Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2016 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- Kim Jong Un Elected as Chairman of DPRK State Affairs Commission KCNA 30 Jun 2016 -- The respected Comrade Kim Jong Un was elected as chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK at the Fourth Session of the 13th Supreme People's Assembly (SPA) held on June 29, reflecting the unanimous will and desire of all deputies to the SPA, service personnel and civilians.
- Letter to Kim Jong Un from Participants in Enlarged Meeting of 3rd Session of 23rd Central Committee of Chongryon KCNA 30 Jun 2016 -- The respected Marshal Kim Jong Un received a letter from the participants in the enlarged meeting of the 3rd session of the 23rd Central Committee of the General Association of Korean Residents in Japan (Chongryon) on June 27.
- Spokesman for Committee for Peaceful Reunification Urges U.S. to Make Right Option KCNA 30 Jun 2016 -- Medium long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-10 that shot up to space strikingly demonstrating the tremendous defence capabilities of the DPRK is sparking quite a stir among the world public.
- Moscow Not Considering Six-Party Talks on N Korean Nuclear Issue 'Dead' Sputnik 30 Jun 2016 -- Russia is not considering the six-party talks on Korean nuclear issue to be "dead," stressing the necessity to continue work on resuming the negotiations, Russian Ambassador to South Korea Alexander Timonin told Sputnik in an interview.
- Pyongyang Jams S Korea's GPS Signals Over 2,000 Times Sputnik 30 Jun 2016 -- Trying to sabotage regular US-South Korea joint military drills, North Korea transmitted over 2,000 jamming signals against its southern neighbor in the last six years, threatening to down hundreds of passenger airplanes, a South Korean MP revealed Wednesday.
- Fourth Session of 13th SPA Held in DPRK in Presence of Kim Jong Un KCNA 29 Jun 2016 -- The Fourth Session of the 13th Supreme People's Assembly (SPA) of the DPRK took place here on June 29.
- Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session with Contributors to Successful Medium Long-Range Strategic Ballistic Rocket Test-Fire KCNA 29 Jun 2016 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, had a photo session with the contributors to the successful test-fire of the surface-to-surface medium long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-10, which is of weighty significance in increasing the defence capabilities of Juche Korea in every way.
- Kim Expected to Solidify Control of North Korea With New Title VOA 29 Jun 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is expected to receive a new title that would reinforce his absolute hold on power, while holding in check the influence of the military.
- Seoul Says North Korean Ships Equipped With US Machine Guns Sputnik 28 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has started to equip its ships with US made multi-barrelled machine guns, South Korean media reported.
- Briefing on Situation on Korean Peninsula Given for Diplomatic Envoys Here from Asian Countries KCNA 28 Jun 2016 -- The Foreign Ministry of the DPRK organized a briefing on the recent situation on the Korean peninsula for diplomatic envoys here from Asian countries Tuesday.
- North Korea's Scuds can reach US base in Japan: Paper Press TV 28 Jun 2016 -- North Korea's short-range Scud missiles are now developed enough to reach the US naval base in Japan, the South's military sources say.
- Open Letter to Authorities, Political Parties, Organizations and Individuals of S. Korea and Overseas KCNA 27 Jun 2016 -- The north side preparatory committee for the joint conference of political parties and organizations and individual personages in north and south of Korea and overseas for peace and independent reunification of the Korean peninsula Monday sent an open letter as regards the holding of a great national conference for reunification on the occasion of the 71st anniversary of Korea's liberation to the south Korean authorities including chiefs of offices of Chongwadae, the prime minister, ministers and vice-ministers, officials concerned of the south Korean National Assembly including Chairman Jong Se Gyun, Vice-Chairmen Pak Ju Son and Sim Jae Chol, leading officials of the Minju Party, the Saenuri Party, the Party of People and the Party of Justice of south Korea, chief vice-chairman of the Advisory Council for Democracy and Peaceful Unification of south Korea, the president of the Red Cross of south Korea, heads of local autonomous bodies of south Korea, the South Side Committee for Implementing the June 15 Joint Declaration and other reunification movement organizations, religious and civic and public organizations, socio-cultural and economic cooperative organizations, Ri Hui Ho, Rim Tong Won, Pak Ji Won, Jong Se Hyon, Jong Tong Yong, Ri Jong Sok, Ri Jae Jong and others related to the Pyongyang meeting, more than a hundred of famous individuals and overseas compatriotic organizations and personages.
- DPRK proposes inter-Korean conference for reunification People's Daily 27 Jun 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday proposed a conference with South Korea to discuss reunification of the Korean nation and peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- UN Office Builds Human Rights Case Against Pyongyang VOA 27 Jun 2016 -- While North Korea's dismal human rights record has been overshadowed of late by its latest round of provocative nuclear and missile tests, the United Nations is continuing to build the case to prosecute Kim Jong Un and his leadership for crimes against humanity.
- DPRK NDC Policy Department Blasts U.S., S. Korea for Turning Southwestern Waters in West Sea into Hottest Spot Waters KCNA 25 Jun 2016 -- The Policy Department of the National Defence Commission (NDC) of the DPRK in a detailed report on Saturday disclosed and denounced the thrice-cursed crimes committed by the sworn enemy given the prevailing situation in the hot spot waters in the West Sea which can be called the epitome of the U.S. hostile policy toward the DPRK and the south Korean puppet forces' policy for confrontation with the DPRK.
- Day of Strategic Force Instituted in DPRK KCNA 25 Jun 2016 -- A decree of the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK on instituting the Day of Strategic Force of the DPRK was promulgated on Friday.
- North Korea not to surrender nuclear might under US threats: Official Press TV 25 Jun 2016 -- North Korea says it has strengthened its nuclear might due to Washington's pressure and threats, stressing that Pyongyang cannot give up on its nuclear and missile tests with the 'US gun on its head.'
- North Korea is 'Proud' US Feels Threatened By Its Nuclear Weapons Sputnik 25 Jun 2016 -- A top Pyongyang official has claimed to US media that North Korea is a nuclear power the West cannot ignore.
- North Korea Nuclear, Missile Programs Meant to Hold US 'Hostage' Sputnik 25 Jun 2016 -- The likely intent of North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile tests is to alter possible US military designs against Pyongyang, US Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Nonproliferation Thomas Countryman said on Friday.
- N Korea rejects UNSC rebuke of missile tests, blames US for peninsula tensions Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has strongly rejected a UN Security Council rebuke of Pyongyang's recent missile tests, saying the US is pushing the Korean Peninsula towards an "uncontrollable extreme phase."
- N Korea to increase nuke tests in response to US threats: Official Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- A top North Korean official says his country has no choice but to conduct more nuclear tests and missile launches as long as the United States continues its hostile policy towards Pyongyang.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Test-fire of Hwasong-10 KCNA 23 Jun 2016 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, guided the test-fire of surface-to-surface medium long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-10.
- Korean People Vow to Take Revenge upon U.S. Imperialist Aggressors KCNA 23 Jun 2016 -- Meetings were held by working people's organizations on Thursday to vow to take revenge upon the U.S. aggressors with the approach of June 25, the day of struggle against U.S. imperialism.
- Demonstration of Invincible Might, Successful Rocket Test-fire KCNA 23 Jun 2016 -- People of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea are seized with great joy at the successful test-fire of new strategic weapon.
- Successful Test-fire of Hwasong-10 Pleases DPRK Citizens KCNA 23 Jun 2016 -- All the people in the DPRK are delighted at the news of its successful test-fire of surface-to-surface medium long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-10.
- FM Spokesman Assails U.S. for Instigating UN Secretary General to Send Letter to UNSC President KCNA 23 Jun 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Thursday in connection with the fact that the U.S. let the UN secretary general forward a letter denying the DPRK's right to launch satellite to the president of the UN Security Council:
- DPRK announces successful test-launch of medium- and long-range strategic ballistic missile People's Daily 23 Jun 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday announced that it has successfully test-launched a surface-to-surface medium- and long-range strategic ballistic missile Hwasong-10 and the top leader Kim Jong Un watched the launch on the site, according to state media KCNA.
- UN convenes emergency meeting on North Korea missile launches Press TV 23 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has held an emergency meeting on North Korea's latest missile launches, with the council's president suggesting that there has been unanimity among members in opposition to the tests.
- North Korea test necessitates stronger US defense: Carter Press TV 23 Jun 2016 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter says North Korea's latest launch of an intermediate-range ballistic missile raises the need for a strong missile program for all the allies of Washington in the region.
- North Korea missiles can hit US Pacific bases: Kim Jong-un Press TV 23 Jun 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says Pyongyang's recently-tested medium-range missiles can target US military bases in the Pacific.
- Security Council strongly condemns DPRK's ballistic missile launches UN News 23 Jun 2016 -- The Security Council today strongly condemned the ballistic missile launches conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on 21 June, noting that these repeated acts are in grave violation of obligations under the relevant resolutions adopted by the 15-nation body.
- S.Korea denounces DPRK's missile launches as violation of UN resolutions People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- South Korea on Wednesday denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s test-launches of two missiles, which were believed to be intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missiles, as it violated UN Security Council resolutions banning any test of the DPRK's ballistic missile technology.
- Seoul: Sanctions Against N Korea May Be Toughened Over New Missile Launches Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- South Korean foreign ministry warned Wednesday that sanctions against North Korea may be toughened after the country launched two ballistic missiles.
- Japan condemns N Korea for its fresh ballistic missile tests Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says North Korea's launch of two ballistic missiles on Wednesday is "unforgivable" as his country's armed forces are put on high alert.
- USSTRATCOM Detects, Tracks North Korean Missile Launches USSTRATCOM 21 Jun 2016 -- U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) systems detected and tracked what we assess were two North Korean missile launches at 3:56 p.m. CDT and 6:03 p.m. CDT, June 21, 2016. The launch of two presumed Musudan intermediate range ballistic missiles occurred at Wonsan.
- DPRK yet to confirm suspected missile launches People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has not confirmed the suspected test-launch of two missiles on Wednesday morning.
- DPRK fires 6th suspected Musudan missile, 2nd in a day People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- A Local resident watches the screen broadcasting the news that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) fired a missile, at a train station in Seoul, South Korea, June 22, 2016. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday fired the sixth suspected Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missile, the second in the day, after the fifth test-launch had failed, Yonhap news agency reported citing military authorities. (Xinhua/Yao Qilin)
- US condemns North Korea missile tests, says ready for 'any attack' Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- The US State Department has condemned North Korea for launching two Musudan mid-range ballistic missiles, saying the US remains "prepared" in the face of any threat.
- North Korea launches two ballistic missiles, reports say Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has reportedly test-launched two Musudan mid-range ballistic missiles, Washington and Seoul military sources say.
- North Korea Fires Second Ballistic Missile Hours After First Failed Launch Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- South Korea claims that the North has fired another mid-range ballistic missile, its second of the day.
- North Korea Reportedly Fires Ballistic Missile Off East Coast Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- According to South Korea's Yonhap News Agency, the DPRK has fired an intermediate-range ballistic missile from its eastern coast.
- North Korea's Missile Tests Show Real Progress VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- North Korea's latest missile tests indicate the Kim Jong Un government is continuing to advance its ballistic missile technology, in defiance of United Nations sanctions.
- Seoul: N. Korea Tests 2 Ballistic Missiles, 1 Fails VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- North Korea on Wednesday fired two ballistic missile from its east coast, U.S. and South Korean military officials said. At least one of the two attempts failed.
- DPRK Foreign Minister Meets UN Resident Coordinator KCNA 21 Jun 2016 -- DPRK Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho met and had a talk with Tapan Mishra, UN resident coordinator and UNDP resident representative in the DPRK, who paid a courtesy call on him Tuesday.
- No immediate sign of Musudan firing detected yet from DPRK People's Daily 21 Jun 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has deployed what is believed to be its intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missile in its east coast, Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday citing a government source.
- DPRK deploys Musudan ballistic missile in east coast People's Daily 21 Jun 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has deployed what is believed to be its intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missile in its east coast, Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday.
- Japan, South Korea on alert for possible North Korea missile test Press TV 21 Jun 2016 -- Japan has put its military on high alert over what is said to be signs of another attempt by North Korea to launch a missile from its east coast.
- N. Korea Won't Discuss Releasing US Citizens if Bae Continues Criticism VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- North Korea will not negotiate the release of two American citizens under arrest unless former detainee and American missionary Kenneth Bae stops using what Pyongyang considers to be slanderous language about the country.
- KCNA Commentary Refutes Korean American Bae Jun Ho's False Propaganda KCNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Korean American Bae Jun Ho (Kenneth Bae) is now cursed and censured by public for renewing his false propaganda about the DPRK.
- North Korea rules out release of US detainees Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- North Korea says it will not consider releasing two jailed Americans unless former detainee Kenneth Bae stops "jabbering" against the government in Pyongyang.
- One More Great Upswing Effected in DPRK KCNA 18 Jun 2016 -- All the people in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have turned out in a 200-day campaign to make a breakthrough in implementing the five-year strategy for national economic development, set forth at the 7th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- China prohibits exports of dual-use technologies to North Korea Press TV 15 Jun 2016 -- China has banned exports of several technologies that could be used for both military and peaceful purposes to North Korea, in reaction to Pyongyang's nuclear program.
- FM Spokesman of DPRK Assails Entry of U.S. Nuclear Submarine to S. Korea KCNA 16 Jun 2016 -- On June 13 the U.S. nuclear submarine Mississippi entered Pusan Port, south Korea, its first appearance in Asia-Pacific.
- All Koreans Called on to Open Second June 15 Era of Reunification KCNA 15 Jun 2016 -- The North Side, South Side and Overseas Side Committees for Implementing the June 15 Joint Declaration issued an appeal on Wednesday, the 16th anniversary of the publication of the June 15 joint declaration.
- DPRK FM Spokesman Blasts U.S. Plan for "Precision Air Raid Operation" against DPRK KCNA 15 Jun 2016 -- We will further bolster up in quality and quantity the nuclear deterrence for self-defence in face of the U.S. reckless war moves and thoroughly foil any slightest military provocation of the enemies with the Korean-style mode of merciless counteraction.
- US Seeks African Allies Against Pyongyang's Nuclear Drive VOA 15 Jun 2016 -- The top U.S. nonproliferation official is in Africa to try to align nations against North Korea's nuclear ambitions by urging them to cut ties with Pyongyang. The threat, he says, is not as far away as it seems.
- Global nuclear weapons: downsizing but modernizing SIPRI 13 Jun 2016 -- The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) today launches its annual nuclear forces data, which highlights the current trends and developments in world nuclear arsenals. The data shows that while the overall number of nuclear weapons in the world continues to decline, none of the nuclear weapon-possessing states are prepared to give up their nuclear arsenals for the foreseeable future.
- N Korea Hackers Steal Wing Blueprints for US F-15 Fighters Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- Pyongyang hackers stole defense documents including US F-15 fighter jet designs in the latest of its cyberattacks on Seoul, media reported Monday, citing the South Korean police.
- Pyongyang Proposes Intra-Korean Meeting on Reunification Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has proposed to hold an inter-Korean meeting on reunification, which would coincide with the 71st anniversary of Korea's liberation from Japanese colonial rule, local media reported Friday.
- Spokesman for DPRK Red Cross Society Urges S. Korean Authorities to Send Back All Abductees of DPRK KCNA 09 Jun 2016 -- A spokesman for the Central Committee of the DPRK Red Cross Society on Thursday gave an answer to the question put by KCNA as regards the fact that the south Korean puppet Intelligence Service (IS) is desperately conducting an anti-DPRK smear campaign, while resorting to its operations to allure and abduct citizens of the DPRK.
- DPRK Minister of People's Armed Forces on Nuclear Deterrent for Self-Defense KCNA 09 Jun 2016 -- Army General Pak Yong Sik, minister of the People's Armed Forces of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, issued a statement on Thursday.
- N Korea Accuses South of Reconnaissance Activities Beyond Maritime Border Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has accused Seoul of violating its territorial waters and airspace and carrying out reconnaissance missions beyond the maritime border, the South Korean Yonhap news agency reports.
- Japan expresses concern over possible DPRK plutonium production, Abe visits spy satellite HQ People's Daily 08 Jun 2016 -- The Japanese government on Wednesday said that it was liaising with the United States and South Korea over concerns that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) may have resumed its production of plutonium for possible use in nuclear warheads.
- S.Korea expresses worry about DPRK's restart of plutonium reprocessing People's Daily 08 Jun 2016 -- South Korea's unification ministry in charge of inter-Korean affairs on Wednesday expressed deep worry about a report that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) had restarted plutonium reprocessing activities at its main nuclear complex.
- North Korea Again Seen Producing Plutonium for Nuclear Bombs VOA 08 Jun 2016 -- South Korea's government on Wednesday declined to directly confirm the reported resumption of plutonium production in North Korea but said it is "watching the relevant movements closely with serious concern."
- North Korean Diplomats Use Immunity for Money-making Scheme VOA 07 Jun 2016 -- North Korean diplomats in Pakistan caught selling liquor illegally are continuing the illicit activity by using their immunity status, multiple sources familiar with the subject said.
- North Korea slam US money laundering label Press TV 05 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has strongly denounced the US for labeling it a hub for money laundering, saying the "desperate" move only shows the inefficiency of sanctions against Pyongyang.
- Security Council strongly condemns recent failed ballistic missile launches by DPR Korea UN News 01 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the most recent failed ballistic missile launches by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on 31 May and 27 and 28 April, reiterating that the Government should refrain from further actions in violation of the relevant Council's resolutions.
- US Takes Steps to Further Cut Off North Korea from US Banks VOA 01 Jun 2016 -- The United States is taking further action to cut off North Korean access to the U.S. financial system, calling the North a "primary money-laundering concern."
- President Xi meets DPRK delegation People's Daily 01 Jun 2016 -- President Xi Jinpingmet with a visiting delegation of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday.
- N Korea begins 200-day battle to boost economy Press TV 01 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has begun a 200-day battle to boost the country's sanctions-hit economy as part of a five-year economic plan.
- Japan, US, South Korea Agree to Step Up Pressure on North Korea Sputnik 01 Jun 2016 -- The foreign ministers of Japan, the United States and South Korea agreed on Wednesday to increase pressure on North Korea and are against possible negotiations, Japanese media reported.
- North Korea State Media Call Trump 'Wise Politician' VOA 01 Jun 2016 -- As the Republican party starts to coalesce around presumptive nominee Donald Trump, one endorsement has come from an unlikely place: North Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list