Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Zhengzhou shuts private clinics, warns against unnecessary travel to fight COVID-19 Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- Zhengzhou in Central China's Henan Province on Thursday strengthened restrictions on health care institutions and tightened policies for leaving the city as a total of 137 confirmed cases and 12 silent carriers had been reported within two weeks.
- Yangzhou has found nearly 500 patients in latest outbreak, ups multiple areas to high-risk level Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- As 37 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on Wednesday, lifting the total to 485 in Yangzhou, East China's Jiangsu Province, in the latest outbreak, the city also found two new positive cases during its sixth round of citywide nucleic acid testing. Yangzhou upgraded several more areas to high-risk.
- Imported COVID-19 silent carrier from US investigated for breaching home observation rule in E. China; related personnel punished Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- An asymptomatic COVID-19 case who left home without authorization and posed a hazard of spreading the epidemic during their home observation period was investigated by local police in Hangzhou, East China's Zhejiang Province. Those held accountable for the incident were punished.
- 20 officials in Guangzhou punished for slack response to COVID-19 outbreak in May; Chinese discipline watchdog urges strict inspection Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- Guangzhou, South China's Guangdong Province, on Thursday announced punishments for 20 officials for their neglect of duty in dealing with the local COVID-19 outbreak in May and June, including the firing of director of the city health commission and district-level Party chief.
- Experts call for stricter protective measures after ICU nurse in Nanjing tests positive due to work exposure Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- An ICU nurse in Nanjing Public Health Center, in East China's Jiangsu Province, has tested positive for coronavirus in a routine nucleic acid test, local health commission said during a press conference on Thursday.
- Chinese vice premier stresses containing COVID-19 in Yangzhou People's Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan on Wednesday stressed effective measures to close loopholes and contain the COVID-19 resurgence in the eastern Chinese city of Yangzhou.
- Over 1.82 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.82 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Wednesday, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 61 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 61 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, including 38 in Jiangsu Province, 10 in Hubei, seven in Hunan, and three each in Henan and Yunnan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- China's COVID-19 Outbreak Hits Ningbo, Shuttering World's Largest Cargo Terminal Sputnik 12 Aug 2021 -- In the rush to find better immune protections against the Delta variant of COVID-19, China's medical products regulator has signed off on trials combining the country's indigenous SinoVac vaccine with a new vaccine by the US-based company Inovio. SinoVac has also reported trials on a third shot show substantial immune benefits.
- Bangladesh approves purchase of a batch of COVID-19 vaccines from China People's Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- The Bangladeshi government has approved the purchase of a batch of COVID-19 vaccines from China.
- Seven Chinese warplanes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 12 Aug 2021 -- Seven Chinese military aircraft, including fighter jets, entered Taiwan's southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Thursday, amid unconfirmed reports that a French frigate was spotted near Taiwan's west coast.
- US, Taiwan crossing the red line will create historic opportunity for PLA fighter jets to fly over island: Global Times editorial Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- On Wednesday, the White House announced that US President Joe Biden "will bring together leaders from a diverse group of the world's democracies at a virtual Summit for Democracy, to be followed in roughly a year's time by a second, in-person Summit."
- China urges U.S. to stop sending wrong signals to "Taiwan independence" forces People's Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- China urges the United States to abide by the one-China principle and the three China-U.S. joint communiques, properly handle Taiwan-related issues and stop sending wrong signals to "Taiwan independence" forces, a spokesperson said Wednesday.
- China urges US to stop sending wrong signals to Taipei's separatist forces Press TV 12 Aug 2021 -- China has urged the United States to stop interfering in the affairs of Chinese Taipei and sending wrong signals to separatist forces in the self-governed Chinese island.
- PLA Likely Begins Construction of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Silo Site near Hanggin Banner Air University (AU) - China Aerospace Studies Institute 12 Aug 2021 -- By mid-May 2021, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) likely began construction of a potential intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) silo site in Hanggin Banner, Ordos City, Inner Mongolia (approximately at 40.113, 108.104). Images taken by the European Space Agency's Sentinel-2 mission between 16 May and 9 August 2021 reveal a construction footprint similar to those found at known PLA ICBM silo construction sites at Jilantai, Guazhou (typically referred to as the Yumen site), and Hami.
- US Strategic Command Chief Says China's Nuclear Modernisation 'Breathtaking' Sputnik 12 Aug 2021 -- US Strategic Command chief Adm. Charles Richard said on Thursday that China's nuclear and conventional forces modernisation efforts are "breathtaking" and warned that Beijing will soon become a nation "capable of coercion."
- Type 054A frigate good choice to expand PLA naval fleet and boost combat preparedness: experts Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- China is reportedly building another batch of Type 054A frigates for the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLA Navy) after it had launched two new ships of this class over the past few months, a move Chinese military observers said on Thursday was aimed at rapidly expanding the country's naval fleet amid the need to boost its combat preparedness.
- Carrier-based fighter jets make breakthroughs in live-fire drills Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- Aircraft carrier-based J-15 fighter jets of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy recently conducted a series of live-fire missile drills that broke several records, including the number of aircraft sortied and types of weapons fired.
- Joint planning drill conducted in exercise "ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021" PLA Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- The first-phase joint planning drill of exercise ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021 kicked off at the combined arms tactical training base of the PLA Army in Qingtongxia City of West China's Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region on August 10, 2021. The joint command of the Chinese and Russian armed forces carries out corresponding organizing and coordination work.
- Newly revised regulations on Chinese naval vessels come into force PLA Daily 12 Aug 2021 -- With the approval of China's Central Military Commission (CMC), the trial version of the newly revised regulations on naval vessels has formally come into effect since July 1, 2021. The regulations have systematically adjusted and re-standardized the provisions on combat readiness, training, management, and support of naval vessels.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with People's Republic of China Appointed Ambassador Qin Gang US Dept. of State 12 Aug 2021
- China, Russia Pose Strategic Challenges for U.S., Allies, Admiral Says DoD News 12 Aug 2021 -- The U.S. is now navigating through uncharted waters with the possibility of strategic deterrence failing under rapidly growing threats from China and Russia, the commander of U.S. Strategic Command said.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Remarks on Wanton Comments by Canada on China's Lawful Handling of Cases Involving Canadian Citizens in China PRC MofA 12 Aug 2021
- Chinese Foreign Ministry, embassies lash out at Canada ganging up with other countries on judicial cases involving Canadian nationals Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry and embassies lashed out at Canada ganging up with other countries over the cases of Canadian Michael Spavor who was convicted of espionage and Canadian drug smuggler Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, and urged these countries to respect the rule of law in Cina and stop politicizing judicial cases.
- Largest HK opposition group likely to disband; city no longer secessionism hotbed Global Times 12 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong's Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF), the biggest opposition alliance in the city, was reportedly scheduled to announce its disbandment at the earliest possible time on Friday. It came as a number of radical anti-government opposition groups and platforms, which had engaged in anti-China and trouble-making movements over the past years, including the secessionist tabloid Apple Daily and the Hong Kong Professional Teachers' Union (PTU), stopped operating.
- Beijing Hopes To Replicate Pakistani Model For Returning Uyghurs To China RFE/RL Gandhara 12 Aug 2021 -- China has used its massive economic clout in Pakistan to gain Islamabad's cooperation in its transnational campaign targeting Uyghurs, a model that Beijing wants to export across Asia and the Middle East, a new report finds.
- Fears About National Security Law Chill Hong Kong Media VOA 12 Aug 2021 -- One year ago this week, Hong Kong authorities raided Apple Daily's offices and arrested the pro-democracy news outlet's founder, Jimmy Lai.
- China's Ruling Party on Track to Ensure Everyone Sings The Right Tunes Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2021 -- As the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) heads to the seaside resort of Beidaihe for its summer conference, the administration of general secretary Xi Jinping has ordered the deletion of songs with banned political content from the nation's karaoke parlors.
- Researchers Spot Deep Fake Profile Photos Linked to Pro-China Twitter Accounts Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2021 -- Researchers in the United Kingdom have discovered a coordinated network of "deep-fake" social media accounts pushing the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s views in the guise of ordinary account-holders.
- Shanghai Bans English Exams Amid Calls For Less English Teaching Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2021 -- Authorities in Shanghai have canceled primary school English exams in a bid to lighten the burden on children and parents, amid growing calls for English to be de-emphasized in China's state schools.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list