Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2012 - India Special Weapons News
- India test fires Brahmos missile with new systems IRNA 30 Mar 2012 -- India on Friday test fired the Brahmos supersonic cruise missile with certain new systems from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
- India successfully test fires multi barrel 'Pinaka' rocket IRNA 30 Mar 2012 -- India's multi barrel rocket launcher weapon system 'Pinaka' which could neutralize a large area with a rapid salvo of rockets was successfully test fired on Thursday.
- India and Russia to Develop Hypersonic Cruise Missile RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2012 -- Russia and India are in talks to jointly develop a hypersonic cruise missile and will soon agree on a general outline of the design, the head of the BrahMos Indian-Russian cruise missile program, Praveen Pathak, said on Friday at the Defexpo defense show in Delhi.
- India's Arms Market: Everyone In, Nobody Out RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2012 -- Russia has arrived at the DEFEXPO 2012 exhibition in India in the shadow of its own recent failures and the success of Western weapons manufacturers on the Indian arms market.
- India's Brahmos supersonic cruise missile test fired successfully IRNA 28 Mar 2012 -- India on Wednesday successfully test fired Brahmos supersonic cruise missile as part of a user trial by the Army from the test range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
- India's N-plants produce 32,000 million units of power IRNA 28 Mar 2012 -- India on Tuesday achieved a milestone in nuclear power generation, touching 32,000 million units, a target that nuclear operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) had set for this fiscal.
- India offers help in search of orphan radioactive sources IRNA 28 Mar 2012 -- Offering assistance through the global nuclear watchdog IAEA, India on Tuesday said that it can help in search and recovery of orphan radioactive sources in countries that were unable to effectively deal with them.
- Leaked Letter Reveals Indian Army Weaknesses VOA 28 Mar 2012 -- The head of India's army says obsolete defense equipment and a shortage of weapons have weakened the country's defense capabilities.
- China-India military exchanges to help build more trust: China IRNA 27 Mar 2012 -- Days after India and China agreed to have maritime cooperation, Beijing has favoured greater military ties with New Delhi, saying such exchanges would help build more 'confidence and trust' between the two countries.
- Go for time-bound acquistions so as to phase out MiGs: panel IRNA 27 Mar 2012 -- Noting that 50 per cent of MiG fighter aircraft with Air Force have crashed and India is the only country still flying them, a parliamentary Standing Committee has emphasised on time-bound initiatives to acquire new aircraft and phase out old ones.
- Moscow May Help India Build Closed-Cycle Submarines RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2012 -- Russia has offered help India build air-independent (closed cycle) propulsion systems for installation in Amur 1650 class submarines and also to equip future possible joint Indian-Russian built vessels, Viktor Komardin, the deputy head of Rosoboronexport's delegation said at the Defexpo Indian defense show on Tuesday.
- India offers to launch satellite for South Korea IRNA 25 Mar 2012 -- Seeking to enhance ties with South Korea, India today offered to launch a satellite for Seoul and invited its businesses to invest in the country, particularly in the infrastructure sector.
- India to induct nuclear submarine in April first week IRNA 24 Mar 2012 -- In a major boost to its underwater strike capabilities, India will induct its Russian-origin nuclear-powered submarine 'Nerpa' in the first week of April.
- India Emerges as World’s Biggest Arms Importer VOA 23 Mar 2012 -- India has emerged as the world’s largest weapons importer in the last five years, according to a Swedish research group.
- India to produce 5,000 Pinaka rockets every year IRNA 23 Mar 2012 -- The Ordnance Factory Ambajhari near Nagpur is all set to enhance its manufacturing capacity of Pinaka rockets from the present 1,000 rockets to 5,000 every year for the Indian Army.
- Russians Resume Work at Indian Nuclear Project RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2012 -- Russian personnel have resumed construction work at India’s Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant after almost six months of local protests.
- Falsely Accused Russian ‘Spy’ Leaves India RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2012 -- A Russian freelance photojournalist accused by Indian authorities of espionage departed the country after charges against her were dropped.
- U.S., Russia Exported Most Arms; India Biggest Importer RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- India is the world's leading importer of weapons, while the United States and Russia are responsible for about half of the globe's arms exports.
- India World’s Top Arms Importer – SIPRI RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- India has topped a rating of the world's largest heavy arms importers.
- IAF lost 33 fighter aircraft in mishaps since 2008 IRNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Indian Air Force has lost 33 fighter aircraft, including three Sukhoi-30MKI, in mishaps since 2008 and 26 defense personnel were killed in these crashes.
- Iran welcomes Indian call for cooperation on anti-terror campaign IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Sunday welcomed Indian Foreign Minister's call for cooperation on campaign against terrorism.
- India Pursuing Fourth Iranian in Delhi Bombing VOA 17 Mar 2012 -- Indian authorities are going after a fourth Iranian in connection with a plot to attack Israeli diplomats.
- India hikes Defence Budget by more than 17 per cent IRNA 16 Mar 2012 -- With several defence deals including the one to procure 126 combat aircraft for the IAF expected to be clinched this year, the Defence Budget was today substantially hiked by more than 17 per cent to Rs 1,93,407 crore from last year's Rs 1,64,415 crore.
- India to launch aircraft version of Brahmos by December 2012 IRNA 15 Mar 2012 -- The Aircraft version of the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world, the Brahmos, would be launched by December 2012, a top official of the Brahmos Aerospace, an Indo-Russian joint venture company has said.
- India to offer warships to African, Middle-East nations IRNA 14 Mar 2012 -- Looking for export markets for its vessels, defence undertaking Goa Shipyard is offering its smaller size naval vessels to countries in Africa and the Middle East.
- No compromise on nuclear safety: Indian Govt IRNA 12 Mar 2012 -- The government of India Monday said there will be no compromise on nuclear safety or livelihood of any section of society in India's pursuit of atomic power.
- India developing censors to block CBRN threats IRNA 11 Mar 2012 -- To build a strong defence against possible chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear radiation (CBRN), India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is developing static and moving censors, a top official said.
- India Blacklists Russian Defense Company RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2012 -- The Indian Defense Ministry has barred six companies, including a small Russian defense firm, from bidding for defense contracts for the next 10 years, Russia's Vedomosti newspaper reported citing Indian media.
- India, US start military exercises in Rajastan state's desert IRNA 05 Mar 2012 -- India and US kick-started their two week-long joint military exercise in the Rajasthan desert today with their troops set to engage each other in a series of anti-terrorist and urban warfare drills.
- Indian Air Force Mirage 2000 crashes IRNA 05 Mar 2012 -- A Mirage 2000 fighter plane of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Monday crashed soon after taking off from an airbase in Gwalior, in a second mishap involving the aircraft type in 11 days.
- Indian Defence Ministry blacklists Israeli military industry & others IRNA 05 Mar 2012 -- India's Defence Ministry has blacklisted six companies including Singapore Technologies, Israeli Military Industry and Germany's Rheinmetall Air Defence for 10 years for their alleged role in ordnance factory scam.
- India's BrahMos cruise missile successfully test fired IRNA 04 Mar 2012 -- Indian Army Sunday successfully test fired the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile at the Pokharan range in Jaisalmer in Rajasthan state, to operationalise the second regiment of the weapon system in service.
- Talks Reaffirm Growing U.S.-India Partnership AFPS 02 Mar 2012 -- Recent bilateral security talks between the United States and India reaffirmed the importance of the partnership between the two nations.
- IAF and Army engaged in war drill in northeast IRNA 02 Mar 2012 -- Indian Air Force and Indian Army are engaged in an exercise to test their combat potentials.
- India Defines Talks With China VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- India says its cooperation with China needs to be "deepened and broadened."
- India to phase out MiG-21 fighter planes: Antony IRNA 01 Mar 2012 -- Indian Air Force (IAF)’s MiG 21s will start getting phased out from 2014 setting the stage for giving the IAF a 'new look.'
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list