Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2008 - India Special Weapons News
- India seeks clean waiver from NSG IRNA 29 Aug 2008 -- India's Foreign Minister, Pranab Mukherjee Friday said, "India is seeking a clean waiver from the 45-nation Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
- India lodges protest with Pak over pushing in of militants IRNA 27 Aug 2008 -- India on Wednesday lodged a strong protest with Pakistan for pushing in militants in Jammu and Kashmir in the cover of firing from across the border and presented evidence at a meeting between the border guards of the two countries.
- Army general to take command of India's nuclear arsenal IRNA 26 Aug 2008 -- For the first time, an army general is set to take over command of the India's strategic forces and nuclear arsenal.
- India wants NSG waiver but not at any cost: Kakodkar IRNA 26 Aug 2008 -- Amid apprehensions that the amended Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) draft waiver for New Delhi's nuclear commerce could include language that would bind the country, India has said it wants civil nuclear cooperation but not 'at any cost' and asserted that it will not accept any 'conditions'.
- Japanese naval ships visit India for exercise with Indian Navy IRNA 23 Aug 2008 -- To strengthen security and strategic ties, two guided missile destroyers and one training ship of Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force will take part in an exercise with Indian Navy from August 23-26 on the western seaboard.
- CPM opposes Indo-US joint military exercises at Indian ports IRNA> 23 Aug 2008 -- While opposing the next round of the Indo-US joint military exercises at Indian port, Malabar, which is to be held in October, 2008, the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) has asked the Manmohan Singh government not to allow the nuclear-equipped USS Ronald Reagan of the United States into Indian territorial waters.
- India won't accept NSG conditionalities IRNA 23 Aug 2008 -- India will not accept any "prescriptive conditionalities" to get an exemption from the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) to operationalise the Indo-US nuclear deal, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday.
- Nuclear Suppliers Group refuses to approve uranium sales to India RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2008 -- The Nuclear Suppliers Group has failed to lift a 34-year-long ban on nuclear trade with India, delaying a U.S.-sponsored deal on civil nuclear cooperation, Indian NDTV reported Friday.
- Protesters Rally to End Indian Rule Over Kashmir VOA 22 Aug 2008 -- Protesters staged a mass rally in Kashmir to call for an end to India's rule of the disputed Himalayan region.
- India Again Claims Border Cease-Fire Violation by Pakistan VOA 21 Aug 2008 -- India says troops along the Line of Control were shelled from the Pakistani side.
- 40 injured in fresh violence in Jammu IRNA 20 Aug 2008 -- Forty people, including nine policemen were injured as fresh violence erupted in India's Jammu and Kashmir state.
- India places dlrs 2 billion Brahmos missile order: report IRNA 20 Aug 2008 -- India placed orders for missiles worth two billion dollars with Russian-Indian military joint venture Brahmos.
- India for exemption from NSG without any change to draft IRNA 18 Aug 2008 -- India has said it expected an exemption from the Nuclear Suppliers Group without any change to the draft that was circulated by the USA.
- India sends four major warships to Red Sea IRNA 18 Aug 2008 -- India has sent four of its major warships to the Red Sea and the African coast on a two-month-long deployment.
- Indian Air Chief Marshal to depart for Malaysia IRNA 18 Aug 2008 -- India's Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal F H Major would embark on a three-day official visit to Malaysia.
- Indo-US nuke deal threatens to take India Iraq way IRNA 14 Aug 2008 -- A writ petition has been filed in the Supreme Court challenging the Indo-US nuclear deal on the ground that it is "unconstitutional."
- India's indigenously developed 'Pinaka" successfully tested IRNA 13 Aug 2008 -- India's 'Pinaka' multi-barrel Rocket Launcher was successfully tested jointly by the army and scientists from a base at Chandipur-on-sea.
- 2nd Sino-Indian military drill to begin from December IRNA 13 Aug 2008 -- Indian and Chinese armies are likely to hold their second joint exercise in December on Indian territory to enhance improving ties.
- India allows Singapore to train ground forces in India IRNA 13 Aug 2008
- India Assures UN It Will Punish Errant Peacekeepers VOA 13 Aug 2008 -- India is assuring the United Nations that it will punish peacekeepers found to have engaged in sexual abuse.
- Situation grave in Kashmir, 11 killed IRNA 12 Aug 2008 -- Indian police opened fire in northern Kashmir as thousands of people came out of their homes defying curfew restrictions to march towards the Line of Control.
- Death Toll Rises as Protests Continue in Kashmir VOA 12 Aug 2008 -- At least 13 people have died as Indian security forces opened fire on protests led by Muslim separatists in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Two CRPF jawans killed in encounter in India's Uttarakhand IRNA 8 Aug 2008 -- Two Central Reserve Police Force jawans killed during an encounter between the Maoists and the police at Laxmantola in Giridih district.
- India rules out sending troops to Afghanistan IRNA 7 Aug 2008 -- India reaffirmed it would not send troops to Afghanistan for the operations being conducted in the war.
- 3 troopers killed by separatist guerrillas in India's N-E region IRNA 7 Aug 2008 -- At least three paramilitary troopers were killed in an ambush by separatist guerrillas in India's state of Manipur.
- India test fires anti-tank "NAG" missile IRNA 7 Aug 2008 -- India's Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully conducted a test of the NAG in the past two days.
- India says $1bln helicopter deal to be signed with Russia soon RIA Novosti 7 Aug 2008 -- The Indian Air Force said that India will soon sign a contract with Russia to receive 80 Mi-17 Hip-H multirole helicopters.
- India postpones first lunar mission until mid-October RIA Novosti 7 Aug 2008 -- The launch of India's first unmanned mission to the Moon has been postponed until the middle of October.
- Indian submarine sails for home after refit in Russia RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- The INS Sindhuvijay diesel-electric submarine departed for India after overhaul at a shipyard in northern Russia.
- India successfully tests domestically built anti-tank missile RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- India has completed the development of an anti-tank missile and will put it into service after field test trials in September.
- Japan asks India to sign NPT and CTBT IRNA 5 Aug 2008 -- Japanese Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura: Japan non-committal on India's case at the 45-nation grouping.
- 2 dead, 15 injured in India's Kolkata blast IRNA 4 Aug 2008 -- A bomb blast in Kolkata city, capital of West Bengal state on Sunday evening reportedly killed two persons and injured 15.
- Indian PM hails IAEA's nod as milestone IRNA 2 Aug 2008 -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh: IAEA's approval of India's specific safeguards agreement an important day for India.
- IAEA Chief: Indian Nuclear Plan on Right Track VOA 1 Aug 2008 -- The United Nations' nuclear watchdog: safeguards for nuclear cooperation deal between the United States and India meet international requirements.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list