2007 Cuba Special Weapons News
- Castro Hints at Retiring from Cuban Leadership VOA 18 Dec 2007 -- Ailing Cuban leader Fidel Castro said in a letter read on national television he does not want to stay in power forever, suggesting he may retire from leadership
- Fidel Castro Nominated for Re-Election VOA 02 Dec 2007 -- Ailing Cuban leader Fidel Castro has been nominated as a candidate for the National Assembly, paving the way for him to remain head of state.
- Cuba Concludes Five Days of Military Exercises VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- Cuba has completed five days of military exercises in preparation for what it says is a possible attack by the United States.
- Aiding Cuban People Part of U.S. Support for Democracy Worldwide Washington File 24 Oct 2007 -- The United States is initiating additional measures to speed a transition to democracy in Cuba as part of the American effort to back democratic change worldwide.
- Bush Wants Freedom Fund for Cuba VOA 24 Oct 2007 -- President Bush says Cuba's leaders are more concerned with keeping power than with improving the lives of their people
- Bush Speech Gets Mixed Review From Cuban Exiles VOA 24 Oct 2007 -- Cuban exiles in the Unites States have welcomed President Bush's speech about Cuba in which he voiced support for pro-democracy efforts
- Cuba takes delivery of first Russian-made cargo airplane RIA Novosti 03 Aug 2007 -- Russia's Ulyanovsk-based Aviastar-SP has delivered the first of four Tu-204SE transport airplanes it is building for Cuba's flagship carrier, Cubana de Aviacion, the company said Friday.
- Castro Says He Is 'Very Involved' in Running Cuba VOA 01 Aug 2007 -- Ailing Cuban leader Fidel Castro says he is still very much involved in government affairs.
- One Year After Handover, Castros Retain Hold in Cuba VOA 31 Jul 2007 -- One year ago, an illness forced Cuban leader Fidel Castro to hand over power to his brother, Raul, ending his 47-year hold on the presidency
- Raul Castro Leads Cuba's Revolution Day Celebrations VOA 26 Jul 2007 -- Cuba's acting president, Raul Castro, Thursday led celebrations marking a 1953 rebel attack that helped launch the Cuban revolution.
- Castro Writes About US Assassination Attempt VOA 08 Jul 2007 -- Cuban leader Fidel Castro has published an essay that includes comments about what he says was a U.S. attempt to assassinate him in 1961.
- Venezuela, Cuba Criticize US Over Release of Carriles VOA 10 May 2007 -- Venezuela and Cuba have accused the United States of harboring a terrorist after a U.S. federal judge dropped immigration fraud charges against Cuban-born former CIA operative Luis Posada Carriles.
- Cuba's Castro Says He is Recovering VOA 28 Feb 2007 -- Cuban President Fidel Castro, who has not appeared in public since undergoing intestinal surgery last year, says he is recovering and feeling stronger.
- US Official: No Plans to Scrap Cuba Embargo VOA 21 Feb 2007 -- The Bush administration is defending the U.S. economic embargo of Cuba, despite the transfer of executive power on the island from ailing president Fidel Castro to his brother, Raul
- Cuban TV Shows Ailing Castro for First Time in 3 Months VOA 31 Jan 2007 -- Cuba's state television has broadcast the first images in three months of ailing President Fidel Castro.
- Report: Castro Opted for Risky Surgery That Led to Serious Complications VOA 17 Jan 2007 -- A Spanish newspaper says Cuban President Fidel Castro opted for a risky surgery that led to serious complications and further surgeries.
- Cuba's Castro Reportedly Faces 'Grave' Prognosis VOA 16 Jan 2007 -- Cuban leader Fidel Castro is reported to be in very serious condition after a series of three failed operations and complications from an intestinal infection.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|