Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 April 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai at crucial stage toward zero-COVID goal in communities Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Chinese officials have sought to dispel growing misconceptions and speculations about the country's dynamic zero-COVID strategy and reaffirmed their confidence in what has been widely considered to be the best strategy still to both contain the epidemic and ensure stable economic development, as the battle against the outbreak in Shanghai shows some positive signs and the city is at a crucial stage to bring community transmission down to zero.
- Talks of HK-mainland border reopening regain momentum amid fall in cases in HK Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- As the epidemic situation in Hong Kong begins to ease, elementary schools in the territory began to resume offline classes, while talk of reopening the border between Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland is gaining momentum.
- Shanghai improves mechanism to welcome recovered COVID-19 patients back home Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai communities are improving their mechanisms and environments to welcome recovered COVID-19 patients back home amid public concerns over re-infection, virus transmission and discrimination against this group, after more than 23,000 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals or released from medical observation on Monday, with the number surpassing that of newly infected persons in the city.
- 10 deaths in Shanghai spark concern over vaccination rate among elderly group Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Ten deaths of COVID-19 patients in Shanghai in the past two days are sounding alarms in the city, which has a relatively low vaccination rates among provincial-level regions in the Chinese mainland. For the country at large, it is also a strong reminder that the insufficient vaccination rate among the elderly is a towering obstacle to China's move to ease COVID-19 restrictions, said epidemiologists.
- 497,214 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases reported in Chinese mainland since March Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- China's top health authority announced on Tuesday that a total of 497,214 locally transmitted cases have been reported in the Chinese mainland since March, affecting all provinces except Xizang autonomous region.
- Shanghai reports seven more COVID-19 patient deaths in latest Omicron outbreak; death tally reaches 10 Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai on Tuesday reported seven more COVID-19 patient deaths all involving elderly people who haven't received COVID-19 vaccines, making the total number up to 10 amid this around of Omicron outbreak, according to the Shanghai health authorities.
- 1,912 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- A total of 1,912 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Monday, the National Health Commission said in its Tuesday report.
- Chinese mainland reports 3,297 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Monday reported 3,297 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 3,084 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Tuesday.
- Shanghai: 3,084 local confirmed, 17,332 asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- China's economic hub Shanghai reported 3,084 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 17,332 local asymptomatic carriers on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- Shanghai police warn bereaved families of elderly COVID-19 patients not to speak out Radio Free Asia 19 Apr 2022 -- Authorities in Shanghai are warning the families of elderly people who have died of COVID-19 not to talk to the media, as the omicron outbreak rips through at least one hospital in the city, causing an unknown number of deaths.
- Dynamic zero-COVID policy is the best option currently: chief epidemiologist of China's CDC Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Given the recent complex epidemic situation in China and that some people are less confident in the dynamic zero-COVID policy and confuse "dynamic zero" with "zero infection," Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, detailed in his latest article the basic principles of the roles that the policy plays in epidemic prevention to avoid misunderstandings among the public.
- Update: Over 20 regions under static management to fight Omicron flare-ups, affecting about 50 million people Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Over 20 cities or regions across China - collectively home to about 50 million residents - are currently under static management to fight sweeping Omicron flare-ups. Chinese health experts said static management policy is necessary for the country to win the fight against the fast-transmitting Omicron within the dynamic zero-COVID strategy.
- Children urged to get timely vaccination for COVID-19: health official People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- Sophia Chan, secretary for Food and Health of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government, Monday urged parents to arrange for their children aged three or above to get vaccinated for COVID-19 in time to reduce the risk of serious illness or death if they got infected with the virus.
- China's Jilin City clears COVID-19 high-risk areas People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- The city of Jilin in northeast China's Jilin Province has cleared all areas classified as high risk for COVID-19 as of 8 p.m. Monday, the city's health commission has said.
- Week of virus tests underway in Shanghai People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai is expected to complete weeklong screening tests by Thursday in its effort to realize zero COVID-19 transmission in communities, the municipal government said on Monday.
- DPP cannot escape 'iron law of destruction' despite begging for mercy from external forces: Taiwan Affairs Office Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Responding to the Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority leaders who are using the Ukraine situation to beg for mercy from external forces and smear the Chinese mainland, the Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council said on Monday that "no matter how secessionists collude with external forces to seek their 'independence,' it is hard to escape the iron law of history of disruption, failure, and eventually, destruction."
- China Signs Security Agreement with Solomon Islands VOA 19 Apr 2022 -- China says it has signed a security pact with the Solomon Islands that has raised concerns among Australia and the United States of a growing Chinese influence in the South Pacific.
- Why Are Solomon Islands Newest Battleground in US-China Geopolitics? VOA 19 Apr 2022 -- The United States says it is aware of China's announcement that it has signed a security agreement with the Solomon Islands, renewing concerns that the deal opens the door for the deployment of Chinese military forces to the Pacific island nation.
- Chinese FM confirmed that China and the Solomon Islands have formally signed the security cooperation framework agreement Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- Chinese FM confirmed that China and the Solomon Islands have formally signed the security cooperation framework agreement
- Pacific Island states are neither someone's backyard nor pawns in geopolitical confrontation: Chinese FM Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- "Why does the US bother to visit an island country where its embassy has been shut down for 29 years? To care about the country's development status or try to achieve other purposes?" Spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry asked the US after the country sent senior officials to the Solomon Islands and discuss issues involving China.
- US' high-level visit to Solomon Islands aims to nullify China security pact, uses region as hegemonic fulcrum Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- After Australia failed to sway the Solomon Islands to thwart the security agreement with China, senior US officials plan to travel to the country this week in an attempt to nullify the a
- Experts: China Deploying J-20 Fighters in Asia to Counter US F-35s VOA 19 Apr 2022 -- China has deployed its premier fighter jets over its nearby seas to counter mounting U.S. military involvement in Asia, analysts say.
- lready signed security pact, which will be a rare high-level visit with pressure by the superpower.
- Dalai Lama to visit Ladakh in first trip since pandemic's start Radio Free Asia 19 Apr 2022 -- Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama will visit India's northwestern territory of Ladakh later this year in his first trip away from his residence since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic two years ago, sources said this week.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on April 19, 2022 PRC MofA 19 Apr 2022
- China vows to strengthen strategic coordination with Russia amid Ukraine war Press TV 19 Apr 2022 -- China has vowed to continue its strategic coordination with Russia, which has been under mounting Western pressure since it launched a military operation in Ukraine two months ago.
- Veteran Chinese envoy heads CEEC visit, to clarify misunderstanding over Ukraine Global Times 19 Apr 2022 -- A Chinese delegation led by a veteran diplomat will visit eight Central and Eastern European Countries (CEEC) this week. Analysts said that the trip aims to further promote cooperation as this year marks the 10th anniversary of the China-CEEC mechanism, and to dismiss misunderstandings, especially over China's stance on the Ukraine crisis.
- John Lee validly nominated for HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive election People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- The Candidate Eligibility Review Committee (CERC) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Monday published a notice in the Gazette to declare the nomination of John Lee, former chief secretary for administration of the HKSAR government, for the HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive election as valid.
- Hong Kong says voters only have one option in 'elections' for city's next leader Radio Free Asia 19 Apr 2022 -- The Hong Kong government on Monday said only one valid candidate has been approved to run in a forthcoming "election" for the city's top job, naming former police officer and security chief John Lee.
- Hong Kong Authorities 'Brainwashing' Convicted Pro-Democracy Activists VOA 19 Apr 2022 -- The Hong Kong Correctional Services Department is using "brainwashing" measures to "deradicalize" jailed pro-democracy protesters there, two former inmates who were activists told VOA Cantonese.
- Hong Kong Arrest Signals 'Erosion of Press Freedom' VOA 19 Apr 2022 -- The arrest in Hong Kong of a journalism professor has disturbed academics and journalists alike.
- New unit with China's Hualong One reactor starts operation People's Daily 19 Apr 2022 -- A new nuclear power unit in Pakistan powered by the Hualong One reactor, the China-developed third-generation nuclear reactor, has started commercial operation, the China National Nuclear Corporation said Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list