Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- India test fires Agni-II missile IRNA 30 Sep 2011 -- India's nuclear-capable, surface-to-surface Agni-II ballistic missile, with a strike range of 2000 kms, was test-fired as part of user trial by the army.
- India develops Incoloy-nickel tubes for nuclear reactor’s steam generators IRNA 30 Sep 2011 -- India has developed Incoloy-nickel tubes required for making steam generators used in nuclear power reactors.
- India tests nuclear-capable missile IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- India has tested a short-range nuclear-capable missile.
- India, China joint mechanism soon on border issues: Antony IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- India will establish a joint mechanism with China in the next few months to resolve border issues.
- Indian Kashmir to ID Bodies from Unmarked Graves VOA 27 Sep 2011 -- Indian Kashmir's top official says authorities will conduct DNA tests to identify the more than 2,000 bodies buried in unmarked graves.
- Indian advisor says fission technology a must for energy security IRNA 27 Sep 2011 -- Senior Indian advisor: The conventional fission nuclear technology would be inevitable for ensuring India's energy security.
- India successfully test-fire “Prithvi-II” ballistic missile IRNA 26 Sep 2011 -- India has successfully test-fired its nuclear capable ‘Prithvi-II' ballistic missile, with a range of 350 kms.
- Indian Navy foils 3 piracy attempts in Gulf of Aden IRNA 26 Sep 2011 -- Three piracy attempts in last four days in the Gulf of Aden have been thwarted by the Indian Navy which neutralised eight armed Somali pirates.
- Indo-Russian collaboration project 'Koodankulam atomic plant' safe: Indian Nuke scientist IRNA 25 Sep 2011 -- Amid demands for scrapping the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project, a top atomic scientist Saturday vouched for its safety, saying all types of exigencies including a Fukushima-type mishap have been factored in.
- IAF “LCA' Tejas undergoes weapons trials IRNA 23 Sep 2011 -- The Light Combat Aircraft Tejas is undergoing weapons trials, including firing air-to-air missiles to test its capability to bring down enemy planes.
- Indian border security person killed in Pak firing in Samba IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Pakistani forcesopened fire on a Border Security Force patrol killing a sub-inspector and injuring a civilian along the Line of Control in Samba district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Sri Lanka-India joint Naval exercise begins IRNA 19 Sep 2011 -- A joint exercise of Sri Lankan and Indian naval forces started Monday in the eastern seas off Trincomalee to enhance interoperability of the two navies.
- India develops spent fuel automation system for nuclear plants IRNA 19 Sep 2011 -- India's primary nuclear research facility has designed and developed the first advanced automation system to transfer the spent fuel bundles of Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR) for nuclear reprocessing plants.
- Indian army commander in Kashmir says no mercy for foreign militants IRNA 16 Sep 2011 -- The commander of the Indian army in Kashmir said on Friday that his force did not ask foreign militants trapped during an operation to surrender, but went straight for the kill.
- India Seeks to Counter Internal Terrorist Threat VOA 15 Sep 2011 -- Top Indian officials say they need to prepare for terrorism threats that may arise both within and outside the country.
- India Tracks Terror Suspects VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Indian authorities are closely examining an email that may be a claim of responsibility for this week's deadly explosion in New Delhi.
- HuJI claims responsibility for Delhi blast IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- Harkat-ul-Jehadi-Islami has claimed responsibility for Wednesday's blast outside Delhi High Court which killed at least 11 people and injured over 70.
- Pakistan condemns Delhi Court blast IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- Pakistani President Zardari and PM Gilani have condemned bombing outside New Delhi High Court that has led to loss of life and injuries.
- Officials: 'Terrorist' Attack Hits New Delhi VOA 07 Sep 2011 -- Indian authorities say a terrorist attack outside the Indian high court in New Delhi killed at least 11 people and injured 66 others.
- Bomb Outside New Delhi Court Kills At Least 10 RFE/RL 07 Sep 2011 -- A bomb blast outside India's top court in the capital, New Delhi, today killed at least 10 people and injured dozens.
- Bill to strengthen nuclear safety measures introduced in Indian Parliament IRNA 07 Sep 2011 -- Bill to establish a legal framework to regulate nuclear and radiation safety was introduced in the Lok Sabha.
- Indian Air Force’s MiG-21 crashes IRNA 06 Sep 2011 -- A MiG-21 'Bison' fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force crashed Tuesday near Shambu in Punjab's Patiala district even as the pilot bailed out safely.
- China dismisses report of confronting Indian naval ship IRNA 05 Sep 2011 -- China dismissed as 'groundless' a media report that its navy had confronted an Indian naval ship in the South China Sea.
- Indian Army to induct indigenous weaponised chopper ALH-Rudra IRNA 05 Sep 2011 -- Indian Army's soon going to induct the attack version of indigenously-built Advanced Light Helicopter 'Rudra'.
- Indian Navy squadron to complete induction of MiG-29Ks by mid-2012 IRNA 03 Sep 2011 -- Indian Navy's `Black Panthers', a squadron of MiG-29K aircraft, will complete induction of th jets by mid-2012.
- No confrontation between Indian Naval ship and Chinese vessel IRNA 02 Sep 2011 -- India’s Ministry of External Affairs ruled out confrontation between an Indian Navy ship and a Chinese vessel off the coast of Vietnam in July 2011.
- Indian Army officer killed as Pak troops violate ceasefire twice IRNA 01 Sep 2011 -- An Indian Junior Commissioned Officer and three Pakistani soldiers were killed in a heavy exchange of fire in Keran sector in north Kashmir.
- Pakistan Says Three Soldiers Killed By Indian Troops RFE/RL 01 Sep 2011 -- Pakistan's army says Indian forces fired across the de facto border in the disputed region of Kashmir, killing three Pakistani soldiers.
- Indian Navy denies reports on confrontation with Chinese warship IRNA 01 Sep 2011 -- The Indian Navy denied reports that a Chinese warship had confronted its assault vessel after it left Vietnamese waters in late July in the disputed South China Sea.
- Suspected Chinese spy ship near Indian Islands detected IRNA 01 Sep 2011 -- A suspected Chinese spy ship apparently camouflaged as a fishing trawler has been detected by the Navy near the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Indian Army's plans to acquire Howitzers hits another hurdle IRNA 01 Sep 2011 -- Indian Army's plans to acquire Ultra Light Howitzers for its artillery units has again hit a hurdle.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list