The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW


Two more killed, fresh protests break out in curfew bound Kashmir

IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency

Srinagar, India, Aug 5, IRNA -- A day after an influential Kashmiri leader called for non-violent protests, police again opened fire to disperse a large funeral procession in interior Srinagar Thursday afternoon sparking fresh violence.

A 50 year-old man Ghulam Nabi, who was seriously injured after being shot at by the paramilitary forces last night in Habba Kadal area of the city died today in a hospital taking the death toll in past six days to 30.

Some 50 people have died in the firing by government forces and more than 600 have been injured, many of them crippled for life, since the current unrest began on June 11.

Meanwhile, hundreds of men and women came out of their homes in Habbakadal area to take part in the funeral procession of Ghulam Nabi defying the curfew.

Police however used force to disperse the procession by firing in the air and and lobbing tear gas shells at the mourners.

According to IRNA reporter in New Delhi, Ghulam Nabi was the second man killed since last evening. Clashes have broken out in the area.

A 25-year-old Muhammad Yaqub was killed on the spot and another critically wounded when paramilitary forces fired at a protest in Bemina quarter of the city Wednesday evening, police said.

The men were not part of any protest but were shot at when they shouted at a group of passing paramilitary soldiers.

In both the places, as in rest of Kashmir, curfew was being strictly enforced for the sixth straight day with gun wielding paramilitary personnel patrolling the streets.

Reports of defiance of curfew however continue to pour in from various towns of Kashmir.

In south Kashmir a huge procession was heading for Pampore township from nearby Pulwama in defiance of curfew.

There have been no reports of any police intervention so far.

Join the mailing list