Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2009 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- DPRK's Will to Strive for Building Nuclear-free World Reiterated KCNA 30 Sep 2009 -- DPRK foreign ministry spokesman: Resolution a double-standards document.
- KCNA Dismisses S. Korean Chief Executive's "Proposal" as Rubbish KCNA 30 Sep 2009 -- The south Korean chief executive spelt out "Grand Bargain" over the nuclear issue during his recent visit to the U.S.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Work in Pyongyang KCNA 30 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the work in different fields in Pyongyang.
- Taiwan Aboriginal Village Targeted for Nuclear Waste Disposal VOA 30 Sep 2009 -- Taiwan has tried and failed to sell its nuclear waste to N, Korea and China.
- Command Remains Flexible as North Korean Threat Changes AFPS 29 Sep 2009 -- N. Korean threat changing and the response to the nation’s provocations must change too.
- General Cites Importance of Northeastern Asia AFPS 29 Sep 2009 -- Northeastern Asia is an area of vital national interest to the US, and American troops stand ready to defend the region.
- Kim Jong Il Meets Participants of Meeting of Non-Commissioned Officers KCNA 29 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il met participants in national meeting of active non-commissioned officers of the KPA.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Establishments in Pyongyang KCNA 29 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to light industrial establishments in Pyongyang.
- North Korea warns U.S. against sanctions over nuclear program RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2009 -- North Korea will increase its nuclear deterrence forces if the U.S. threatens it with new sanctions.
- China's Number Two Leader Plans Visit to North Korea VOA 29 Sep 2009 -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will sign several agreements with North Korean leaders during a visit to Pyongyang next week.
- Denuclearization of Korean Peninsula hinges on US moves, DPR Korea tells UN UN News Centre 28 Sep 2009 -- Denuclearization is the ultimate aim of the DPRK, but depends on US policies.
- Hillary Clinton hails Russian support on Iran, N. Korea RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2009 -- US State Secretary Clinton praised Russia's willingness to cooperate on stand on Iran and N. Korea.
- N. Korean Workers Earn Dollars for Construction Work in Russia VOA 28 Sep 2009 -- With the international community tightening economic sanctions, Pyongyang more eager to earn hard currency.
- North Korea Weekly (September 21 - 27, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 962 (Sep 21 to Sep 27, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Nuclear, humanitarian issues top Ban's talks with DPR Korea official UN News Centre 27 Sep 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban reiterated his hope that the nuclear and other outstanding issues faced by the DPRK will be resolved through dialogue.
- Families separated by Korean War meet at rare reunion RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2009 -- Hundreds of elderly North and South Koreans separated by the Korean War met to the north of the border.
- KCNA Report on Shining Successes Made in 150-day Campaign KCNA 25 Sep 2009 -- KCNA released a report in connection with the shining victory won by the army and people in the 150-day campaign.
- Divided Korean Families Prepare for Brief, Emotional Reunions VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Small number of elderly South Koreans preparing to cross the border with North Korea for a family meeting.
- Resolution 1887, Historic Summit of Security Council Pledges Support for Progress on Stalled Efforts to End Nuclear Weapons Proliferation UN Security Council 24 Sep 2009
- Military Exchange between China and DPRK Called for KCNA 24 Sep 2009 -- Vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission met with the military delegation of the Korean People's Army.
- Denuclearization vital for peace on Korean Peninsula UN News Centre 23 Sep 2009 -- President of the ROK: Denuclearization is essential to achieving peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korean president calls on North to scrap nuclear program RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2009 -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak urged the North to abandon its nuclear program.
- Obama warns North Korea, Iran in UN speech RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2009 -- US President warned leaders of N. Korea and Iran that they would be "held accountable" if they continued to disregard international law.
- Obama Seeks UN Cooperation to Solve World's Problems AFPS 23 Sep 2009 -- President Obama asked for global cooperation to solve pressing world problems like nuclear proliferation, terrorism and extremism.
- Clinton Discusses N. Korea Outreach with S. Korean, Japanese Counterparts VOA 21 Sep 2009 -- Secretary of State Clinton discussed a possible US-North Korea meeting with her counterparts.
- Iran's missile program potential greater than N.Korea's - expert RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2009 -- Former head of a Russian defense industry research institute: Iran's missile potential greater than North Korea's.
- North Korea Weekly (September 14 - 20, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 961 (Sep 14 to Sep 20, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- N. Korea nuclear talks could exclude Russia, Japan RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2009 -- Six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program may be resumed but with only four parties, excluding Russia and Japan.
- North Korean leader meets with Chinese envoy RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il met with a special envoy of the Chinese president, the countries' state media reported.
- New DPRK Minister of Finance Appointed KCNA 18 Sep 2009 -- Decree of the Presidium of the DPRK Supreme People's Assembly was promulgated to relieve the DPRK minister of Finance of his post.
- Unconverted Long-Term Prisoners Lead Worthwhile Life KCNA 18 Sep 2009 -- Sixty-three unconverted long-term prisoners returned to the north nine years ago.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Construction Sites of Huichon Power Station KCNA 17 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the Huichon Power Station.
- Report Lists Russia, China As Top US Concerns RFE/RL 16 Sep 2009 -- New report says Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea pose the greatest challenges to US national interests.
- UN Security Council extends N.Korea report drafting period RIA Novosti 15 Sep 2009 -- UN Security Council extended by two months the period to draft a report on the implementation of resolution 1718.
- Medvedev hopes N.Korea will stop nuclear tests RIA Novosti 15 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev hopes North Korea will pay attention to international appeals to stop nuclear tests and launches.
- North, South Korea Exchange Lists for Coveted Family Reunions VOA 15 Sep 2009 -- North and South Korea are a step closer to holding another round of reunions for families separated by the 1950s war.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Industrial Establishments KCNA 14 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the Pukjung Machine Complex and the Rakwon Machine Complex.
- North Korean leader sends birthday greetings to Russia's Medvedev RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il congratulated Russian President Dmitry on his 44th birthday.
- North Korea Weekly (September 7 - 13, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 960 (Sep 7 to Sep 13, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kim Jong Il Watches Combined Maneuvers of Combined Unit of KPA Navy KCNA 13 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il visited Combined Unit 597 of the KPA Navy and watched its combined maneuvers.
- U.S. says ready for bilateral talks with North Korea RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2009 -- The U.S. Department of State has voiced its readiness to begin bilateral talks with North Korea in order to bring the reclusive communist state back to nuclear negotiations within the six-party format.
- Soldiers and People Are Harmonious Whole in DPRK KCNA 11 Sep 2009 -- Today the soldiers and people of the DPRK form inseparable ties as a harmonious whole.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Great Unity of Whole Nation KCNA 11 Sep 2009 -- The cause of national reunification necessarily requires the great unity of the whole nation as it is a nationwide cause which can neither be achieved by the efforts of any of the north and south sides alone nor by the efforts of any specified class or stratum alone.
- US Ready for Bilateral Meeting With North Korea VOA 11 Sep 2009 -- The State Department said Friday it is prepared to hold a bilateral meeting with North Korea with the aim of prodding Pyongyang to return to multilateral negotiations over its nuclear program.
- N. Korea Softens Economic Demands on South VOA 11 Sep 2009 -- North Korea has withdrawn its insistence on massive wage increases from South Korea at a jointly-run factory zone in the North. The move is widely seen as part of a broader charm offensive by Pyongyang, but comes as South Korea remains angry at a flood the North caused.
- Russia says N.Korea's nuclear experiments threaten peace RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2009 -- North Korea's uranium enrichment experiments could further complicate the situation on the Korean Peninsula, a Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
- Banquet Given by DPRK Government KCNA 09 Sep 2009 -- The DPRK government hosted a banquet at the People's Palace of Culture on Wednesday to celebrate the 61st birthday of the DPRK.
- Homage Paid to Kim Il Sung KCNA 09 Sep 2009 -- Senior party and state officials, commanding officers of the Korean People's Army, the chairperson of a friendly party and leading officials of the party and armed forces bodies and working people's organizations visited the Kumsusan Memorial Palace on Wednesday on the occasion of the birthday of the DPRK, and paid tribute to President Kim Il Sung.
- Floral Tribute Paid to Kim Il Sung KCNA 09 Sep 2009 -- Floral baskets were placed before the statues of President Kim Il Sung on the occasion of the 61st birthday of the DPRK.
- Art Performances Given to Celebrate Birthday of DPRK KCNA 09 Sep 2009 -- The Samjiyon Band of the Mansudae Art Troupe gave its performance at the People's Palace of Culture on Wednesday to mark the 61st birthday of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Dancing Parties Held to Mark Birthday of DPRK KCNA 09 Sep 2009 -- Dancing parties were held by youth and students throughout the country on Wednesday on the occasion of the 61st anniversary of the founding of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun Editorially Observes Birthday of DPRK KCNA 09 Sep 2009 -- Rodong Sinmun Wednesday editorially calls for eternally glorifying the era of great prosperity of Songun Korea on the occasion of the 61st anniversary of the founding of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- South Korean Official Questions North's Motives After Flood VOA 09 Sep 2009 -- South Korea remains dissatisfied with Pyongyang's explanation of a deadly flood that resulted from a dam opening in North Korean territory. Seoul's chief official on North Korean policy is beginning to question publicly Pyongyang's motives.
- US Sanctions Two More North Korean Entities VOA 08 Sep 2009 -- The United States Tuesday imposed sanctions against two North Korean entities said to be involved in that country's missile and nuclear programs. The action came as the U.S. envoy for North Korean policy completed a round of talks in Asia on ways to get Pyongyang to return to nuclear negotiations.
- U.S. envoy says no alternative to six-party talks on N. Korea RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2009 -- Washington may consider bilateral talks with N. Korea in the future, but not as a substitute for six-party talks on the country's nuclear disarmament, the U.S. special envoy on North Korea said on Tuesday.
- North Korean dam discharge kills at least three RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2009 -- The South Korean government sent a letter of protest to North Korea on Monday over the surprise discharge of water from a dam that killed at least three people, Yonhap news agency reported.
- DPRK Emerges Victorious with Might of Harmonious Whole KCNA 07 Sep 2009 -- The DPRK has covered a proud course of 60-odd-year-long history in which it has won victory after victory with the might of the harmonious whole of the leader and the people.
- U.S. Military Strong Arm Policy towards DPRK under Fire KCNA 07 Sep 2009 -- It was reported by Reuters recently that a Lieut. general of the U.S. Air Force disclosed the U.S. military was in the process of securing 10~12 Bunker-Busters for the purpose of destroying underground nuclear facilities, etc. of the DPRK and Iran. The U.S. military was reported to have stepped up the production of the above-said bombs for striking "enemy" underground facilities by use of Stealth bomber B-2s, etc.
- Great Life for People KCNA 07 Sep 2009 -- The Korean people are yearning more earnestly for President Kim Il Sung who devoted his whole life to the struggle for liberating the country from the yoke of the Japanese imperialist rule and for providing happiness to the people with the 61st anniversary of the founding of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea drawing near.
- Korean People Called upon to Emerge Victors in Gigantic Drive for Building Thriving Nation KCNA 07 Sep 2009 -- The Korean people's great advance for building a thriving nation is sure to be crowned with a victory as they are dashing ahead, united close around General Secretary Kim Jong Il.
- Full Play to Revolutionary Spirit of Mt. Paektu Called for KCNA 07 Sep 2009 -- The revolutionary spirit of Mt. Paektu is the source of strong mental power of the servicepersons and people in the DPRK and serves as an everlasting treasured sword for working miracles. Rodong Sinmun Monday says this in an editorial. It calls for intensifying the charge in this spirit to win victory in every work site for effecting a great surge.
- Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia Exhibitions Held at Mt. Myohyang and Mt. Chilbo Resorts KCNA 07 Sep 2009 -- The Kimilsungia-Kimjongilia exhibitions were separately held at Mt. Myohyang and Mt. Chilbo resorts from Sept. 1 to 7.
- North Korea Weekly (August 31 - September 6, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 959 (Aug 31 to Sep 6, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work Observed KCNA 06 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il's work "The Democratic People's Republic of Korea Is a Socialist State of Juche with Invincible Might" made public on September 5 last year is a highly important work to be held fast to in successfully carrying forward the Juche-oriented cause of the socialist nation-building started by President Kim Il Sung, Rodong Sinmun Sunday says this in a signed article.
- South Korea, US Show Unified Front on North's Nuclear Weapons VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- South Korea and the United States are wrapping up senior diplomatic talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons with a show of unity. They say a six-nation process that has been underway for six years must be preserved.
- US, South Korea Hold Talks on North Korean Nuclear Program VOA 05 Sep 2009 -- Top nuclear envoys from the United States and South Korea held talks Saturday on ways to bring North Korea back to disarmament negotiations, a day after the North claimed to have succeeded in enriching uranium.
- DPRK Permanent Representative Sends Letter to President of UNSC KCNA 04 Sep 2009 -- The permanent representative of the DPRK to the United Nations sent a letter to the president of the UN Security Council Thursday.
- Pak Myong Son Appointed Vice Premier of DPRK Cabinet KCNA 04 Sep 2009 -- Pak Myong Son was appointed as vice premier of the DPRK Cabinet according to a decree of the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly promulgated on Sept. 4.
- S. Korea, U.S. Concerned By North Korean Uranium Announcement VOA 04 Sep 2009 -- DPRK announced new progress in nuclear weapon development, drawing expressions of regret and concern.
- North Korea enters 'final phase of uranium enrichment' RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2009 -- North Korea has begun the final stage of uranium enrichment, a method of producing nuclear weapons.
- U.S. envoy to N.Korea starts out on three-stop Asian tour RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2009 -- Stephen Bosworth due to arrive in Beijing on tour aimed at re-starting negotiations with Pyongyang.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Steel Complex and Fishery Enterprise KCNA 03 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to Steel Complex and Fishery Enterprise.
- U.S. journalists admit entering N.Korea, say detained in China RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2009 -- US journalists, detained by North Korea said border guards apprehended them on the Chinese soil.
- Freed Reporters Describe North Korean Ordeal VOA 02 Sep 2009 -- American reporters who were jailed for illegally entering North Korea have spoken out about their ordeal for the first time.
- South and North Korea reopen military hotline RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2009 -- South and North Korea restarted a joint military hotline on Wednesday more than a year after Pyongyang cut it off.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Work in Various Fields in Counties KCNA 02 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the work in various fields.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Command of KPA Large Combined Unit KCNA 01 Sep 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected the command of KPA Large Combined Unit 264.
- Cargo traffic resumes on North-South Korean border RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2009 -- Border traffic between North and South Korea resumed, following months of heavy restrictions imposed by the North.
- North, South Korea Normalize Cross-Border Traffic VOA 01 Sep 2009 -- South and North Korea have resumed traffic across their tense border to a jointly run industrial zone.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list