Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2019 Cuba Special Weapons News
- Treasury Takes Further Action Regarding Designated Cubametales for Attempting to Circumvent Sanctions US Treasury 26 Nov 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated Cuban company Corporacion Panamericana S.A. pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13850 for being owned or controlled by, or having acted for or on behalf of, Cubametales, an entity designated on July 3, 2019, for operating in the oil sector of the Venezuelan economy.
- US Imposes Sanctions on Cuban Interior Minister in Connection With Venezuela - Pompeo Sputnik 17 Nov 2019 -- Washinton has repeatedly put pressure on Havana for what it sees as ''repression of the Cuban people'', as well as its support for ''the corrupt former Maduro regime in Venezuela''.
- US Expands Sanctions to 5 Sub-Entities Owned by Cuban Military - Pompeo Sputnik 16 Nov 2019 -- The United States has added five sub-entities owned by the Cuban military to its list of entities with which direct financial transactions are forbidden, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on 16 November, as Cuba commemorates Havana's 500th anniversary.
- State Department Updates the Cuba Restricted List US Dept. of State 15 Nov 2019 -- "Today, I am announcing an update to the Cuba Restricted List to add five sub-entities owned by the Cuban military to the list of entities with which direct financial transactions are generally prohibited."
- UN Member States overwhelmingly support end of US embargo against Cuba UN News 07 Nov 2019 -- For the 28th consecutive year, the UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution calling for an end to the economic, commercial and financial embargo imposed by the United States against Cuba.
- World Urges US to Lift its Embargo on Cuba VOA 07 Nov 2019 -- United Nations member states overwhelmingly supported lifting the United States' nearly 60-year-old economic, commercial and financial embargo of Cuba on Thursday, saying it is the main obstacle to the island nation's economic and social development.
- Cuba blasts US 'criminal' sanctions on energy sector Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Cuba has censured the United States for its "criminal" sanctions on the island country's energy sector.
- At UN, Cuba slams US 'criminal' practices undermining country's development UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- At the United Nations General Assembly on Saturday, the Foreign Minister of Cuba condemned the United States for imposing blockades and other "criminal, non-conventional measures" that are hindering his country's progress.
- 'Absolutely Useless': Venezuelan Foreign Minister Slams US Sanctions Against Cuba's Raul Castro Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- On Friday, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza criticized US sanctions on former Cuban leader Raul Castro, who is now serving as the first secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba.
- US issues travel ban on Cuba's Castro over support for Venezuela's Maduro Press TV 27 Sep 2019 -- Washington has imposed US travel sanctions on Cuba's former president, and current Communist Party leader Raul Castro and his family members over his support for Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Public Designation of Raul Castro, Due to Involvement in Gross Violations of Human Rights US Dept. of State 26 Sep 2019 -- The Department is publicly designating Raul Modesto Castro Ruz, the First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Cuban Communist Party and First Secretary of the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces, under Section 7031(c) of the FY 2019 Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, due to his involvement in gross violations of human rights.
- US Imposes Travel Ban on Cuba's Castro, Family for Human Rights Violations VOA 26 Sep 2019 -- The U.S. State Department has designated Cuba's Communist Party leader, Raul Castro, and his immediate family for what Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says is "involvement in gross violations of human rights."
- Cuba slams US expulsion of UN diplomats as 'unjustified' Press TV 20 Sep 2019 -- The government in Havana has denounced as "unjustified" the expulsion of two members of its United Nations mission by the United States over security claims.
- Required Departure of Cuban Diplomats from Cuba's Permanent Mission to the United Nations US Dept. of State 19 Sep 2019 -- The Department of State today notified the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs that the United States requires the imminent departure of two members of Cuba's Permanent Mission to the United Nations for abusing their privileges of residence. This is due to their attempts to conduct influence operations against the United States.
- US Expels 2 Cubans From UN Mission VOA 19 Sep 2019 -- The United States has expelled two members of the Cuban mission to the U.N., accusing them of trying to "conduct influence operations" against the U.S.
- Cuba facing acute fuel shortage due to US sanctions: President Press TV 12 Sep 2019 -- The Cuban president has warned of a looming fuel shortage in the wake of US-imposed sanctions against the Caribbean island country, saying the government in Havana must implement emergency measures to stave off the energy crisis and avoid blackouts in the coming days.
- Cuba Warns Citizens of Looming Energy Crisis VOA 12 Sep 2019 -- Cuba's president says the island is facing an energy crisis due to critical shortages of diesel fuel, which he blames on U.S.-imposed economic sanctions.
- EU vows to help Cuba economy even as US tightens sanctions Press TV 10 Sep 2019 -- The European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini says the 28-nation bloc is committed to helping Cuba develop its economy, even as the United States tightens sanctions on the Communist island.
- Treasury Issues Changes to Strengthen Cuba Sanctions Rules US Treasury 06 Sep 2019 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) amended the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) to further implement President Trump's June 2017 National Security Presidential Memorandum (NSPM) Strengthening the Policy of the United States Towards Cuba.
- US expands list of Cuban companies under sanctions Press TV 27 Jul 2019 -- The US State Department has expanded the list of Cuban companies under sanctions for their alleged links to Cuban military and security forces.
- 'Havana Syndrome:' Scans Show Differences in Affected Diplomat's Brains VOA 23 Jul 2019 -- Brain scans show "significant neuroimaging differences" in 40 U.S. embassy employees affected by mysterious neurological symptoms in Cuba in late 2016, according to a study released Tuesday.
- US Sanctions Cuban Oil, Metals Company Cubametales for Links to Venezuela - Treasury Sputnik 03 Jul 2019 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on Cuba's oil and metals company Cubametales for its links to Venezuela, the US Department of the Treasury said in a press release.
- The United States Curtails Cuban Support for Illegitimate Former Maduro Regime US Dept. of State 03 Jul 2019 -- Today, the United States removed sanctions on oil shipping company PB Tankers in response to actions it has taken to ensure that its vessels no longer were complicit in supporting the former Maduro regime. Additionally, the United States designated Cubametales, the Cuban state-run company and primary facilitator of oil imports from Venezuela, for circumventing U.S. sanctions.
- Treasury Targets Cuban Support for the Illegitimate Venezuelan Regime US Treasury 03 Jul 2019 -- "Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated Cubametales, the Cuban state-run oil import and export company, for its continued importation of oil from Venezuela. Cuba, in exchange for this oil, continues to provide support, including defense, intelligence, and security assistance, to the illegitimate regime of former President Nicolas Maduro."
- US Hits Cuba With Sanctions in New Move Against Venezuela's Maduro VOA 03 Jul 2019 -- The U.S. is sanctioning a Cuban business for importing Venezuelan oil as part of America's ongoing effort to force the South American country's president, Nicolas Maduro, from power.
- Saudi Arabia, Cuba Among World's Worst in Fighting Human Trafficking, US Says VOA 20 Jun 2019 -- Saudi Arabia and Cuba are now on a list of countries the United States considers derelict in their responsibilities to combat human trafficking, raising the risk of sanctions against those countries.
- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Pledges Moscow's Support to Cuba Amid US Sanctions Sputnik 05 Jun 2019 -- Moscow sees Havana as its "pivotal" ally in Latin America and will make every effort to support Cuba amid US sanctions pressure, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov said at a meeting with his Cuban counterpart, Ricardo Cabrisas.
- Treasury and Commerce Implement Changes to Cuba Sanctions Rules US Treasury 04 Jun 2019 -- "Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) unveiled amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) to further implement the President's foreign policy on Cuba. These amendments complement changes to the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Export Administration Regulations (EAR), which Commerce is also unveiling today."
- US Imposes New Restrictions on Travel to Cuba VOA 04 Jun 2019 -- The U.S. Treasury Department has tightened restrictions on travel to Cuba in retaliation to the country's "destabilizing role" in the western hemispheric region.
- Trump Warns Cuba on Venezuela VOA 30 Apr 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is threatening Cuba with "full and complete embargo" of the island and the "highest-level sanctions" if the communist government does not immediately cease military and other support for Venezuela.
- Cuban leader rebuffs US allegation of military role in Venezuela Global Times 30 Apr 2019 -- Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel on Monday dismissed recent US allegations that Cuba is aiding embattled Venezuela with military troops.
- UK condemns US move to sue foreign companies over Cuba sanctions Press TV 19 Apr 2019 -- Britain has condemned the new attempt by the administration of US President Donald Trump to require foreign companies to abide by American sanctions on Cuba that have been rejected by the UK and other European countries.
- EU, Canada vow to fight new US sanctions on Cuba Press TV 18 Apr 2019 -- The European Union and Canada have warned of reprisals after the United States for the first time allowed lawsuits against foreign companies operating in Cuba, including EU and Canadian firms.
- US administration unveils new sanctions to pressure Cuba, Venezuela Press TV 17 Apr 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton has announced a series of new sanctions against Cuba and Venezuela as the Donald Trump administration is seeking to boost pressure on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and the countries that support him.
- Trump Administration Restricts Remittances, Travel to Cuba VOA 17 Apr 2019 -- The Trump administration is imposing new restrictions on Cuba aimed at punishing the regime for its support of the Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- The United States Takes Action To End Cuba's Malign Influence on Venezuela US Dept. of State 12 Apr 2019 -- Today, the United States sanctioned four companies for operating in the oil sector of the Venezuelan economy and identified nine vessels as blocked property, pursuant to Executive Order 13850. These actions are a follow-on to the designations announced on April 5, which targeted entities and vessels known to be involved in the transportation of crude oil from Venezuela to Cuba.
- Treasury Increases Pressure on Cuba to End Support to Maduro by Imposing Further Oil Sector Sanctions US Treasury 12 Apr 2019 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated four companies that operate in the oil sector of the Venezuelan economy, pursuant to E.O. 13850, as amended. Additionally, OFAC identified nine vessels, some of which transported oil from Venezuela to Cuba, as blocked property owned by the four companies.
- US slaps sanctions on 4 shipping firms, 9 ships for Venezuela ties Press TV 12 Apr 2019 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on four shipping companies and nine ships transporting oil from Venezuela.
- Castro: Cuba won't abandon Venezuela despite US blackmail Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- Cuban Communist Party leader Raul Castro says his country will never cease supporting its ally Venezuela under pressure by the United States, which has threatened Havana with more sanctions over its support of the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Venezuelan FM: Caracas to Fulfill Cuba Oil Obligations Despite US Sanctions Sputnik 09 Apr 2019 -- Venezuela will fulfill its obligations on oil deliveries to Cuba despite the new US sanctions, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza said on Monday.
- Pence announces sanctions on Venezuela oil vessels, Cuba shippers Press TV 06 Apr 2019 -- The United States announces sanctions on 34 vessels of Venezuela's state oil company and two companies that ship crude to Cuba.
- Cuban President Slams New US Sanctions on Venezuela as 'Act of Interference' Sputnik 06 Apr 2019 -- Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel on Saturday strongly condemned Washington's new round of sanctions targeting vessels and companies linked to Venezuela's oil giant PDVSA.
- The United States Sanctions Companies Enabling Shipment of Venezuelan Oil to Cuba US Dept. of State 05 Apr 2019 -- Today, the United States sanctioned two companies, Ballito Bay Shipping Inc. and ProPer in Management Inc., operating in Venezuela's oil sector and the vessel Despina Andrianna used to transport oil to Cuba.
- Treasury Sanctions Companies Operating in the Oil Sector of the Venezuelan Economy and Transporting Oil to Cuba US Treasury 05 Apr 2019 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated two companies operating in the oil sector of the Venezuelan economy, pursuant to E.O. 13850, as amended. Additionally, OFAC identified one vessel, which transported oil from Venezuela to Cuba, as blocked property that is owned by one of these companies.
- US Places New Sanctions on Venezuelan Oil Company VOA 05 Apr 2019 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence announced new sanctions Friday on 34 vessels of Venezuela's state oil company and two companies that ship crude oil to Cuba.
- Russia cements Cuba ties with aviation fleet overhaul Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Russia says it will help Cuba overhaul its flag carrier, Cubana de Aviacion, which is hardly hit by persisting US economic sanctions against the Caribbean island country.
- Secretary's Determination of 45-Day Suspension Under Title III of LIBERTAD Act US Dept. of State 16 Jan 2019 -- The Secretary of State reported on January 16, 2019, to the appropriate Congressional committees that, consistent with section 306(c)(2) of the Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity (LIBERTAD) Act of 1996 (22 U.S.C. 6021 - 6091) and the authority delegated to the Secretary by the President on January 31, 2013, the Secretary made a determination to suspend for forty-five days beyond February 1, 2019, the right to bring an action under Title III of the Act.
- Castro castigates US for 'return to confrontation' with Cuba Press TV 02 Jan 2019 -- Cuba's Communist Party leader Raul Castro has slammed the administration of US President Donald Trump for resorting back to hostile policies toward the Caribbean nation as well as meddling in Latin America.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list