Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 December 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Upcoming travel rush highlights urgency of ramping up Chinese rural areas' preparedness for COVID-19 surge Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- China announced plans to scrap the national COVID-19 tracking code starting from Tuesday, a move that will further boost domestic travel after the country optimized its COVID-19 response last week. This move, along with the upcoming Chinese New Year, highlighted the urgency of ramping up rural areas' preparedness for COVID-19 outbreaks, said epidemiologists.
- Beijing combats medicine supply shortage after surge in number of flu-like patients Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- Beijing on Monday said the city's medicine supplies have faced great pressure at short notice, as the capital's second-class hospitals reported 19,000 patients with flu-like symptoms last week, 6.2 times higher than in the previous week.
- COVID-19 trace tracking system 'itinerary code' terminates service, drawing to close of pandemic-related controls Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- The itinerary code, which people in China use in the course of everyday life tied to travel risks to move around different localities for almost three years since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, will be removed starting Tuesday, marking the Chinese society a step further toward end of COVID-related controls.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,171 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 2,171 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Beijing records surge in flights amid COVID-19 policy adjustments People's Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- The Chinese capital Beijing has reported a surge in the number of flights recently after the country fine-tuned its COVID-19 response.
- Top epidemiologist urges intensified COVID-19 vaccine booster drive People's Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- China's leading epidemiologist Zhong Nanshan has urged a scale-up in vaccination efforts to inoculate more people with COVID-19 vaccine booster shots, especially with the Spring Festival travel rush coming soon.
- China denounces senior Japanese official's Taiwan visit; 'irrational move to undermine stability in Straits' Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- China on Monday expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to the visit of a senior official of Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) to Taiwan island and his irresponsible remarks on China during the visit, which came amid Japan's recent actions to expand its military, citing the so-called China threat as an excuse.
- Multiple Indian, Chinese Troops Reportedly Injured in Flare-up of Fighting in Disputed Zone Sputnik 12 Dec 2022 -- India and China dispute the demarcation along much of their nearly 3,500 km shared border, and even fought a brief but deadly border war in late 1962.
- Ashes of Jiang Zemin scattered into the sea People's Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- The ashes of beloved Comrade Jiang Zemin were scattered into the sea at the estuary of the Yangtze River on Sunday, in accordance with the wishes of Jiang himself and his family.
- Warplanes of PLA Air Force, Navy share airfield in joint exercise Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently organized a joint exercise in which warplanes of the Air Force and the Navy used the same airfield and received ground maintenance, a method analysts said on Monday reflects the PLA's high level of cross-service support in joint operations and will provide tactical advantages in combat.
- Chinese peacekeeping multi-role engineer contingent to Lebanon completes Angel Rescue exercise PLA Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- The 21st Chinese peacekeeping multi-role engineer contingent to Lebanon successfully completed the Angel Rescue exercise organized by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) on December 8 local time.
- China Coast Guard holds talks with maritime law enforcement agencies from Indonesia, Philippines and Cambodia PLA Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- Director of the China Coast Guard (CCG) Major General Yu Zhong held talks with Commander of the Indonesian Coast Guard Vice Admiral Aan Kurnia, Officer-in-Charge of the Philippine Coast Guard Vice Admiral Rolando Lizor Punzalan Jr, and Deputy Secretary General of the National Committee for Maritime Security of Cambodia Vice Admiral Kruoch Kimthon respectively during the "Vietnam Coast Guard and Friends" exchange activity held in Hanoi on December 9.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 12, 2022 PRC MofA 12 Dec 2022
- GCC countries, Iran all China's friends; neither China-GCC nor China-Iran ties target any third party: FM Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- The GCC countries and Iran are all China's friends, and neither China-GCC relations nor China-Iran relations are targeted at any third party. China supports the GCC countries in improving relations with Iran based on theâ€‚principle of good-neighborly friendship,â€‚conducting win-win cooperation with Iran and jointly promoting the development and stability in the Persian Gulf. China is willing toâ€‚continue toâ€‚play a constructive role in this regard, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin said at Monday's press briefing.
- China's relations with GCC, Iran never target any third party: Foreign Ministry spox Press TV 12 Dec 2022 -- China has reaffirmed its traditional friendly relations with Iran, saying Beijing's ties with Tehran and its relations with the member states of the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) do not target any third party.
- China-Arab ties open a new chapter; influence profound Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday concluded his Saudi Arabia trip, his first to the Middle East region after the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, which was also an unprecedented diplomatic event with the Arab world. The trip has not only yielded fruitful results in economic and trade sense, but also demonstrated that in addition to continuing to play the role of a contributor to regional development, China will also increasingly contribute to peace in the strategically important Middle East, experts noted.
- Xi's trip to Middle East significant to promoting peace, cooperation People's Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping returned to China on Saturday after attending the first China-Arab States Summit and the China-Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Summit and wrapping up a state visit to Saudi Arabia.
- Iran hails China ties, blasts meddlesome GCC statement Press TV 12 Dec 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kan'ani has hailed developing China-Iran relations and censured a joint statement that the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) issued recently in the presence of a Chinese official, stressing that interference in Iranian internal affairs is rejected.
- Pakistan 'Most Exposed' to Chinese Influence, New Research Shows VOA 12 Dec 2022 -- A new study on China's global influence puts Pakistan at the top of the list.
- Hong Kong media mogul Jimmy Lai's sentence casts chill over relaunch, analysts say Radio Free Asia 12 Dec 2022 -- The sentencing of Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai to five years and nine months in jail for fraud over the weekend is a further blow to attempts to restore the city's reputation as a financial and business hub, analysts told Radio Free Asia.
- Hong Kong youth 'key targets' for national security education Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- In his first policy address delivered in October, Hong Kong's Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu highlighted the importance of advancing national security education in Hong Kong. Recently, the National Security Education Centre of the International Probono Legal Services Association (IPLSA), a non-profit organization registered in Hong Kong, launched a national security education instructor training program, and more than 100 people have obtained the qualifications to become instructors who will teach national security knowledge in Hong Kong's primary and middle schools as well as in other institutions.
- China pulls off new record in grain output, expected to remain cornerstone of global food security Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- China pulled off a new record in grain output in 2022, official data showed on Monday, defying the uncooperative weather at home and the ripples of the Ukraine crisis.
- China's 2022 grain production new record high, exceeding 650b kg mark for eight consecutive years Global Times 12 Dec 2022 -- China's grain output in 2022 hit a new record high, the country's National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said on Monday, with a slight increase of 0.5 percent over 2021's figures.
- Cities unveil policies to stimulate economic recovery People's Daily 12 Dec 2022 -- Several Chinese cities are introducing concrete steps to stimulate consumption and maintain stable economic growth amid optimization of the country's COVID-19 rules in recent weeks.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list