Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- DHS Warns American Businesses about Data Services and Equipment from Firms Linked to Chinese Government DHS 22 Dec 2020 -- Today, the Department of Homeland Security issued a business advisory to American businesses warning of risks associated with the use of data services and equipment from firms linked to the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- East China city detects coronavirus on imported food packaging People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- Bengbu City in east China's Anhui Province has detected COVID-19 on a packaging sample collected from a shipment of fish imported from India, local authorities said on Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that it received reports of 15 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, including 13 imported ones and two locally transmitted ones.
- China's Liaoning reports 8 new coronavirus infections People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Monday reported two confirmed COVID-19 cases and six asymptomatic infections, local authorities said Tuesday.
- China steps up prevention of COVID-19 via cold chain People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- China has put in place strict measures to prevent COVID-19 infections via cold-chain and frozen foods, said a senior epidemiologist Monday.
- China's COVID-19 vaccines safe, effective: expert People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- Clinical trials and emergency inoculations so far have shown that China's COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective, a Chinese expert said on Monday.
- China starts building COVID-19 vaccine production facility People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- China started the construction on Monday of a plant for manufacturing an mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccine, with production operations due to begin in eight months, according to local authorities.
- China to expand COVID-19 vaccination: expert People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- China will erect an immunity barrier against COVID-19 via high vaccination rates, an immunization expert said.
- China Border Fence, Aimed at Curbing COVID-19 Spread, Draws Complaints in Myanmar Radio Free Asia 22 Dec 2020 -- Chinese authorities building a fence topped with barbed-wire along China's border with Myanmar's Shan state to curb the spread of the coronavirus failed to hold pre-construction talks with their Myanmar counterparts and may have infringed upon the officially demarcated border line, local administrators said.
- US Congress Passes Landmark Bill in Support of Tibet VOA 22 Dec 2020 -- The U.S. Congress on Monday passed a bill that is expected to upgrade U.S. support for Tibetans in key areas, including sanctioning Chinese officials if they try to appoint the next Dalai Lama.
- Tibetan Policy and Support Act Passes in the US Congress Radio Free Asia 22 Dec 2020 -- The Tibetan Policy and Support Act pf 2020, a major bill strengthening U.S. support of Tibet through humanitarian projects and sanctions of Chinese abuses, has cleared the U.S. Congress and will go next to the desk of President Donald Trump for signing into law.
- USS John S. McCain Conducts Freedom of Navigation Operation in South China Sea US Navy 22 Dec 2020 -- On Dec. 22, USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) asserted navigational rights and freedoms in the Spratly Islands, consistent with international law. This freedom of navigation operation ("FONOP") upheld the rights, freedoms, and lawful uses of the sea recognized in international law by challenging restrictions on innocent passage imposed by China, Vietnam, and Taiwan.
- China warns off US destroyer trespassing in South China Sea: Spokesperson PLA Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- "On December 22, the US guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain trespassed into the waters adjacent to China's Nansha islands and reefs without Chinese Government's permission, and the naval and aerial forces of the Chinese PLA Southern Theater Command conducted whole-process tracking and monitoring on the US destroyer and warned it off," said Air Force Senior Colonel Tian Junli, Spokesperson for the PLA Southern Theater Command, in a written statement on Tuesday afternoon.
- U.S. Adds Russian, Chinese Companies To List Of Firms With Military Ties RFE/RL 22 Dec 2020 -- The U.S. Commerce Department has added more than 100 Russian and Chinese companies to a new list of entities with alleged ties to the countries' militaries, in a move that will restrict access to U.S. goods and technologies.
- Two Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 22 Dec 2020 -- Two Chinese military Y-8 aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Tuesday, marking the 14th time such maneuvers have occurred in December, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said that day.
- China Successfully Test-Launched New CZ-8 Carrier Rocket, Aerospace Corporation Says Sputnik 22 Dec 2020 -- China successfully test-launched its next-generation CZ-8 (Long March 8) medium-lift carrier rocket on Tuesday, the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) said.
- China's new carrier rocket Long March-8 makes maiden flight PLA Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- China's new medium-lift carrier rocket Long March-8 made its maiden flight on Tuesday, sending five satellites into planned orbit, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA).
- Russian, Chinese strategic bombers conduct joint air patrol in Asia-Pacific region Press TV 22 Dec 2020 -- Russian and Chinese strategic bombers have carried out a joint air patrol over the Sea of Japan and the East China Sea, the second such operation in Asia-Pacific region over the past year.
- Photos: China's Second Type 075 Amphibious Assault Ship Starts Sea Trials Sputnik 22 Dec 2020 -- The first Type 075 landing helicopter dock (LHD) is not yet in service, and China's third warship in the class is close to finishing construction. The hybrid warships promise to dramatically expand China's amphibious assault capabilities.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 22, 2020 PRC MofA 22 Dec 2020
- China Condemns US Visa Restrictions on Chinese Officials Sputnik 22 Dec 2020 -- Beijing condemns the US visa restrictions against Chinese officials and will adopt proper countermeasures, Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said Tuesday.
- US imposes further visa restrictions on Chinese officials; Beijing vows reciprocity Press TV 22 Dec 2020 -- The United States has imposed further visa restrictions on Chinese officials over alleged human rights violations.
- Hong Kong Flying Service Added to US Blacklist After Arrests of Fleeing Protesters Radio Free Asia 22 Dec 2020 -- The United States has included Hong Kong's Government Flying Service on a blacklist of "military end-users" after evidence emerged showing its aircraft were in the vicinity when 12 protesters fleeing Hong Kong for democratic Taiwan were intercepted and detained by the China Coast Guard.
- Alibaba Cloud Services Offered Racial Profiling of Uyghurs to Commercial Clients: Report Radio Free Asia 22 Dec 2020 -- Online sales and tech giant Alibaba is offering facial recognition services to its cloud customers that enables them to detect members of the ethnic minority Uyghur group, who are already being subjected to mass incarceration in "re-education" camps by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) in the northwestern region of Xinjiang, according to a report by a group tracking video surveillance around the world.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list