Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- India to Equip Submarines With Russian-Indian BrahMos Missiles Sputnik 29 Jan 2016 -- India plans to equip new submarines with BrahMos cruise missiles, made jointly by India and Russia, the head of the Russian missile manufacturer NPO Mashinostroyenia said Friday.
- Indian Company Mulls Joint Construction of Warships With Russia, UK Sputnik 29 Jan 2016 -- India's shipbuilding company Bharatu Shipyard, which has a license to build warships in India, has been discussing with Russian and British companies the joint construction of naval vessels, the Mumbai-based newspaper The Economic Times reported on Friday.
- Russia, India Begin Work on 200 Ka-226T Helicopter Production Agreement Sputnik 28 Jan 2016 -- According to Russian Helicopters company, Russia and India have commenced a joint project to produce 200 Ka-226T helicopters.
- India, France to Build 6 Nuclear Reactors at Jaitapur Plant Sputnik 25 Jan 2016 -- India's Foreign Secretary stated that India and France intend to construct six nuclear reactors within the framework of the Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project.
- India to Cooperate With France on Next Mission to Mars Sputnik 25 Jan 2016 -- France will participate in India's next Mars mission, according to India's Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.
- India, Russia Slash Fifth Gen Fighter Jet Development Costs by 40% Sputnik 25 Jan 2016 -- India's Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd and Russia's Sukhoi negotiators cut the costs of Fifth-Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) project joint project from $12 billion to $8 billion.
- France, India Sign Agreement on Purchase of 36 Rafale Aircraft Sputnik 25 Jan 2016 -- Narendra Modi said that India and France have signed an intergovernmental agreement on the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter aircraft from Paris.
- India launches fifth navigation satellite People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- India Wednesday successfully launched its fifth navigation satellite from the spaceport of Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Indian Airbases to Undergo Security Checks After Militant Attack Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Indian airbases will undergo security checks after a militant attack that killed at least seven security personnel earlier this year, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Saturday.
- Pakistan, India Postpone Talks After Air Base Attack RFE/RL 15 Jan 2016 -- India and Pakistan postponed talks scheduled for January 15 after a fatal attack on an Indian air base waged by a banned extremist group based in Pakistan.
- India, Pakistan Cooperate in Terror Probe VOA 14 Jan 2016 -- New Delhi has welcomed Pakistan's offer to send a special team to help India in its investigation of a deadly attack at an Indian air-force base in a sensitive border area.
- Pakistan Claims Arrest of Militants Behind Indian Airbase Attack VOA 13 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan said Wednesday it has arrested 'several individuals' belonging to the Jaish-e-Mohammad militant group that India suspects masterminded the deadly assault earlier this month on an Indian airbase.
- Pakistan Determined to Help India Probe Air Base Attack VOA 08 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan on Friday reiterated its resolve to cooperate with India on investigating last week's militant assault on India's Pathankot air base that left several security personnel dead and 22 others wounded. The base, located in India's northern Punjab state, is about 50 kilometers from the border with Pakistan.
- India Identifies Air Base Attack Mastermind as Jaish-e-Mohammed Group Head Sputnik 08 Jan 2016 -- The Indian intelligence services identified the 'handlers' of an attack on its air base as chief members of the Jaish-e-Mohammed extremist group, with the plan of the attack conceived in Pakistan, local media reported Friday.
- Indian Kashmir Leader's Death Brings More Political Uncertainty RFE/RL 07 Jan 2016 -- The leader of India's Jammu and Kashmir state has died, bringing political uncertainty to the disputed region at the center of tensions between India and Pakistan.
- India Urges Pakistan To Take 'Firm' Action After Base Attack RFE/RL 05 Jan 2016 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has urged his Pakistani counterpart to take 'firm and immediate action' against those behind an attack on an Indian air base near the country's border with Pakistan.
- India: 6 Airbase Attackers Dead, Security Operation Ongoing VOA 05 Jan 2016 -- India's defense minister said Tuesday a total of six militants have been killed after an attack on an airbase in northern India, and that the multi-day effort to secure the site was ongoing.
- India forces searching air base for militant after battles Press TV 04 Jan 2016 -- At least one attacker still remains at an Indian air force base in the northern state of Punjab, which recently came under attack by a group of heavily-armed militants, with security troops still working to secure the place.
- Siege Ends Near Indian Consulate In Northern Afghanistan RFE/RL 04 Jan 2016 -- Afghan officials say the siege near India's consulate in northern Afghanistan has ended after all the attackers were killed.
- Pakistan-based Militants Claim Attack on Indian Air Base VOA 04 Jan 2016 -- An alliance of more than a dozen militant groups called the United Jihad Council, based in Pakistani Kashmir, has claimed responsibility for an attack by heavily armed gunmen on a strategic Indian airbase in Pathankot town, about 50 kilometers from the border with Pakistan.
- Siege Ends Near India Consulate in Afghanistan VOA 04 Jan 2016 -- Afghan officials say security forces have killed all four heavily armed assailants who have been holed up since Sunday night in a building near India's consulate in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif.
- Death toll of Indian security forces in airbase attack rises to 7 People's Daily 03 Jan 2016 -- The death toll of Indian security forces personnel in Saturday's terror attack on a key Indian Air Force base in the northern state of Punjab has touched seven.
- New gunfire erupts at Indian air force base in Punjab Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- A fresh gun battle has erupted at an Indian air force base in the northern state of Punjab that had been attacked by suspected militants a day earlier with the loss of about a dozen lives.
- Death toll from attack on Indian air force base rises to 10 Press TV 03 Jan 2016 -- The death toll from an attack on an Indian air force base in the northern state of Punjab has risen to at least ten people, including six members of security forces and four militants.
- Reports: Indian Consulate In Afghan City Attacked RFE/RL 03 Jan 2016 -- Fighting between security forces and gunmen was reported to have continued in the early hours of January 4 around the Indian consulate in the northern Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif.
- India Successfully Competes User-Assisted Tests of Pinaka II Rocket System Sputnik 03 Jan 2016 -- India has successfully completed user-assisted trials of its multiple launch rocket system Pinaka II, at the Pokhran field firing range in India's northern state of Rajasthan, local media reported on Sunday.
- Battle for Control of Indian Air Base Enters 2nd Night VOA 03 Jan 2016 -- The battle for control of an Indian air base near the Pakistan border entered a second night on Sunday, more than 36 hours after the compound came under attack. Authorities say at least seven troops and four gunmen had been killed by nightfall, with 12 others wounded.
- Punjab airbase operation over, 7 killed, including two India soldiers Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- India says its security forces have repelled an attack by gunmen on an airbase in the northern state of Punjab, ending an operation that led to the death of seven people.
- Seven Dead After Gunmen Attack Indian Air Force Base VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- Seven people were killed at an air force base in India's northern Punjab state in a terror attack that is being seen as an effort to derail recent peace efforts between India and Pakistan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list