Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2012 - India Special Weapons News
- India Arrests Two Suspected Terrorists VOA 29 Feb 2012 -- Indian officials say they have detained two men who were planning to carry out attacks in New Delhi.
- Indian Police Arrest Militants Preparing Attacks in Delhi RIA Novosti 29 Feb 2012 -- Police in New Delhi on Wednesday arrested two militants who were preparing a series of terrorist attacks against high-ranking Indian officials.
- India to commission new uranium mine, processing plant soon IRNA 28 Feb 2012 -- India will commission a new uranium mine and a processing plant in the next few weeks.
- DRDO working on systems to detect nuke contamination zones IRNA 25 Feb 2012 -- DRDO is developing an array of ground-based and unmanned aerial systems to detect and map contamination zones.
- India to have 3 more nuclear fuel fabrication facilities IRNA 24 Feb 2012 -- India will establish three facilities to supply fuel to new nuclear power plants it is to build as part of its massive expansion plans.
- IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane crashes in Madhya Pradesh IRNA 24 Feb 2012 -- A Mirage 2000 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force crashed near Bhind in Madhya Pradesh soon after taking off from an air base in Gwalior.
- 12 Indian Army personnel killed in two avalanches in Kashmir Valley IRNA 23 Feb 2012 -- Twelve Indian Army personnel were killed while 7 others were feared dead as avalanches struck Army camps in Kashmir Valley.
- India's breeder reactor to be commissioned early next year: report IRNA 22 Feb 2012 -- India plans to commission the first-of-its-kind Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor early next year.
- India plans to develop next-generation electronic warfare systems IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- India plans to develop new-generation Electronic Warfare systems to be fitted on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, aircraft and satellites.
- Russian Nuclear Sub to Arrive in India on March 30-31 RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine, the K-152 Nerpa, which has been leased to the Indian Navy, will arrive in that country on March 30-31.
- Eurocopter writes to Indian Army Chief over delays in chopper deal IRNA 20 Feb 2012 -- Expressing 'concern' over delays in finalising the deal for procuring 197 light helicopters for the defence forces.
- India to Buy 71 More Russian Helicopters RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2012 -- The Indian Air Force is planning to procure 71 more Mi-17 V5 helicopters, including 12 for the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- India's nuclear reactors highly secure: AEC IRNA 20 Feb 2012 -- Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Srikumar Banerjee said all reactors are secured as per the international norms.
- Indian Air Force to procure 71 more armed choppers IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Aiming at strengthening its medium-lift helicopter fleet, the Indian Air Force is planning to procure 71 more Mi-17 V5 choppers.
- India Treads Lightly Amid Accusations Against Iran VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Indian police have yet to locate a suspect in a bombing attack on an Israeli vehicle that Israel blames on Iran.
- India formally inducts Mi-17 V5 choppers into Air Force IRNA 17 Feb 2012 -- India formally inducted its latest Mi-17 V5 armed helicopters from Russia to enhance its operational capabilities.
- Russian Mi-17s Enter Service with Indian Air Force RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- The Indian Air Force has put into service the first batch of 80 Mi-17V-5 tactical transport helicopters under a $1.3 billion deal.
- Israeli-origin Indian Navy’s UAV crashes near Visakhapatnam IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- An Israeli-origin unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) of the Indian Navy Thursday crashed near Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh state, while on the way back from an exercise.
- IAF to induct latest Russian armed helicopters IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- India will induct its latest Mi-17 V5 armed helicopters from Russia that will greatly enhance its capabilities to carry troops and cargo at higher altitudes.
- Inshore patrol vessel for coast guard commissioned IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- Indian Coast Guard Ship Rajshree first of 8 inshore patrol vessels equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry, advanced communication and navigational equipment.
- India Holds Large-Scale Drill for a Potential Disaster VOA 16 Feb 2012 -- India's capital has held its first ever large-scale drill for a potential disaster.
- India, Saudi Arabia to augment defence cooperation IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- India and Saudi Arabia have decided to set up a joint committee on defence cooperation to work out the contours of the relationship and give a boost to military ties between the two nations.
- India to Test Launch Agni-5 ICBM in March RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- India plans to test launch its new Agni-5 intercontinental ballistic missile in the second half of March.
- India plans to test-fire Agni 5 missile next month IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Indian plans to test-fire the 5,000-km range Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, Agni 5 next month.
- India successfully test-fires supersonic interceptor missile IRNA 10 Feb 2012 -- India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed supersonic interceptor missile from the Integrated Test Range off Odisha coast.
- India Tests Ballistic Missile Interceptor RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2012 -- India has test-fired a domestically developed interceptor missile capable of destroying ballistic missiles.
- India successfully test flies indigenously developed ‘Lakshya-1’ IRNA 08 Feb 2012 -- India's indigenously developed micro-light pilot-less target aircraft 'Lakshya-1' was successfully test flown.
- Joint naval exercises “TROPEX 2012” begin in India IRNA 08 Feb 2012 -- The annual joint naval fleet exercises codenamed “TROPEX 2012” Tuesday began in the Bay of Bengal in Andhra Pradesh state.
- IAF's biggest ever wargame ‘Operation Livewire’ deferred IRNA 07 Feb 2012 -- The Indian Air Force has deferred its biggest ever wargame codenamed 'Operation Livewire' .
- Russia Completes Final Trials of Indian Frigate RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2012 -- The Yantar shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad has completed the final tests of a missile frigate for the Indian navy.
- South Korea keen on partnership with India in defence sector IRNA 07 Feb 2012 -- South Korea is keen to forge a partnership with India's defence sector in shipbuilding, electronics and aeronautics.
- Eurofighter better than Rafale: Britain IRNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Britain took up the matter with authorities here insisting that its combat aircraft Eurofighter was better than the selected one - Rafale.
- Russia, India Prepare for INDRA-2012 Military Drills RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russia and India started preparation for joint INDRA-2012 military exercises scheduled to be held in Russia this summer.
- Indian top military officer dismisses US report on India-China 'limited' war IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- A top Indian military officer dismissed a US intelligence assessment that the Indian Army is strengthening itself for a 'limited conflict' with China.
- India, China, Japan coordinating in anti-piracy operations IRNA 02 Feb 2012 -- India, China and Japan have started implementing a new mechanism to coordinate the movement of their warships in the Gulf of Aden to provide protection to cargo vessels from sea brigands.
- India’s biggest ever military contract bagged by French company IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- French firm Dassault Rafale bagged India's biggest-ever military contract for supplying 126 combat aircraft for the Air Force.
- International naval programme MILAN begins IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- MILAN 2012, the biennial congregation of naval forces of 13 countries, began at Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar islands today.
- India, Sri Lanka hold defence cooperation dialogue IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- Aiming to enhance bilateral defence cooperation and to discuss the regional security situation, India and Sri Lanka have held the inaugural round of Annual Defence Dialogue.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list