Castro Says He Is 'Very Involved' in Running Cuba
01 August 2007
Ailing Cuban leader Fidel Castro says he is still very much involved in government affairs.
Mr. Castro said Wednesday, that during his recovery from intestinal surgery, he has been consulted on every important government move. His statement was published in the state-run newspaper, Granma, one year after the 80-year-old leader temporarily ceded power to his younger brother, Raul.
Fidel Castro said he will fight on as he has done all his life, but he did not say if he plans to return to power.
His statement urges Cuba's communist leaders to ready the country's defense against a possible invasion. It also advises against negotiation with the United States.
Fidel Castro has not been seen in public since his operation, and the condition of his health remains a state secret.
Cuban television has occasionally broadcast images of him meeting with international officials, and editorials in his name have appeared periodically in state media.
Raul Castro said last week that Cuba suffered a serious blow when his brother became ill, but that the country did not descend into chaos. Fidel Castro came to power in a 1959 revolution.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|