Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2015 - India Special Weapons News
- India, Russia to Resume Co-Development of 5th Generation Fighter Jet Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Russia and India will continue their co-development of a fifth-generation fighter plane after signing an experimental design contract, India's defense minister said on Friday.
- Offset Obligation Dispute Hinders France-India Rafale Deal - Reports Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- India's purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets from France is impeded by disputes over offset requirements.
- India Withdraws Request for 126 Rafale Fighters From France Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- India has withdrawn its request for 126 multirole Rafale fighters from France, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Friday.
- 1993 Bombay bombings convict hanged in India Press TV 30 Jul 2015 -- India has executed the only death row convict in the country's deadliest terror attack, the 1993 Bombay bombings, which killed a total of 257 people.
- India Tightens Pakistan Border Control After Punjab Attack Sputnik 27 Jul 2015 -- Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that authorities have tightened control on the border with Pakistan after a terrorist attack.
- Land sale isn't for Chinese military base, says Maldives People's Daily 25 Jul 2015 -- India has no need to worry about Chinese military expansion under the Maldives' new policy that allows foreigners to buy its land, observers have said, after the islands vowed to keep the Indian Ocean a demilitarized zone.
- India Hopes to Benefit From Easing of Iran Sanctions VOA 23 Jul 2015 -- India, one of the handful of countries that continued to trade with Iran despite tight sanctions, hopes to reap significant, long term benefits when Tehran's nuclear deal with major powers is implemented. However, its exporters are also bracing for tougher competition from Western companies.
- Indian Intelligence Services Warn of Rise in Terror Activities in Kashmir Sputnik 21 Jul 2015 -- A report by Indian intelligence agencies warned about growing terrorist activity in the northern Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. The agencies also expressed concern over the online recruiting strategies being used by various militant groups in the area.
- India says to acquire 36 French fighter jets on Air Force approved configuration People's Daily 21 Jul 2015 -- India said Tuesday that it would acquire 36 Rafale fighter jets from France on Indian Air Force- approved configuration only.
- India Starts Talks With France on Rafale Jets Purchase Sputnik 21 Jul 2015 -- New Delhi and Paris started negotiations on delivering 36 multirole fighter jets Rafale to India.
- Russia Ready to Supply to India as Many Mi-17V-5 Helicopters as Needed Sputnik 21 Jul 2015 -- 'Rosoboronexport' signed a contract on delivering 151 Mi-17V-5 helicopters to India.
- Russian 'Hoodlum' Heads to India: 200 Helicopter Deal Bolsters Defense Ties Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- Russia and India have reportedly signed a deal to jointly manufacture 200 military helicopters as part of an ongoing plan to intensify strategic relations between the two BRICS states.
- Pakistan shows concerns over 'Indian offensive posture' People's Daily 19 Jul 2015 -- Pakistan on Sunday expressed deep concern over the 'unprovoked ceasefire violations' by the Indian security forces at the Line of Control (LoC) in the disputed Kashmir region and the offensive posture adopted during the last few days.
- India Invites Foreign Contractors to Help Build Advanced Carrier Sputnik 18 Jul 2015 -- The Indian Navy has reportedly sent requests for proposals to four potential foreign contractors to assist it in constructing a state-of-the-art aircraft carrier.
- Pakistan urges UN to investigate truce violation on India border Press TV 17 Jul 2015 -- Pakistan has called for the United Nations peacekeeping force stationed on its border with India to investigate recent ceasefire violations in the region.
- Russia Chooses India for Most Expensive Private Warship-Building Project Sputnik 16 Jul 2015 -- Russia has chosen an Indian affiliate for the world's most expensive private sector warship-building project, to construct Talwar-class frigates for the Indian Navy, the Economic Times reported on Thursday.
- Russia chooses Indian private shipyard for building frigates - media TASS 16 Jul 2015 -- Russia has chosen the private shipyard Pipavav in India for the joint construction of the Talwar class frigates (patrol ships of Project 11356, India's Economic Times newspaper reported on Thursday.
- Indian Navy's Quest: 200 Warships in Next 10 Years Sputnik 16 Jul 2015 -- The Indian Navy aims to have 200 warships in the next 10 years, with three aircraft carriers in each of the three naval commands.
- India, Pakistan Hail Shanghai Group As New Economic Axis RFE/RL 11 Jul 2015 -- India and Pakistan, the newest prospective members of a growing economic club formed by Russia and China in the Eurasian region, have hailed the emergence of an economic axis not centered around the West.
- India-Pakistan Tensions Ease After Leaders Meet VOA 10 Jul 2015 -- A meeting between Indian and Pakistani leaders on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Summit in Russia on Friday produced a thaw in tense relations between the South Asian rivals.
- Kazakhstan To Deliver 5,000 Tons Of Uranium To India RFE/RL 08 Jul 2015 -- Kazakhstan and India have signed a contract for the delivery of 5,000 tons of Kazakh uranium to New Delhi over the next five years.
- India's Space Program to Launch Its Heaviest Commercial Mission to Date Sputnik 07 Jul 2015 -- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to undertake its heaviest commercial mission to date, launching five British satellites on July 10.
- India urged to repeal soldiers' impunity IRIN 02 Jul 2015 -- A law preventing civilian courts from prosecuting security personnel in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir has led to a quarter century of human rights abuses, Amnesty International said in a report urging the government to repeal the legislation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list