The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

North Korea Says Does Not Intend to Hold Talks With US - State Media

Sputnik News

21:29 GMT 06.07.2020(updated 22:11 GMT 06.07.2020)

North Korea earlier rejected the possibility of restarting negotiations with the United States and accused Washington of embracing a "hostile policy" toward Pyongyang and disregarding agreements made at past summits.

The DPRK said on Monday it does not intend to hold negotiations with the US, Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported.

After the aggravation of inter-Korean relations, the media and experts from different countries, as well as some officials, spoke about the need and even the possibility of resuming US-DPRK talks before the US presidential election in November.

According to a statement made by Choe Son Hui, first vice-minister of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK, Pyongyang was shocked at the suggestion that the talks could be held under current circumstances. He added that Washington considers dialogue with the DPRK as a tool for grappling with its internal political crisis.

The hope for a summit before the US election has been expressed by South Korean leader Moon Jae-in. US Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun is also expected to visit South Korea 7-9 July.

The relationship between Washington and Pyongyang has been deteriorating ever since the fiasco at the Hanoi summit in February 2019. The meeting promised progress in denuclearising the Korean Peninsula and lifting sanctions on the DPRK, but was, however, cut short and ended without a deal on 28 February, due to disagreements over the timing of sanctions relief. The denuclearisation talks have been stalled since then.

© Sputnik



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list