Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Border cities put under lockdown, penalties more stringent amid new COVID-19 spike Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- As the new wave of COVID-19 continues to ravage the nation with more than 300 confirmed local cases registered by Thursday, China has rolled out anti-epidemic measures that are being imposed more promptly and stringently than previous moves, putting at least three cities in lockdown and implementing stricter penalties for people obstructing related work.
- Beijing mandates COVID-19 booster shots in services sectors and for construction workers Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Beijing, the capital city, has vowed to promote booster shots of COVID-19 vaccines among construction workers and people in the services sector, such as chefs, purchasers, attendants, cleaners and security guards, and booster shots will be made mandatory for personnel in high-risk key positions.
- China-Russia border city in lockdown after new COVID-19 reports Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Another major port city in Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, Heihe, bordering Russia in the north, was urgently put under a citywide lockdown on Thursday after one confirmed COVID-19 case was found. It is the third city that has imposed such rules in the latest rebound of the epidemic in China, following China-Mongolia border city Ejin Banner and Northwest China's transport hub Lanzhou.
- Hong Kong reports 2 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported Thursday two new imported cases of COVID-19, taking the tally in the financial hub to 12,337.
- Over 2.254 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- More than 2.254 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Wednesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Thursday.
- China's Gansu continues mass COVID-19 testing People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- In view of the recent COVID-19 outbreaks, northwest China's Gansu Province has initiated the fourth round of nucleic acid testing in the provincial capital of Lanzhou.
- Inner Mongolia county reports three new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- Ejina Banner, a county in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, reported three new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, lifting the total confirmed cases to 92.
- Iran receives 32nd cargo of COVID-19 vaccine IRNA 28 Oct 2021 -- The 32nd cargo of coronavirus vaccine consisting of six million doses of Sinopharm products was delivered to Iran on Thursday.
- India Slams New Chinese Land Border Law VOA 28 Oct 2021 -- Although it has expressed concern over a new land boundary law passed by China, India has said it expects that Beijing will not take action that could "unilaterally" alter the situation in the countries' border areas.
- India overreacts, makes 'unreasonable' announcement on China's land border law: Chinese lawmakers Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- India overreacted and made an unreasonable announcement against China's newly adopted land border legislation, as the law is not targeted at the China-India border dispute and in line with international law, legislators told the Global Times, warning India that its paranoia and overgeneralizing the new law could set negotiations between the two countries back.
- Chinese Premier calls for maintaining peace, stability in South China Sea People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Wednesday said that maintaining peace, stability and the freedom of navigation and overflight in the South China Sea serves the common interests of all parties.
- Wang Yi calls for coordinated action to expand economic exchanges with Afghanistan Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi has called on countries neighboring Afghanistan to take coordinated action to expand economic and trade exchanges with the country, stressing that more multilateral coordination and efforts are needed to help stabilize Afghanistan.
- Report: China to build base for Tajikistan forces near Afghan border Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- China will finance the construction of an outpost for a special forces unit of Tajikistan's police near the Tajik-Afghan border, a report says.
- Tsai confirms U.S. troop presence, expresses faith in Biden defense vow CNA 28 Oct 2021 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) confirmed for the first time the presence of U.S. military personnel in Taiwan, during an interview with CNN released Thursday.
- Chinese Taipei confirms presence of US troops Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- Chinese Taipei's president Tsai Ing-wen has confirmed that a small number of American forces are stationed in the self-ruled island to purportedly train soldiers.
- Taiwan's president confirms US military presence, expects support in case of war Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2021 -- Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen has confirmed that U.S. military personnel are currently on the democratic island as part of "military exchanges," as she said the country's 23 million residents wouldn't "bow to pressure" in the face of the growing military threat from China.
- Redline: US troops must not station in Taiwan: Global Times editorial Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- In an interview with CNN, the leader of the Taiwan region, Tsai Ing-wen, admitted the presence of US military trainers on the island for the first time. She claimed that US military personnel in Taiwan are "not as many as people thought," while emphasizing that the island has "a wide range of cooperation with the US aiming at increasing our defense capability."
- Tsai confirms US military presence in Taiwan, 'to face consequences for breaking red line' Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- In a recent interview with CNN published on Thursday, Taiwan's regional leader Tsai Ing-wen confirmed for the first time that US troops are present on the island.
- Tsai shows off US military presence in Taiwan,'will be punished evetually' Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- In a recent interview with CNN published on Thursday, Taiwan's regional leader Tsai Ing-wen confirmed for the first time that US troops are present on the island for "training purposes." Experts said that this provocative announcement is for Taiwan secessionists to show off that they have got "protection" from the US, but in fact, there is no chance for them to escape punishment.
- Containing "Taiwan independence" precondition of ensuring peace across Strait: spokesperson People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- Only when the provocative moves seeking "Taiwan independence" are curbed can the peace across the Taiwan Strait be guaranteed and the cross-Strait relations return to the right track, a Chinese mainland spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- Commentary: One-China principle non-negotiable People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- Washington has recently been seeking every possible opportunity to blatantly challenge the one-China principle. The latest political stunt is shouting support for the Taiwan region's participation in the United Nations (UN) system.
- Commentary: Washington should stop playing with fire on Taiwan People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken's clamor for Taiwan's "robust, meaningful participation throughout the United Nations system has once again crossed China's red line over the Taiwan question.
- US ties with Taiwan region harm China-US military relations: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- "China strongly opposes any official contacts and military ties between the US and China's Taiwan region. Any attempt to obstruct national reunification and rejuvenation by slavishly soliciting and depending on foreign support is doomed to fail," said a Chinese defense spokesperson at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- Chinese Military on Target to Surpass US, Russia VOA 28 Oct 2021 -- It is only a matter of time before China's plan to replace the United States as the world's preeminent military becomes reality, a top U.S. general warned, calling on the Washington and its allies to speed efforts to counter Beijing's bid for dominance.
- Twin-seat J-20 stealth fighter jet spotted, extra pilot 'to give advantage' Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Photos and videos that give the world the first glimpse of the long-rumored twin-seat variant of China's J-20 stealth fighter jet circulated on social media this week, leading foreign media outlets to say that the aircraft is the world's first stealth fighter jet with two seats.
- China-Russia joint naval drill enhances capability to counter threats, securing regional peace: spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- The joint Chinese-Russian naval drill has enhanced the ability of both sides to counter security threats at sea and maintain regional security and peace, a Chinese military spokesperson told a press conference on Thursday.
- Chinese military spokesperson urges U.S. side to rebuild correct perception of China PLA Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- A Chinese military spokesperson on Thursday urged the U.S. side to rebuild a correct perception of China, adopt a rational and pragmatic China policy, and take concrete actions to promote a sound and stable military-to-military relationship.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 28, 2021 PRC MofA 28 Oct 2021
- After Australia, ASEAN upgrades ties with China in balancing act Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2021 -- ASEAN said Thursday that it agreed to upgrade ties with Beijing, a day after the bloc announced a similar agreement with Australia, in what appears to be a balancing act with Indo-Pacific powers amid tensions in the South China Sea.
- FM begins Europe visit to 'dissolve misunderstandings, stabilize ties' in three key messages Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Wednesday started his Europe tour which is taking him to Greece, Serbia, Albania and Italy. Analysts said the four stops in Europe are all regional countries that have close cooperation and traditional friendships with China, and the tour is expected to consolidate cooperation and manage differences amid recent noise in Europe.
- Highlights of China's propositions on China-ASEAN cooperation People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- China has expressed its readiness to deepen friendship and mutually beneficial cooperation with ASEAN countries and the wider world in the course of opening-up.
- HK LegCo functions more efficiently without opposition lawmakers, president says; all patriots welcome in upcoming elections Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Hong Kong's legislature has functioned much more efficiently after the resignation of some opposition lawmakers, President of the Hong Kong Legislation Council (LegCo) said on Thursday. Experts have pointed out that opposition lawmakers are still welcome in the upcoming election as long as they are patriots.
- Operational goal of the Hong Kong Alliance violates Constitution Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- One of the operational goals of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements violates the Constitution, as its meaning is tantamount to overthrowing the fundamental system of China laid down in the Constitution, Chief Secretary of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) made the remarks while commenting on the legal disbandment of the organization.
- GT investigates: Plenty of space in Hong Kong for NGOs, but no longer for subversive groups like Amnesty International Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- Amnesty International, another non governmental organization (NGO) widely known for its infamous role in meddling in China's internal affairs and instigating a color revolution in its Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), announced it will withdraw from Hong Kong. Chinese legal experts and observers consider that, under the national security law for Hong Kong, there is no room for those foreign organizations to engage in subversion through so-called Western human rights and democratic values.
- Hong Kong passes bill to vet movies over national security People's Daily 28 Oct 2021 -- The Legislative Council (LegCo) of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Wednesday approved a bill allowing authorities to revoke certificates of films that would be contrary to the interests of national security.
- WTO review 'successful' as China fully fulfills obligations; unreasonable criticism unacceptable: senior official Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- China will take seriously questions, complaints, and even criticism raised by other WTO members, but will not accept those criticisms based on expectations or requirement beyond the WTO's provisions, as they are unreasonable and unfair, a senior Chinese official said Thursday.
- China 'has fulfilled' WTO obligations Global Times 28 Oct 2021 -- China should not assume responsibilities outside its commitments to the World Trade Organization (WTO), Chinese officials and WTO experts said on Thursday, noting that China acknowledges concerns raised by some of its trading partners and will further open up its economy to the world.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list