Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2010 - India Special Weapons News
- Curfew extended in Kashmir as 11 year old boy dies in Police firing IRNA 31 Aug 2010 -- Entire Kashmir valley was brought under curfew a day after it was briefly lifted, following the killing of a teenager in police firing last evening.
- India announces additional $20m aid to flood-hit Pak IRNA 31 Aug 2010 -- India announced an additional $20 million assistance to Pakistan which is grappling with the worst floods in recent history.
- India to test 'Star War' weapons on Kashmiri protesters IRNA 30 Aug 2010 -- India has decided to equip its police and paramilitary forces with slew of Directed Energy Weapons to tackle Kashmiri protesters.
- Indian police open fire on protesters in Srinagar, wounding five IRNA 30 Aug 2010 -- Five young men were injured, one critically when Indian police opened fire on protesters in Srinagar.
- India confirms payloads for Chandrayaan-2 lunar mission RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2010 -- India has finalized the list of payloads for its Chandrayaan-2 Lunar Mission.
- Pakistan refuses to accept directly India aid for flood victims IRNA 29 Aug 2010 -- Pakistan has refused to accept directly the Indian aid of five million dollars for its desperate flood victims and instead suggested that it be routed through the UN.
- Indian-Russian Brahmos venture to produce missile engines in India RIA Novosti 27 Aug 2010 -- The Indian-Russian venture BrahMos Aerospace Ltd. plans to produce engines for Brahmos missiles in India, CEO Sivathanu Pillai said on Friday.
- Indian Parliament passes Civil Nuclear Liability Bill IRNA 26 Aug 2010 -- Lok Sabha (Lower House of Indian Parliament) Wednesday passed the Civil Nuclear Liability Bill.
- BrahMos missile maker happy with Russian Glonass receivers RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2010 -- BrahMos Aerospace Ltd., a Russian-Indian joint venture manufacturing supersonic cruise missiles, is successfully using Russian-built Glonass receivers for aiming and target acquisition, CEO Sivathanu Pillai said on Wednesday.
- India still 'hopeful' about nuclear plant despite Russian calls for relocation - paper RIA Novosti 24 Aug 2010 -- India hopes Russia will go ahead with the construction of a nuclear power plant at Haripur in eastern India, despite Russia's concerns over ongoing local protests, the Times of India newspaper reported on Tuesday.
- Russia asks India to move site for nuclear plant - paper RIA Novosti 23 Aug 2010 -- Russia has asked India to shift the site of a nuclear power plant at Haripur in eastern India, for which Russia has constructed two reactors, the Times of India paper reported on Monday.
- Pakistan Accepts India's Offer of Flood Aid VOA 20 Aug 2010 -- Pakistan says it will accept $5 million in flood aid from India, a rare gesture of goodwill between the longtime rivals as Pakistan deals with one of the worst disasters in its history.
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine on lease in fall RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2010 -- The Russian K-152 Nerpa nuclear attack submarine, which is currently carrying out workup trials in the Russian Far East, will be transferred to India on a 10-year lease in the fall, a spokesman for the Amur Shipbuilding Plant said on Friday.
- Pak troops fire at Indian posts, violate ceasefire IRNA 19 Aug 2010 -- Violating the ceasefire again, Pakistani troops targeted Indian posts along the Line of Control with rockets, mortars and resorted to heavy firing in Poonch district in Jammu in the wee hours Thursday.
- India to order another 59 Russian Mi-17 helicopters RIA Novosti 19 Aug 2010 -- The Indian Air Force will soon order an additional 59 Russian Mil Mi-17 helicopters on top of the 80 ordered earlier, the IAF chief said on Thursday.
- Death toll reaches 3 in Indian Army chopper crash IRNA 18 Aug 2010 -- Three Indian army officers were killed, including two pilots, when a helicopter they were travelling crashed Wednesday in the mountainous northeastern state of Nagaland, officials said.
- India may spend $2 bln upgrading Su-30 fighters RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2010 -- India could spend up to $2.34 billion on modernization of its fleet of Su-30MKI Flanker-H fighters with the participation of Russian companies, the country's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Indian Prime Minister Appeals for Calm in Kashmir VOA 15 Aug 2010 -- India's leader has used part of his Independence Day address to call for an end to violence in Kashmir.
- Russia to modernize fifth Indian submarine RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2010 -- A fifth Indian Kilo class diesel-electric submarine has arrived to Russia's Zvezdochka shipyard for an overhaul under a recent contract, the shipyard company said on Thursday.
- MiG-35 stalls in Indian fighter tender contract RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2010 -- Russia's MiG-35 multirole fighter aircraft has failed to make the short-list in a $10 billion international tender for 126 combat aircraft for the Indian air force.
- Day 5: Hundreds still missing in Ladakh flash floods IRNA 10 Aug 2010 -- Hundreds of people remain untraced five days after massive cloudbursts ravaged the picturesque Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- MiG-21 fighter jet crashes in eastern India RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2010 -- A MiG-21 fighter jet of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in the eastern Indian state of Assam.
- 500 feared Killed in Ladakh flash floods IRNA 07 Aug 2010 -- More than five hundred people are feared to have died in flash floods triggered by massive cloudbursts that devastated Ladakh.
- We want to move relationship forward with India: Qureshi IRNA 09 Aug 2010 -- Pakistan ready to walk the "extra mile" as it wants to "move forward" in building relations with India.
- Indian soldiers washed away to Pakistan in Kashmir IRNA 09 Aug 2010 -- India has sought help from Pakistan to trace scores of its soldiers it fears might have got swept away across the dividing Line of Control in flash floods.
- India favours step-by-step approach to resolve dispute with Pakistan IRNA 05 Aug 2010 -- Emphasizing that cross-border hostilities will have to cease, India said it favours a gradual approach to resolve differences with Pakistan.
- Two more killed, fresh protests break out in curfew bound Kashmir IRNA 05 Aug 2010 -- Police again opened fire to disperse a large funeral procession in interior Srinagar Thursday afternoon sparking fresh violence.
- New Delhi regrets loss of innocent lives in Kashmir IRNA 05 Aug 2010 -- New Delhi urged all sections of people of Jammu and Kashmir to heed voices of reason and desist from violent protests.
- Indian Authorities Struggle to Control Widening Kashmir Protests VOA 05 Aug 2010 -- In Indian Kashmir, authorities are struggling to control spiraling street protests, which have led to the death of more than 45 people.
- Clashes in Indian Kashmir Kill at Least 7 VOA 01 Aug 2010 -- A third straight day of clashes between security forces and pro-independence protesters in Indian Kashmir killed at least seven people Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list