Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2008 - India Special Weapons News
- India eyes deal with U.S. to replace aging Russian warplanes RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2008 -- India has begun talks with the United States on the purchase of P-8i long-range maritime reconnaissance patrol aircraft to replace Russian-made Tu-142M bombers, the Times of India said on Tuesday.
- France offers to supply new generation fighters to India IRNA 25 Jan 2008 -- As President Nicolas Sarkozy began talks with Indian leaders to boost Indo-French ties, a French company on Friday offered to sell 40 of its new generation Rafale fighters to New Delhi on a fast track basis to help Indian Air Force(IAF) maintain its combat edge.
- France advocates civil nuclear cooperation with India IRNA 25 Jan 2008 -- France has strongly advocated civil nuclear cooperation with India, provided New Delhi must fulfill its international obligations.
- India, France to Boost Military Cooperation, Political Ties VOA 25 Jan 2008 -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy says he hopes an international consensus is near to allow countries like France to sell India peacetime nuclear technology
- India to flex military muscle in front of foreign observers RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- India will hold a large-scale joint Army-Air Force combat exercise in March in front of an international audience, the Times of India said on Wednesday, quoting sources in the country's Defense Ministry.
- India successfully launches 'Polaris' satellite IRNA 22 Jan 2008 -- India Monday "successfully" launched an Israeli satellite 'Polaris' from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota by a homegrown Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- Indian carrier rocket launches Israeli military satellite RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- An Indian carrier rocket launched from India's Shriharikota space center has delivered an Israeli military satellite into orbit, Israeli television said on Monday.
- Fresh bird flu outbreaks confirmed in east India RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2008 -- Fresh outbreaks of bird flu have been confirmed in east India, the country's agriculture ministry said on Sunday.
- U.S. offers to help India develop missile shield RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- Lockheed Martin, a U.S. defense industry giant, has expressed an interest in helping India develop its own missile defense network, an Indian news agency said on Friday.
- India admits helping Lankan navy against Tamil Tigers IRNA 16 Jan 2008 -- For the first time in recent years, India has acknowledged helping the Sri Lankan navy in its operations against the Tamil Tigers.
- Russia delays overhaul of Indian Navy submarine RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- The delivery of an Indian Navy diesel submarine which recently underwent a two-year refit at a Russian Barents Sea shipyard will be delayed by at least six months, a shipyard spokesman said Wednesday.
- Indo-Lanka naval cooperation 'extremely successful' IRNA 15 Jan 2008 -- Sri Lankan Navy Commander Vice Admiral Wasantha Karannagoda Tuesday said that the cooperation between the navies of Sri Lanka and India was 'extremely successful' in countering the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
- India non-committal on 'agreed text' with IAEA IRNA 15 Jan 2008 -- India's Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Anil Kakodkar was on Tuesday non-committal on when the 'agreed text' on India-specific safeguards for civilian nuclear power plants with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will be finalised.
- India, China Laud Closer Ties VOA 15 Jan 2008 -- Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has wound up a three-day visit to Beijing on an upbeat note, as both sides praised a growing friendship between the two Asian giants
- India to upgrade coastal security to face LTTE threats IRNA 14 Jan 2008 -- India is planning to revamp and upgrade its coastal security scheme to prevent infiltration by Sri Lankan rebels, Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
- India hopes to wrap talks with IAEA before approaching NSG IRNA 12 Jan 2008 -- India hopes to wrap up a safeguards agreement with IAEA later this month in Vienna before approaching the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) for changes to permit international nuclear commerce.
- India Looks to Conclude Talks with IAEA on Nuclear Deal VOA 12 Jan 2008 -- Indian officials say they hope to complete talks with the United Nations nuclear agency this month on the country's landmark nuclear deal with the United States.
- India, Russia yet to achieve breakthrough on Gorshkov deal IRNA 09 Jan 2008 -- India and Russia are yet to achieve a breakthrough on resolving the Gorshkov deal, which has been in a deadlock over pricing.
- India, IAEA stuck on strategic nuke reserve IRNA 09 Jan 2008 -- India and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have failed to finalise an agreed text for India-specific safeguards during the talks last week, particularly on the issue of New Delhi`s right to hold its strategic reserve to meet lifetime supply for its civilian nuclear plants.
- India closes guided missile program RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2008 -- India is scrapping its strategic integrated guided missile program, and will undertake the development and production of advanced weapons systems with foreign cooperation, the country's top defense scientist said on Tuesday.
- India to test indigenously built Agni III+ ballistic missile in 2009 IRNA 08 Jan 2008 -- India will test indigenously built Agni III+ ballistic missile with a strike range of more than 5000 km in 2009.
- India set to test upgraded ballistic missile in 2009 RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2008 -- India will test fire a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) with the range of up to 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles) in the beginning of 2009, a senior defense research official said on Monday.
- Government has not given up on Indo-US nuke deal IRNA 05 Jan 2008 -- Government has not "given up" on the Indo-US nuclear deal and dismissed any link between recent electoral defeats of Congress and progress with Left on the issue.
- India, Pakistan exchange lists of nuke installations IRNA 01 Jan 2008 -- India and Pakistan on Tuesday exchanged the lists of their installations and facilities, taking forward their 17-year-old confidence building measure in the field.
- Pakistan, India exchange lists of nuclear installations IRNA 01 Jan 2008 -- Pakistan and India on Tuesday exchanged lists of their nuclear installations under a special agreement prohibiting them from attacking each other's nuclear facilities, officials said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list