Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 November 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Xinjiang party secretary visits areas where COVID lockdown protests occurred Radio Free Asia 07 Nov 2022 -- Xinjiang's Communist Party secretary on Monday visited districts in the capital Urumqi in northwestern China where rare protests against severe coronavirus lockdown measures occurred last week.
- Lithuanian trade office officially begins operations in Taipei CNA 07 Nov 2022 -- The Lithuanian government on Monday announced that its trade office in Taiwan has officially begun operations, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
- U.K. Trade Policy Minister set to visit Taiwan for annual trade talks CNA 07 Nov 2022 -- U.K. Trade Policy Minister Greg Hands will visit Taiwan from Monday to Tuesday for the first in-person government-level U.K.-Taiwan talks held since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- China denounces British trade minister's planned visit to Taiwan Press TV 07 Nov 2022 -- China has denounced the British trade minister's planned visit to Taiwan, insisting that the UK must stop any form of official exchanges with the self-ruled island.
- Beijing Urges London to Respect One-China Principle, Stop Official Contacts With Taipei Sputnik 07 Nov 2022 -- China is urging the United Kingdom to abide by the One-China principle, cease all forms of official contact with Taiwan and stop sending false signals to pro-independence separatist forces on the island, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Monday.
- Caihong UAVs make changes to serve more missions in modern warfare Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- With Airshow China 2022 in Zhuhai, East China's Guangdong Province, about to start on Tuesday, exhibitors worldwide have displayed their new products in the exhibition hall, and due to the performance of military drones in ongoing military conflicts worldwide, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) have become a hot topic at the airshow, with Chinese manufacturers displaying multiple types of advanced drones.
- Exclusive: China's new loyal wingman drone to greatly change air combat: designer Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- China's FH-97A loyal wingman, a type of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that can accompany manned aircraft and provide it with intelligence, information and firepower support, made its debut at the Airshow China 2022 held in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province in early November, with its chief designer saying that this new technology is expected to greatly change conventional air combat.
- Intelligent marine equipment shines in Airshow China, helps safeguard China's maritime security Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- Various types of marine equipment, especially intelligent unmanned high-speed vessels, which are playing an important role in safeguarding the country's maritime security and scientific research, are one of the highlights of this year's Airshow China, scheduled to be held from November 8 to 13.
- China's J-20 fighter jet to keep receiving upgrades: designer Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- China will continue to upgrade the J-20 stealth fighter jet, including deploying the latest artificial intelligence (AI) and cognitive technologies, to make it perform at its best in a combat system, announced the aircraft's chief designer, who also said that the country's warplane makers are well aware of what military enthusiasts want to see.
- PLA Air Force unveils equipment lineup at Airshow China 2022 PLA Daily 07 Nov 2022 -- The 14th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition, or Airshow China 2022, is to be held from November 8 to 13 in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province. Senior Colonel Shen Jinke, spokesperson for the PLA Air Force, introduced on November 6 that about 50 types of weapons and equipment including J-20, Y-20, and KJ-500, H-6K and HQ-9B will be displayed, among which YY-20, J-16 and GJ-2 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) will make their first public flights in the airshow. All of them will show the historical achievements of the PLA Air Force in the past decade of the new era and the phased results of the modernized strategic air force construction.
- The PLA's Z-20 helicopter arrives in Zhuhai for Airshow China 2022 PLA Daily 07 Nov 2022 -- The Zhi-20 (Z-20) helicopter, one of China's "20 series" military aircraft, arrived at the Zhuhai Jinwan Airport in south China's Guangdong Province on Monday, according to China Media Group (CMG).
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping rekindles official fervor for Communist Party 'holy' sites Radio Free Asia 07 Nov 2022 -- Chinese leader Xi Jinping kicks off his third term in office with official visits to several of the Communist Party's "holy places," sparking a slew of copycat visits from lower-ranking officials.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on November 7, 2022 PRC MofA 07 Nov 2022
- Former U.S. Military Pilot Sentenced for Acting as Paid Agent of the Government of the People's Republic of China and Lying on National Security Background Forms US Dept. of Justice 07 Nov 2022 -- Former U.S. Army helicopter pilot-turned-civilian-contractor Shapour Moinian, 67, of San Diego, was sentenced in federal court today to 20 months in prison for acting as an agent of the government of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and accepting thousands of dollars from representatives of the Chinese government to provide aviation-related information from his defense-contractor employers.
- International concern grows over Chinese 'police service stations' Radio Free Asia 07 Nov 2022 -- More governments in Europe and the Americas have launched their own investigations into alleged Chinese secret police stations identified by a human rights group, with Germany and Chile looking into the reports and France "monitoring."
- China blasts US coercion of Japan, Netherlands over chip ban, urges countries to make correct judgements Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry on Monday blasted the reported US move of trying to coerce Japan and the Netherlands to follow its path in banning chip technology to China, while calling on relevant countries to make correct judgements based on their own interests and those of the international community.
- China's ambassador warns Swiss 'relations will suffer' if it adopts EU sanctions Press TV 07 Nov 2022 -- Chinese ambassador to Switzerland has cautioned Bern against following the European Union in imposing sanctions on Beijing if it cares about Swiss-Sino relations.
- India prohibits Chinese research vessel from entering economic zone, 'will harm rebuilding of trust': experts Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- The Indian Navy is reportedly planning to stop China's Yuan Wang 6, a research and survey vessel, from entering the country's Exclusive Economic Zone, claiming that the vessel is a "spy ship" sent to the Indian Ocean Region to track India's missile tests. The move is seen by experts as hindering the rebuilding of mutual trust after years of standoff in the countries' border regions.
- Hong Kong court rejects appeal of award-winning reporter Radio Free Asia 07 Nov 2022 -- A court in Hong Kong on Monday rejected an appeal by journalist Bao Choy of her conviction for "making false statements" to obtain information for a report about a mob attack on pro-democracy protesters during city-wide unrest in 2019.
- China's cyberspace whitepaper highlights cooperation, 'fundamentally different' from US' proposition Global Times 07 Nov 2022 -- China's State Council Information Office issued a white paper titled "Jointly Build a Community with a Shared Future in Cyberspace," which is fundamentally different from the US' earlier release "Declaration for the Future of the Internet," as China advocates that cyberspace is the common home of humankind instead of creating division and confrontation by ideology.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list