Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2016 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- US Intel Images Suggest Another N. Korean Missile Launch Site VOA 28 Dec 2016 -- New reviews of satellite images suggest North Korea may possess another missile launching site at a village once suspected of having nuclear facilities.
- Defector: N Korea Planning More Nuke Tests, Wants Recognition as Nuclear Power Sputnik 26 Dec 2016 -- North Korea will want to schedule another nuclear test during South Korea's presidential race, a high-ranking defector says – and then to engage in international talks.
- North Korea Defiant as Rivals Undergo Uncertain Change VOA 24 Dec 2016 -- Undeterred by international rebukes and increased sanctions in 2016, North Korea set forth to advance and legitimize its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, but then paused suddenly, most likely to assess unexpected political changes underway in the United States and South Korea.
- Pyongyang Slams UN Chief's Ambition to Become Next South Korean President Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- North Korea subjected the UN Secretary-General's Ban Ki-moon's ambition to run for president in South Korea in 2017 to severe criticism.
- N Korea May Conduct Next Nuclear Test 'at Any Time' - S Korean Intel Service Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Pyongyang may carry out yet another nuclear test at any moment, taking into consideration activities at North Korea's nuclear sites, the director of South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS) said Friday.
- UNSC Resolution Against North Korea Enables War - Pyongyang Sputnik 22 Dec 2016 -- The UN Security Council resolution on new sanctions against Pyongyang is nothing short of a war declaration, and the countries that adopted it will have to face the consequences of this decision, the Foreign Ministry of North Korea said in a statement.
- North Korea Sanctions Delay Lifesaving Medical Aid VOA 22 Dec 2016 -- A humanitarian organization that treats deadly multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in North Korea is being impeded by delays because of heighten inter-Korean tensions and sanctions imposed on the Kim Jong Un government for its ongoing nuclear and ballistic missile development programs.
- North Korea's Military Capabilities are Better Than We Thought, Experts Warn Sputnik 18 Dec 2016 -- North Korea's weapons and military capabilities are more dangerous than previously thought, experts say, and the country is improving them across the board.
- Hi-Tech: North Korea Works on New Long Endurance Drones Sputnik 18 Dec 2016 -- North Korea is developing new unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) with enhanced surveillance and flight capabilities, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said Sunday.
- Statement of the North Atlantic Council on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea NATO 15 Dec 2016 -- "Today the North Atlantic Council has met to discuss the actions of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. We have invited our partners Australia, Japan, New Zealand and the Republic of Korea to join us in deliberating. Based on our consultations and our growing concern for the matter, the North Atlantic Council issues this statement."
- S Korea Slams North for Drills Simulating Attack on Presidential Office in Seoul Sputnik 12 Dec 2016 -- According to media reports, Seoul has criticized Pyongyang for its military exercises simulating an attack on the official residence of the South Korean president in Seoul.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Combat Drill of Special Operation Battalion of KPA Unit 525 KCNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK, guided the combat drill of the service personnel of the special operation battalion of KPA Unit 525.
- North Korea Conducts Drills Imitating Takeover of Seoul Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attended drills by his country's special forces unit that imitated the destruction and capture of specific strategic targets in South Korea, including the South Korean presidential residence, the Blue House.
- DPRK Will Bolster up Self-defensive Deterrent: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Shortly ago, the UNSC, whose mission is to preserve international peace and security, followed the moves hostile to the DPRK under pressure of the U.S., being lost to impartiality. Therefore, it is denounced and cursed to have been reduced to the waiting maid of a specified country.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hits out at U.S.-sponsored Anti-DPRK "Human Rights" Farce at UNSC KCNA 11 Dec 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA Sunday as regards the U.S.-sponsored discussion of the "human rights issue" of the DPRK at the UN Security Council:
- North Korea Now Has an ICBM That Can Reach US Mainland Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- North Korea is now in possession of a nuclear intercontinental ballistic missile that can reach the US mainland, according to a senior US military official.
- North Korea capable of launching nuclear weapons: US Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- North Korea has become capable of launching nuclear weapons, a US military official says, noting that the secretive regime does not seem to have acquired the technology to control the weapon after it is launched.
- DPRK FM Spokesman Denounces Office of UN High Commissioner for Human Rights KCNA 09 Dec 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK Friday gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA as regards the fact that the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights pulled up the DPRK over the issue of divided families in the north and the south of Korea:
- Human rights violations in DPR Korea 'warning signs of instability and conflict,' Security Council told UN News 09 Dec 2016 -- Citing human rights violations in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), senior United Nations officials today highlighted the need for the Security Council to pay attention to the situation "of great concern."
- China Fails to Block UN Meeting on North Korea Rights VOA 09 Dec 2016 -- The U.N. Security Council discussed the situation of human rights in North Korea on Friday, despite efforts by China to block it.
- US Official: North Korea's Nuclear Capabilities Growing VOA 09 Dec 2016 -- North Korea now has the capability to launch a nuclear weapon, but it may not be able to hit its intended target, according to a senior U.S. military official.
- New UN report urges action to end 'unimaginable suffering' for separated families on Korean peninsula UN News 07 Dec 2016 -- A new report from the United Nations human rights wing calls attention to more than 60 years of separation between families on the Korean peninsula, and urges action in order to alleviate the suffering of families.
- South Korea Suspects Pyongyang of Hacking its Cyber Command Sputnik 06 Dec 2016 -- South Korean cyber command have likely been hacked with North Korea being suspected of committing the alleged attack, a South Korean Defense Ministry official said on Tuesday.
- Seoul Fears North Korean Provocation Amid Political Crisis, Ready to Repel Sputnik 05 Dec 2016 -- Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesman Jeon Ha-kyu said any North Korean provocation would be equal "to self-destruction."
- Kim Jong Un Guides Combat Flight Contest among Commanding Officers of KPA Air and Anti-Air Force KCNA 04 Dec 2016 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army (KPA) Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK, guided the combat flight contest among commanding officers of the KPA Air and Anti-Air Force-2016.
- Moscow, Tokyo Pledge to Cooperate on UNSC North Korea Resolution - Tokyo Sputnik 03 Dec 2016 -- Moscow and Tokyo have agreed to jointly work on the effective implementation of the latest UN Security Council resolution imposing new sanctions on North Korea following its nuclear test in September, the Japanese Foreign Ministry's deputy press secretary said Saturday.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Intensive Striking Drill of KPA Artillery Units on Front KCNA 02 Dec 2016 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army (KPA), Thursday guided an intensive artillery striking drill of KPA artillery units on the front.
- U.S. Moves to Create Triangular Military Alliance for Aggression under Fire KCNA 02 Dec 2016 -- A spokesman for the National Peace Committee of Korea issued a statement Friday as regards the disclosure of the fact that the agreement on protecting military intelligence was concluded between the Park Geun Hye group of traitors and the Japanese reactionaries under the backstage manipulation and pressure of the U.S.
- North Korea conducts artillery drill as UN, South Korea, Japan impose sanctions Press TV 02 Dec 2016 -- North Korea has carried out a large-scale artillery drill simulating an attack on South Korea, as Seoul and Tokyo unveil fresh unilateral sanctions against Pyongyang over its nuclear and missile program following a UN sanction resolution.
- US Sanctions 7 People, 16 Entities Over North Korea's Nuclear Program Sputnik 02 Dec 2016 -- Treasury Department said that United States sanctioned seven individuals and 16 entities, including the state-owned carrier Air Koryo, for ties to North Korea's nuclear program.
- South Korea, Japan Add to Sanctions on North Korea VOA 02 Dec 2016 -- South Korea and Japan have imposed unilateral sanctions on their nuclear-armed neighbor, North Korea.
- South Korea Vows to Unveil Unilateral Sanctions Against North on Friday Sputnik 01 Dec 2016 -- South Korea plans to impose unilateral sanctions against North Korea in the wake of a UN Security Council sanctions over the North's continued nuclear tests, the South Korean Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Japan Working on Strengthening Unilateral Sanctions Against N Korea Sputnik 01 Dec 2016 -- Tokyo is about to finalize sanctions against Pyongyang after the UNSC sanctions imposed after North Korean nuclear test in September.
- China to seriously implement UN sanctions on North Korea: Chinese Foreign Ministry Press TV 01 Dec 2016 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry says Beijing would seriously implement new United Nations Security Council sanctions against North Korea over its nuclear and missile programs.
- Pyongyang Calls UNSC Resolution Imposing Sanctions Over Nuke Tests 'Falsified' Sputnik 01 Dec 2016 -- The new UN Security Council resolution imposing new sanctions on North Korea following its nuclear test in September is "falsified," and it will deepen tensions on the Korean peninsula, the North Korean embassy to Moscow said in a press release on Thursday.
- Few Expect New UN Sanctions to Deter North Korea VOA 01 Dec 2016 -- U.S. allies in East Asia on Thursday welcomed the incrementally tougher sanctions imposed on North Korea by the United Nations Security Council, but few in the region expect these new measures to deter the Kim Jong Un government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list