Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2015 - India Special Weapons News
- Ukraine 'Lost Without Trace' Five Indian Warplanes During Planned Upgrade Sputnik 30 Mar 2015 -- Five of India's 40 AN-32 military transport aircrafts being upgraded in Ukraine have gone missing 'without a trace'; Ukrainian diplomat says the government is unable to help.
- India successfully launches 4th navigation satellite People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- India on Saturday successfully launched a navigation satellite from the southern spaceport of Sriharikota, the state-owned space agency sources said.
- India Launches Fourth Satellite in Effort to Develop Own Navigation System Sputnik 28 Mar 2015 -- The IRNSS-1D navigation satellite was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at the Sriharikota Island in the southern part of the country.
- India Tops List of Russian Arms Buyers in 2014 Sputnik 27 Mar 2015 -- India was the largest buyer of Russian arms and military equipment in 2014, accounting for 28 percent of shipments, the director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) said Friday.
- Indian Navy Aircraft Crashes Into Sea Leaving Two Missing Sputnik 25 Mar 2015 -- One survivor was rescued, and a large-scale search and rescue operation was underway to locate two more officers.
- India wants to lease another Russian nuclear submarine - source TASS 24 Mar 2015 -- India has asked Russia to transfer another nuclear submarine for lease, a high-placed source in the system of Russia's military and technical cooperation with foreign countries said on Tuesday.
- India Envisages Arms Exports to 38 Countries - Defense Minister Sputnik 23 Mar 2015 -- India is considering the possibility of exporting its defense products and training its troops in at least 38 countries, the country's defense minister said Monday.
- Russia's Su-30 fighters upgraded to carry supersonic cruise missiles TASS 19 Mar 2015 -- Russian Sukhoi Su-30 (Flanker-C) multirole fighter jets are getting an upgrade to carry supersonic cruise missiles. The planes will be modernized both for the Russian Air Force and the Indian military aviation.
- Indian Air Force to Use Russian-Indian Missile by 2016 Sputnik 18 Mar 2015 -- The short-range supersonic BrahMos cruise missile was jointly developed by Russia and India and has been in use by the Indian Navy since 2005.
- India Refuses to Negotiate With France on Rafale Jets Price Sputnik 18 Mar 2015 -- Earlier, Indian media reported that New Delhi might pull out of the $20-billion deal with Dassault on the acquisition of 126 Rafale fighters over high costs and the company's refusal to guarantee the performance of Rafales produced in India.
- BrahMos Missile to Enter Service in Indian Air Forces in 2016 Sputnik 18 Mar 2015 -- A further 10 tests will be conducted by the end of the year. In May, a test flight with the launching system for the missile will be held.
- India becomes world's largest arms importer in 2010-2014 - study TASS 16 Mar 2015 -- India, Saudi Arabia, China, the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan became the world's five major arms importers in 2010-2014, according to new data published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) on Monday.
- UK to Offer Eurofighters Should India Scrap Rafale Deal Sputnik 12 Mar 2015 -- The United Kingdom is ready to offer Eurofighter aircraft if India's long-disputed deal to acquire French Rafale jets falls through, UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said Thursday.
- India Struggles to Contain Worst Swine Flu Outbreak Since 2009 VOA 11 Mar 2015 -- India is struggling to contain a wave of swine flu. The death toll has surpassed 1,500 since the infection took hold in mid-December.
- India Considers Buying Russian Fighter Jets Instead of French Rafale Sputnik 09 Mar 2015 -- India is looking to pursue a large-scale joint project with Russia for stealth Fifth-Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA), following a standoff with France over a deal to acquire its Rafale jets, the Times of India reported Monday citing defense sources.
- India to invest $25 billion in fifth-generation fighter joint project with Russia - media TASS 09 Mar 2015 -- India is ready to seal a big project with Russia for the stealth fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), The Times of India wrote referring to the country's defense ministry.
- US eyeing sanctions on three Indian firms over Iran ties Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Speculations are rising that the US administration may impose sanctions on several top India oil companies over their energy ties with Iran.
- U.S.-India Space Security Cooperation: A Partnership for the 21st Century US Dept. of State 05 Mar 2015 -- Remarks by Frank A. Rose, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Arms Control, Verification and Compliance
- India, Pakistan Agree to Ensure Peace Along Border Sputnik 03 Mar 2015 -- The Foreign Secretary of India Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and his Pakistani counterpart Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry agreed to ensure peace along the border during the meeting in Pakistan's capital Islamabad on Tuesday.
- India to Launch 4th Navigation Satellite for Communications Security Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- India will launch the fourth of seven satellites in its navigation system in a move to join the ranks of space-faring nations, a senior official in the Indian Space Agency said on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list