Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - France Special Weapons News
- Johnson threatens to trigger trade dispute action against France next week Press TV 31 Oct 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson warns he could trigger a trade dispute mechanism against France, amid a post-Brexit fishing dispute which has sent diplomatic relations between Paris and London into freefall.
- Macron says 'no evidence' to blame Russia for energy crisis Press TV 30 Oct 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has dismissed allegations that Russia contributed to Europe's current energy crisis.
- Joint Statement by the President of France Emmanuel Macron, Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland Boris Johnson, and President of the United States Joseph R. Biden, Jr. on Iran The White House 30 Oct 2021
- Biden, EU Leaders Urge Iran To Return To Nuclear Talks To Prevent 'Dangerous Escalation' RFE/RL 30 Oct 2021 -- The leaders of the United States, Germany, France and Britain on October 30 called on Iran to return to nuclear talks and resume compliance with the 2015 nuclear accord to prevent a "dangerous escalation."
- Biden Acknowledges AUKUS Deal Rollout Was 'Clumsy' VOA 29 Oct 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden launched his whirlwind European diplomatic tour on a conciliatory note, saying Friday that the rollout of a security deal between the United States, Britain and Australia that cut out longtime ally France was "clumsy."
- UK warns could board more French boats in fishing dispute Press TV 29 Oct 2021 -- The UK has warned France over the seizure of a British scallop dredger in French territorial waters, saying London could order the boarding of more French vessels in retaliation for the move.
- Europe Minister summons French Ambassador UK FCDO 29 Oct 2021 -- French Ambassador to the UK summoned to FCDO over threats made against the UK and Channel Islands
- Remarks by President Biden and President Macron of the French Republic Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 29 Oct 2021
- United States-France Joint Statement The White House 29 Oct 2021
- Australia: France's display of anger in submarine row partially related to domestic politics Press TV 29 Oct 2021 -- Australia's defense minister says French President Emmanuel Macron is playing to domestic political sensibilities by expressing sustained outrage in a recent submarine row with Canberra.
- Joint Statement on Media Freedom Coalition on Media Freedom in Russia US Dept. of State 28 Oct 2021 -- The following is the text of a joint statement signed by the governments of Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with French Foreign Minister Le Drian US Dept. of State 28 Oct 2021
- UK warns France of 'appropriate and calibrated' response over post-Brexit fishing row Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- The UK government has warned that French threats to disrupt British trade by blocking its trawlers will be met with an "appropriate and calibrated" response.
- France sets ultimatum, prepares sanctions for UK in fishing rights dispute Press TV 27 Oct 2021 -- France has threatened to retaliate in the wake of Britain's refusal to offer more permits for French fishermen working in British inshore waters.
- Xi-Macron phone call sets tone for China-France cooperation ahead of key climate summit Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday held a phone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron, in which Xi specified a wide range of fields for cooperation, stressed that multiple major international events have demonstrated that France is correct in advocating the strategic autonomy of the European Union (EU) and expressed hope that France would play a positive role in China-EU relations.
- France launches 'cutting-edge' military satellite into space Press TV 25 Oct 2021 -- France has launched a "state-of-the-art satellite" into orbit, designed to integrate all of the country's forces deployed across the globe.
- France's Far-Right Zemmour Shakes Up Presidential Race, But Likely to Macron's Favor VOA 25 Oct 2021 -- The followers of French television talk-show provocateur Eric Zemmour like to compare him to America's former President Donald Trump, believing he is the man to shake up France.
- China gains support for its sovereignty PLA Daily 23 Oct 2021 -- China's ambassador to the United Nations on Thursday bluntly told the United States, France and a few other Western countries that they are "in no position to make choices for the Chinese people, let alone lecture China", with more than 80 countries expressing their support for China's sovereignty.
- French Lawmakers Reach Out to Taiwan Despite Risk of Angering Beijing VOA 22 Oct 2021 -- A visit by a group of French senators to Taiwan earlier this month is just the latest sign that European countries are willing to engage with the East Asian democracy even at the risk of angering China, according to regional experts.
- French Armed Forces Minister Urges NATO Not to 'Be Afraid' of EU Defence Integration Sputnik 22 Oct 2021 -- After the abrupt US and NATO withdrawal from Afghanistan and the concerns it triggered within the EU, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in September that the bloc needed to "step up to the next level" and beef up its ability to confront security threats and global crises.
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.'s Call with President Emmanuel Macron of France The White House 22 Oct 2021
- Financial sanctions could be imposed on Poland: French minister Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- French European Affairs Minister Clement Beaune has warned that the European Union is prepared to impose financial sanctions against Poland, as tensions continue to escalate between Warsaw and the bloc over a recent Polish court ruling challenging the supremacy of EU law.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Meeting With France Minister of the Armed Forces Florence Parly DoD 21 Oct 2021
- Turkey summons ambassadors of 10 western countries over activist's case Press TV 19 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's Foreign Ministry has summoned the ambassadors of 10 western countries, including the United States and France, to protest against their "irresponsible" statement regarding the case of Osman Kavala, a civil society leader.
- Belarus Kicks Out French Ambassador As Relations With EU Deteriorate RFE/RL 18 Oct 2021 -- Belarus has kicked out French Ambassador to Belarus Nicolas de Lacoste amid poor relations with the European Union over strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka's brutal rule.
- Paris Threatens Retaliation in an Explosive Anglo-French Fishing Dispute VOA 14 Oct 2021 -- France has threatened to retaliate against Britain in yet another post-Brexit dispute, this time over fishing rights in what the British call the English Channel and the French refer to as La Manche, the narrow arm of the Atlantic Ocean separating England's southern coast from the northern shores of France.
- France confirms naval presence in Taiwan Strait CNA 13 Oct 2021 -- France's defense minister has warned escalating tensions between Taiwan and China could have dramatic consequences, after revealing one of the country's naval vessels had been present in the Taiwan Strait.
- Philippine-U.S. exercise MTA Sama Sama kicks off with Japan, France US Navy 12 Oct 2021 -- The virtual engagement features cooperative evolutions that highlight the ability of the U.S. and the Philippines to work together towards the common goal of ensuring a free and open Indo-Pacific maritime security environment.
- Macron Touts Bigger Investment in Nuclear Energy Despite France's Plans to Reduce Share by 2035 Sputnik 12 Oct 2021 -- Although France has long remained a European champion of nuclear energy, it changed its course after the 2011 disaster at Japan's Fukushima plant. Since then, Paris has been planning to reduce nuclear energy's share in the country's overall electricity generation from 75 percent to 50 percent.
- Algeria demands 'total respect' from France Press TV 11 Oct 2021 -- Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune has demanded "total respect" from France, amid a diplomatic row and after the recall of the Algerian ambassador from Paris.
- Berlin Says Leaders Of Germany, France, Ukraine, Russia Agree To Ministerial-Level Meeting RFE/RL 11 Oct 2021 -- Germany says Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron have discussed the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine with the presidents of Ukraine and Russia, and agreed their foreign ministers should meet.
- French senators depart Taiwan after 5-day visit CNA 11 Oct 2021 -- A delegation of French senators departed Taiwan Sunday after concluding a five-day visit that included meetings with President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) and other high-level government officials.
- Mali accuses France of training 'terrorists' in country Press TV 08 Oct 2021 -- Mali says it has evidence that France has been training "terrorist" groups operating in the West African country.
- French delegation travels to Chinese Taipei, meets with island's president Press TV 07 Oct 2021 -- A delegation from the French senate, led by former Minister of Defense Alain Richard, has traveled to Chinese Taipei and met with president Tsai Ing-wen, days after a dramatic spike in tensions between Beijing and Taipei.
- French senate delegation touches down in Taiwan CNA 06 Oct 2021 -- A delegation of French senators led by Alain Richard, head of the French Senate's Taiwan Friendship Group, arrived in Taiwan early Wednesday morning for a five-day visit.
- Blinken: 'Very Productive' Talks With France VOA 06 Oct 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that his talks this week with top French officials were "very productive" and could lead to new collaboration between Washington and Paris to contain China's military ventures in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Algeria dismisses Macron's 'offensive' remarks amid escalating row with France Press TV 05 Oct 2021 -- Algeria's prime minister says his "great" nation will not be undermined by French President Emmanuel Macron's "offensive" remarks about its history.
- Macron Wants G20 To Pressure Taliban On Women's Rights RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Oct 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says he wants the Group of 20 (G20) major economies to set conditions for recognizing the Taliban-led government, including ensuring women's and girls' rights are protected.
- France warns UK over fishing dispute: Bilateral cooperation at risk Press TV 05 Oct 2021 -- France has warned the UK over its failure to provide sufficient fishing licenses to French fishers, calling for the EU to adopt a tougher stance against the UK and raising the alarm that bilateral cooperation could be at risk.
- Blinken in France to Revitalize Transatlantic Alliance VOA 05 Oct 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron and U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken discussed potential areas of cooperation Tuesday, as Blinken visited Paris to try to improve relations between the two allies following a dispute about a security partnership among the United States, Britain and Australia.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French Diplomatic Advisor Emmanuel Bonne US Dept. of State 05 Oct 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French Foreign Minister Le Drian US Dept. of State 05 Oct 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken with Anne-Sophie Lapix of France 2 TV The White House 05 Oct 2021
- Top US diplomat meets France's Macron to heal rift amid submarine row Press TV 05 Oct 2021 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, in a meeting with President Emmanuel Macron, has attempted to mend bilateral relations, which were soured after the United States pushed Paris aside and signed a lucrative multi-billion-dollar nuclear deal with Australia for submarines last month.
- Blinken Tells Macron US Supports European Defence Initiatives in First Talks Since Submarine Crisis Sputnik 05 Oct 2021 -- Last month, Washington, London and Canberra announced the creation of a new security pact known as 'AUKUS', with the US and the UK promising Australia American and British nuclear submarine reactor technology in exchange for closer security cooperation. The deal ended up torpedoing a French-Australian submarine contract worth up to $66 billion.
- Ours is Bigger! France Mocks Size of UK Warship Visiting Vietnam Radio Free Asia 04 Oct 2021 -- A British frigate on Monday completed a visit to Vietnam and left some turbulence in its wake â€“ an unlikely spat on social media between Britain and France.
- Blinken in France to Revitalize Transatlantic Alliance VOA 04 Oct 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has arrived in Paris, his first trip to France following an enhanced trilateral security partnership known as AUKUS (Australia, U.K., and the U.S.) that heightened tensions between the transatlantic allies.
- Paris says Algerian govt. bans French military planes from airspace Press TV 03 Oct 2021 -- Algeria has banned French military planes from entering its airspace, the French army says, as tensions grow over a visa row and critical comments from French President Emmanuel Macron.
- Turkey warns against warship deal between France, Greece Press TV 02 Oct 2021 -- Turkey says a recent warship deal between France and Greece threatens the region's stability as it is aimed at isolating Ankara.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French Ambassador Etienne US Dept. of State 01 Oct 2021
- European and Eurasian Affairs Assistant Secretary Dr. Karen Donfried and Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs Senior Bureau Official Matt Murray On the Secretary's Upcoming Travel to France US Dept. of State 01 Oct 2021
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list