Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2008 - India Special Weapons News
- Violence in India's Bengal Claims Lives, Forces Hundreds to Flee VOA 29 May 2008 -- India's rapid economic development is taking a toll on some segments of the population, and a recent village council election in a district of west Bengal, where the ruling party was ousted after 30 years rule, has highlighted the clash between rural farmers and proponents of industrialization
- Russia to start training Indian pilots for aircraft carrier RIA Novosti 28 May 2008 -- Russia will start training Indian pilots on MiG-29 carrier fighters to be deployed on the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier sold to India for $1.5 billion in 2004, the head of the MiG corporation said Wednesday.
- India says future arms purchases to include technology transfer RIA Novosti 28 May 2008 -- India's defense minister said on Wednesday his country is no longer prepared to buy weapons from foreign companies unless deals include the transfer of technology, the ministry press service said.
- Russia delivers nuclear fuel for India's Kudankulam plant RIA Novosti 26 May 2008 -- Russia has delivered the first batch of nuclear fuel to India for the country's Kudankulam nuclear power plant, the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. said on Monday.
- Analysis: Pakistan's Other Border cfr.org 23 May 2008 -- South Asia's nuclear-armed neighbors India and Pakistan resumed peace talks May 20 amid reminders of how vulnerable the two nations are to terrorism
- India successfully test-fires "Prithvi Missile" IRNA 23 May 2008 -- India has successfully test-fired its 150-250 km range surface-to-surface `Prithvi' missile, which can carry a pay load of 1000 kg explosives, from the integrated test range at Chandipur.
- Fighter aircraft of Indian Air Force "MIG-21" crash-lands IRNA 23 May 2008 -- A MIG-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force on Friday crash-landed at the Bagdogra airfield, in Siliguri of West Bengal state, but the pilot was safe.
- India test fires nuclear-capable missile RIA Novosti 23 May 2008 -- India has successfully carried out surface-to-surface tests of the Prithvi medium-range nuclear-capable missile, the Press Trust of India said on Friday.
- India eyes U.S. F-18s for its Russian-built aircraft carrier RIA Novosti 22 May 2008 -- The Indian Navy has asked Boeing for the use of its F/A-18E/F Super Hornet supersonic carrier-based fighter aircraft on board a Russian-made carrier, Russian daily Izvestia said on Thursday.
- India decides to raise armed battalion by recruiting surrendering militants IRNA 20 May 2008 -- The government in India's northeastern state of Assam have decided to raise an armed battalion by recruiting surrendering separatists for conducting anti-insurgency operations in the state that is wracked by violent insurgencies for close to three decades, officials Tuesday said.
- India to Raise Infiltration, Terrorism in Bilateral Talks with Pakistan VOA 19 May 2008 -- The foreign ministers of India and Pakistan are meeting in Islamabad on Wednesday, May 21, for the fourth round of the so-called composite dialogue process
- Indian Police Release Sketches of Suspects in Jaipur Bombings VOA 16 May 2008 -- Police in India have distributed sketches of three suspects in Tuesday's explosions that killed more than 60 people in the western city of Jaipur.
- CPI renews threat to govt over Indo-US nuke deal IRNA 15 May 2008 -- Ahead of the UPA-Left meet on the Indo-US nuclear deal, the Communisty Party of India (CPI) has renewed its threat to withdraw support if the government moved ahead on the issue.
- Bangladeshis Questioned About Jaipur Blasts VOA 15 May 2008 -- Indian authorities say they have detained about 40 people, mostly Bangladeshis, in their investigation of Tuesday evening's serial bomb blasts in Jaipur
- India expresses concern over Sri Lankan rebels' air capability IRNA 14 May 2008 -- India's Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil has expressed concern over the reported air capability of the Sri Lankan rebels, Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) that could be a threat to the vital installations in South India.
- Jaipur Blasts Demonstrate Continuing Indian Vulnerability to Terrorist Attacks VOA 14 May 2008 -- The terrorist attack in Jaipur was the latest in a string of bombings of Indian cities during the past several years
- India plans to test fire 5000-km range missile soon IRNA 13 May 2008 -- Buoyed by the string of success with the intermediate range ballistic missile Agni-III, India is planning to test a missile with 5000 km range soon.
- India to invest $175 mln in domestic uranium prospecting RIA Novosti 12 May 2008 -- India is to invest around $175 million in domestic uranium prospecting in an attempt to overcome the shortage of fuel at the country's nuclear power stations, an Indian nuclear official said on Monday.
- India sends more relief to cyclone hit Myanmar IRNA 09 May 2008 -- India will be sending its second transport plane IL-76 with necessary relief material to Myanmar Saturday for the people affected by the deadly cyclone which has claimed nearly twenty three thousand people.
- Indian Navy to keep watch on Chinese nuclear submarine movements IRNA 09 May 2008 -- Indian Navy would be keeping a close watch on the movement of Chinese nuclear submarines, which are operating out of a recently discovered underground base in the South China Sea, Chief of Naval staff Admiral Sureesh Mehta said Friday in Mumbai.
- India to acquire six more submarines IRNA 09 May 2008 -- India will soon float global tenders to acquire six submarines but would like to see indigenous development of this technology in the future, Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said in Mumbai Friday.
- India to upgrade over 50 Mirage fighters - newspaper RIA Novosti 09 May 2008 -- India is close to sign a contract with France, worth an estimated 1 billion euros ($1.54 billion) for the upgrade of the 51 Mirage-2000 fighters in service with the Indian air force (IAF), a national newspaper said on Friday, citing military sources.
- Indian navy begins review to build nuclear submarine IRNA 07 May 2008 -- A high-level review of country's efforts to build an indigenous nuclear submarine and moves to procure two Akula class nuclear submarines from Russia and also attempts to shore up the country's dipping warship strength got underway on Wednesday.
- India tests nuclear-capable ballistic missile - TV RIA Novosti 07 May 2008 -- India has successfully conducted the third test of an intermediate-range ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads, national television reported on Wednesday.
- Indian Armed Forces launch operation 'Sahayata' for Myanmar IRNA 07 May 2008 -- As part of operation 'Sahayata' (Help) for Myanmar, two Indian Air Force (IAF) planes Wednesday airlifted relief supplies to cyclone-hit nation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list