africa.
- Russia Discusses Licensing Admiral Grigorovich Frigate Production to India Sputnik 23 Mar 2016 -- India and the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport are discussing plans to set up licensed production of Admiral Grigorovich class frigates under the Make in India program, the company said on Wednesday.
- India Signs $5.5Bln-Worth of Military Procurement Deals in Six Months Sputnik 15 Mar 2016 -- Indian defense ministry signed 28 contracts - 18 with Indian companies and 10 with firms from Russia, the United States, Sweden and Israel - totaling to approximately $5.5 billion, according to official statement.
- India test-fires nuclear-capable surface-to-surface missile Press TV 14 Mar 2016 -- India has successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable surface-to-surface missile with a range of 700 kilometers.
- India Carries Out Another Successful Test of Nuclear-Capable Agni-I Missile Sputnik 14 Mar 2016 -- According to reports, India conducted another successful test of the Agni-I medium range ballistic missile.
- India Disagrees US F-16 Sales to Pakistan to Help 'Combat Terrorism' Sputnik 13 Mar 2016 -- The defense minister of India has denounced the US decision to sell a set of Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, saying the aircraft won't help Islamabad in fighting terrorists acting within the country.
- India Rejects Joint Naval Patrols with US in South China Sea VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- India has ruled out participating in joint patrols in the South China Sea proposed by the United States. Experts say that India wants to focus on containing Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean and despite a growing strategic partnership, it remains wary of being part of a military alliance with Washington.
- India Launches Satellite to Join Indian Regional Navigational System Sputnik 10 Mar 2016 -- India successfully launched into orbit the IRNSS-1F satellite, the sixth one to join the Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS), the Indian Space Research Organization said in a statement on Thursday.
- India's Gujarat on high alert over militant infiltration concerns Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- India has deployed elite security forces to Gujarat amid concerns over the infiltration of a group of militants from Pakistan into the country's westernmost state, police say.
- US, allies announce new drills near South China Sea Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- The US has announced an upcoming joint military exercise with India and Japan in the Philippine Sea, close to the Chinese territorial waters in the South and East China Seas where Beijing and Washington have been locked in a heated standoff.
- Suicide Attack Targets India's Consulate In Eastern Afghanistan RFE/RL 02 Mar 2016 -- A suicide attack targeted India's diplomatic compound in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad on March 2, with explosions and gunfire rattling the diplomatic district.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list