Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- Russia denies allegations over Indian T-90 tank contract RIA Novosti 30 Nov 2011 -- Moscow is puzzled over Indian media rumors claiming that Russia refuses to fulfill a decade-old contract on licensed production of T-90S main battle tanks.
- India: Police Break Up Domestic Terror Cell VOA 30 Nov 2011 -- Indian authorities say they have broken up a domestic terror cell responsible for several bombings, including one that killed 17 people at a bakery last year.
- India Postpones Border Talks With China VOA 28 Nov 2011 -- A round of talks scheduled to start Monday between India and China did not take place after New Delhi postponed the dialogue.
- Uranium sale to India won't start automatically: Australia IRNA 28 Nov 2011 -- Uranium sale to India 'would not start automatically' after the Labor government's reversal of a ban against its export to the country.
- India developing capabilities to protect space-based assets IRNA 18 Nov 2011 -- India said it is developing capabilities to protect its space-based assets such as satellites.
- India, US review nuclear safety IRNA 18 Nov 2011 -- Nuclear regulators of India and the US undertook a detailed review of safety measures at various atomic power plants in the two countries.
- India to testfire 5,000-km range Agni-5 nuclear capable missile IRNA 17 Nov 2011 -- DRDO will launch the 5,000-km version of the nuclear capable missile after three months.
- Russia hopes India will 'soon' join SCO - Lavrov RIA Novosti 17 Nov 2011 -- Russia hopes that India will soon become a full member of Shanghai Cooperation Organization, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said.
- Indian Gov't notifies rules to implement N-liability law IRNA 17 Nov 2011 -- Ahead of PM Singh's meeting with US President Barack Obama, India notified implementation rules for the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act.
- India developing UAV similar to American Predator drone IRNA 16 Nov 2011 -- India is developing an unmanned aerial vehicle similar to American Predator drones.
- India successfully test-fires Agni-II Prime nuclear-capable missile IRNA 15 Nov 2011 -- India successfully test-fired an advanced variant of nuclear-capable Agni-II ballistic missile.
- India welcomes Australian PM's announcement on uranium exports IRNA 15 Nov 2011 -- India welcomed Australian Government's move towards reversing its ban on uranium exports to India.
- Australian Leader Backs India Uranium Sales RFE/RL 15 Nov 2011 -- Australia's Prime Minister Julia Gillard has backed the lifting of Australia's ban on uranium sales to nuclear power India.
- India to match Chinese military infra buildup: Antony IRNA 15 Nov 2011 -- Expressing concern over Chinese military infrastructure buildup, Defence Minister A K Antony said India was working to match it.
- India walks extra-mile for peace with neighbours: Antony IRNA 15 Nov 2011 -- India has always walked the extra mile for the sake of peace and security with its neighbours said Defence Minister, A K Antony.
- Willard Details Pacific Commandís Mission, Scope AFPS 14 Nov 2011 -- Managing the relationship with China and growing the relationship with India are two of U.S. Pacific Command’s key objectives, the organization’s commander said.
- Resolution of boundary dispute with India will take time: China IRNA 14 Nov 2011 -- Ahead of the crucial Sino-Indian Special Representative talks on boundary dispute, China said a fair solution cannot be achieved 'overnight' and will 'take time'.
- Tender to buy 197 light choppers for IAF, army hits roadblock IRNA 14 Nov 2011 -- Plans of Indian Air Force and the army to replace their fleet of ageing Cheetah and Chetak helicopters have hit a roadblock.
- India set to buy 59 more Russian helicopters in $1 bln deal RIA Novosti 13 Nov 2011 -- India is close to finalizing a second contract with Russia for another 59 Mi-17V-5 tactical transport helicopters after the phased delivery of the first 80 of these choppers began this fall, The Times of India reported on Sunday.
- Indian Navy deploys warships around Maldives for SAARC summit IRNA 11 Nov 2011 -- Acting on a request from Maldives, the Indian Navy has put in place a security ring deploying warships around the tiny Island nation, which is taking no chances with the security of assembled SAARC leaders.
- Indian Navy to equip warships with 3-dimensional radars IRNA 10 Nov 2011 -- Aiming to provide a 360 degree surveillance capability to warships, the Indian Navy is planning to induct state-of-the-art three dimensional (3D) radars for detecting enemy aircraft, helicopters and sea-skimming missiles.
- Chinese Army delegation concludes visit to India IRNA 10 Nov 2011 -- Ahead of resumption of annual defence dialogue between 2 countries early next year, a Chinese Army delegation Wednesday concluded its 7-day visit to India, with Indian Army saying it has put defense exchanges between 2 countries back on track.
- Indian Army's howitzer procurement plans run into rough weather IRNA 09 Nov 2011 -- Indian army's plans to procure ultra-light howitzers for deployment along Sino-Indian border have run into rough weather and is expected to further delay its artillery modernisation programmme.
- Second regiment of BrahMos cruise missiles commissioned IRNA 09 Nov 2011 -- In a major boost to its firepower, Indian army Wednesday commissioned the second regiment of the 290-km-range supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles with 16 weapon systems.
- India set to buy additional Russian-Israeli AWACS planes RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2011 -- India is close to purchase two additional Russian-Israeli airborne warning and control system (AWACS) aircraft, the Times of India newspaper reported.
- India takes delivery of first of 80 Mi-17s RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2011 -- India has taken delivery of the first batch of 80 Mi-17V-5 tactical transport helicopters ordered under a $1.345 billion deal in 2008, Russian arms sales agency Rosoboronexport said on Tuesday.
- U.S. Military Seeks Stronger Ties with India AFPS 03 Nov 2011 -- The bottom-line message of a report the Defense Department submitted to Congress this week is that the U.S.-India security relationship is strong and getting stronger.
- Closer Indian-Pakistani Trade Ties Could Mark Start of a Thaw VOA 03 Nov 2011 -- Businessmen and analysts see this week's decision by Pakistan to grant India "Most Favored Nation" trade status as a major breakthrough.
- DOD News Briefing with Deputy Assistant Secretary Scher from the Pentagon DoD 02 Nov 2011
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list