Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2022 - Germany Special Weapons News
- Iran Calls German Initiative to Blacklist Elite Troops Unlawful Sputnik 31 Oct 2022 -- Iran condemns Germany's plans to impose sanctions against the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC, elite forces of the Iranian military) saying the measures are unlawful, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said on Monday.
- Iran denounces Germany's action to blacklist IRGC as "illegal" ISNA 31 Oct 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani denounced Germany's action to put the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) on a blacklist as completely "illegal".
- Ukraine Envoy Urges Germany Not To Shelter Russian Mobilization Dodgers RFE/RL 30 Oct 2022 -- Ukraine's new ambassador to Germany, Oleksiy Makeyev, has urged Germany not to shelter Russian men who have fled their country to avoid military mobilization, describing them as a "security risk."
- "Strengthening everything that connects us" BundesprĂ¤sident 28 Oct 2022 -- "Russia's brutal war of aggression in Ukraine has reduced the European security order to ashes. In his imperial obsession, the Russian President has broken international law, committed land grabs, called borders into question. The Russian attack is an attack on all of the lessons that the world had learned from two World Wars."
- Despite Russia's opposition, OSCE continues to provide support to Ukraine Germany Federal Foreign Office 27 Oct 2022 -- The OSCE is continuing its important work of supporting people in Ukraine. Find out here what this specifically involves, and how Russia recently tried to block OSCE missions.
- PM call with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz: 27 October 2022 Gov.UK 27 Oct 2022
- Military support for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 26 Oct 2022
- Middle East: Statement by the Spokespersons of the Foreign Ministries of France, Germany, Italy and Spain Germany Federal Foreign Office 26 Oct 2022
- Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock on the situation in Iran Germany Federal Foreign Office 26 Oct 2022 -- "The human rights situation in Iran is deteriorating day by day, with the security forces taking increasingly brutal action against the women and men on the streets, who are demanding nothing more than their universal human rights."
- Joint statement by women foreign ministers on events in Iran Canada 26 Oct 2022 -- "Following the virtual women foreign ministers meeting convened on October 20, the Honourable MĂ©lanie Joly, Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, along with her foreign minister counterparts from Albania, Andorra, Australia, France, Germany, Iceland, Kosovo, Libya, Liechtenstein, New Zealand and Norway have issued the following statement on the events unfolding in Iran:"
- German President Steinmeier Makes Surprise Visit To Kyiv RFE/RL 25 Oct 2022 -- German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier arrived in Kyiv in a surprise visit early on October 25, his spokesperson said.
- Germany Signs Contract With US Company on Charter Use of New LNG-Terminal - Ministry Sputnik 25 Oct 2022 -- The German government and Excelerate Energy, a US-based LNG company, have signed a contract on the charter use of a fifth floating terminal for liquefied natural gas (LNG) in the German port of Wilhelmshaven, the Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action said on Tuesday.
- Donor platform to help rebuild Ukraine - Expert conference under the German G7 Presidency Germany - Federal Government 24 Oct 2022 -- The reconstruction of Ukraine was discussed at an international expert conference in Berlin hosted by the German G7 Presidency and the EU Commission. "Ukraine cannot manage it alone. The European Union cannot manage it alone either. It can only be achieved by the entire global community, which is now lending its support to Ukraine," stressed Federal Chancellor Scholz.
- France, Germany show 'no desire' to mediate Ukraine talks: Kremlin Press TV 24 Oct 2022 -- Russia says France and Germany have shown "no desire" to mediate on Ukraine; Moscow has, meanwhile, praised an offer by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to organize talks, as the war drags on into the eighth month.
- German lawmaker calls for peaceful resolution of Taiwan-China conflict CNA 24 Oct 2022 -- The leader of a visiting delegation of German lawmakers reiterated his country's opposition to any nonpeaceful or unilateral changes to the Taiwan-China status quo, during a meeting with President Tsai Ing-wen (č”ˇč‹±ć–‡) in Taipei Monday.
- German Defense, Foreign Ministers Urge Major Increase In Financial Aid For Ukraine's Military RFE/RL 22 Oct 2022 -- The German defense and foreign ministers have called for significantly higher financial aid for Ukraine's military in its effort to defend the country against Russia's invasion.
- Scholz: Ukraine Conflict Must Not Escalate Into Direct Russia-NATO Confrontation Sputnik 22 Oct 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said on Saturday that the conflict between Moscow and Kiev must be prevented from escalating into a direct confrontation between Russia and NATO.
- 3 European Missions to UN Urge Probe of Drone Use in Ukraine VOA 21 Oct 2022 -- France, Germany and Britain called Friday for the United Nations to investigate allegations that Russia is using Iranian drones for attacks in Ukraine.
- EU Debates China Policy as German Chancellor Plans Beijing Visit VOA 21 Oct 2022 -- EU leaders at a European Council summit in Brussels this week wrestled with how to respond to the rising economic and diplomatic power of China, even as Chinese leader Xi Jinping signaled his intention to sustain an aggressive foreign policy during a Communist Party congress in Beijing.
- President of Ukraine had a call with the Federal President of Germany President of Ukraine 20 Oct 2022
- Germany's Scholz: Putin Using Energy as a Weapon VOA 20 Oct 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said Thursday Russian President Vladimir Putin is using energy as weapon, but his tactics are only bringing Western allies closer together in their support of Ukraine.
- Statement of the Group of Friends of Women in Afghanistan UK FCDO 19 Oct 2022 -- This statement is endorsed by the following members of the Group of Friends of Women in Afghanistan: United Kingdom, Qatar, Australia, Bangladesh, Belgium, Canada, Chad, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United States
- Pipeline Carrying Russian Oil To Germany Repaired After Leak Detected In Poland RFE/RL 16 Oct 2022 -- The Polish operator of the Druzhba oil pipeline said it had fixed a leak that had caused part of the pipeline from Russia to Germany to be shut.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen Hicks' Meeting With Mr. Benedikt Zimmer, State Secretary, Federal Ministry of Defence, Federal Republic of Germany DoD 14 Oct 2022
- Germany, NATO allies agree to purchase new system to boost EU air defense Press TV 13 Oct 2022 -- Germany and 13 other members of the US-led NATO military alliance have signed a letter of intent to jointly purchase air defense systems in the category of systems such as the Israeli regime's Arrow 3, US Patriot and German IRIS-T units in order to enhance the air and missile defense capabilities.
- Moscow Demands Involvement In Nord Stream Investigations RFE/RL 13 Oct 2022 -- Russia says it has summoned the ambassadors of Germany, Denmark, and Sweden and handed them notes of protest challenging their investigations into several explosions on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea.
- Press release on the demarche to the ambassadors of Germany, Denmark and Sweden in connection with the Nord Stream sabotage investigation Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 13 Oct 2022
- Leopard 2 "Ringtausch" Agreement Signed Czech Republic Ministry of Defence & Armed Forces 12 Oct 2022 -- On Tuesday, 11th of October, the Ministry of Defence of the Czech Republic signed a collection of agreements for the delivery of 14 pieces of Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks and 1 piece of advanced recovery vehicle BĂĽffel with German partners.
- G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank GovernorsÂ´ Statement on the global economic impact of RussiaÂ´s war of aggression against Ukraine and G7 support to Ukraine US Treasury 12 Oct 2022 -- "We, the G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors, met in Washington D.C. We were honoured to be joined by the Ukrainian Finance Minister. We were also joined by the Heads of the International Monetary Fund, World Bank Group, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, and Financial Stability Board."
- G7 Statement on Ukraine, 11 October 2022 The White House 11 Oct 2022
- In Wake Of Russian Missile Attacks, Germany Says It Will 'Quickly' Deliver Air Defense System To Ukraine RFE/RL 10 Oct 2022 -- Germany says it will deliver the first of four IRIS-T SLM air defense systems to Ukraine "in the next few days," after Russian rockets pounded several cities across Ukraine, killing several civilians.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl's Quad Meeting With France, Germany, and the United Kingdom DoD 10 Oct 2022
- Readout of President Joe Biden's Call with Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany The White House 09 Oct 2022
- German Foreign Minister Urges Tougher Sanctions On Iran Over Protest Crackdown RFE/RL 09 Oct 2022 -- Germany's foreign minister has called on the European Union to slap new sanctions on Iran for what she described as Tehran's brutal repression against anti-government protesters in several Iranian cities.
- Vucic Says French, Germans Squeezing Serbia To Swap Kosovo Recognition For Quick EU Entry RFE/RL 08 Oct 2022 -- President Aleksandar Vucic says France and Germany have encouraged Serbia to allow its former province Kosovo to join international institutions and organizations, including the United Nations, in exchange for early membership in the European Union.
- German Defense Chief Says NATO 'Must Do More' For Common Security Against Russian Threat RFE/RL 08 Oct 2022 -- German Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht said during a visit to Lithuania that NATO must do more for common security to protect itself against any aggressive actions by Russia and President Vladimir Putin.
- German Rail Operator DB Blames 'Sabotage' After Stoppage Paralyzes North RFE/RL 08 Oct 2022 -- Germany's state-owned railway operator blamed "sabotage" to its cables for an hours-long stoppage of all rail traffic in the north of the country on October 8, and launched an investigation into who was behind the interference.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with German State Secretary Michaelis US Dept. of State 07 Oct 2022
- German parliamentarians call for closer bilateral ties with Taiwan CNA 06 Oct 2022 -- Three visiting Bundestag lawmakers from the German-Taiwan Parliamentary Friendship Group called for closer ties with Taiwan Thursday during a press event in Taipei.
- First German parliamentary group since COVID-19 arrives in Taiwan CNA 02 Oct 2022 -- The first parliamentary delegation from Germany to visit Taiwan since the COVID-19 pandemic began in late 2019 arrived in the country Sunday morning, with one of the delegation members saying the trip was meant to "show support to Taiwan."
- German Defense Minister Visits Odesa, Promises Delivery Of Air-Defense System RFE/RL 01 Oct 2022 -- German Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht has made an unannounced visit to the Ukrainian port city of Odesa, meeting with counterpart Oleksiy Reznikov and at one time being forced into a bomb shelter after air raid sirens blared.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list