Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- High-risk groups to get COVID-19 vaccines: medical authority Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- China is to give people in high-risk COVID-19 groups coronavirus vaccine first, aiming to build a herd immunity protection chain through an active immunization program, said a senior official of the national medical authority on Saturday.
- COVID-19 vaccines proven to protect people from infections for over half a year Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- COVID-19 vaccines are able to protect people from infections for more than half a year, but whether people can achieve life-long or 5-10 years immunity via vaccination is not yet certain, said a senior Chinese health official on Saturday.
- Beijing raises risk level to medium for a hotel in Chaoyang district starting from Saturday Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- Beijing raised its COVID-19 emergency risk level for the Dashanzi branch store of Hanting Hotel in Chaoyang district and other stores in the building to medium from Saturday, Beijing's Center for Disease of Control and Prevention (CDC) announced on Saturday.
- China ready to further cooperate with WHO for global origin-tracing of COVID-19: FM spokesperson Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- China stands ready to continue to strengthen cooperation with the World Health Organization (WHO) to advance the global origin-tracing of COVID-19, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin told a daily press briefing Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Saturday that it received reports of 17 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Friday, including three domestically transmitted cases and 14 imported ones.
- Chinese mainland reports 14 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 14 new imported COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 4,093.
- U.S. warship USS Mustin transits through Taiwan Strait CNA 19 Dec 2020 -- The USS Mustin, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Saturday, the 12th this year that such passage has been carried out by an American warship.
- China's military tails, monitors US warship in Taiwan Strait Press TV 19 Dec 2020 -- China says its military has tailed and monitored a US warship through the Taiwan Strait, warning the United States against jeopardizing peace and stability in the sensitive waterway.
- China will as always follow a diplomatic path that serves development, pursues win-win strategy: Wang Yi Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- Speaking of Chinese style of diplomacy, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Friday reiterated that China has no intention to compete for hegemony and meddle in other countries' internal affairs, or export its systems and development modes, let alone seek the so-called sphere of influence.
- Trump signs bill that could delist Chinese companies from US stock exchanges Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- US President Donald Trump on Friday signed into law a new bill that could kick Chinese companies off US stock exchanges if they don't comply with American auditing standards within three years.
- China FM calls on US to stop 'arbitrary suppression' of Chinese firms Press TV 19 Dec 2020 -- China has censured unilateral US sanctions against Beijing and called on Washington to halt "arbitrary suppression" of the country's companies.
- US making strategic miscalculations on China issues: Chinese FM Wang Yi Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- Despite China's earnest efforts to build China-US relations on the basis of coordination, cooperation and stability, some US politicians continue to make strategic miscalculations, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Friday.
- China unveils security review on foreign investment for better opening-up Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- China's National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the country's top planner, and the Ministry Commerce announced on Saturday to issue new measures on the security review of foreign investment affecting national security, which will come into effect from January 18 2021.
- US blacklists more Chinese companies, including SMIC Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- The US Commerce Department announced Friday that it added more Chinese companies, including China's leading chipmaker Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (SMIC), to its Entity List.
- China confident in boosting ties with Russia: FM spokesperson Global Times 19 Dec 2020 -- China has the confidence and determination to maintain the positive development momentum of cooperation with Russia, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Friday.
- Pakistan pays back $1bn to Saudi Arabia, reaches out to China for loan assistance Press TV 19 Dec 2020 -- Pakistan has paid off more than $1 billion to Saudi Arabia as the second instalment of a $3.3 billion soft loan it had obtained from the Arab kingdom, as cash-strapped Islamabad reaches out to China for a commercial loan to repay the rest.
- Z-20 helicopters to play more roles in China's military PLA Daily 19 Dec 2020 -- An air assault brigade under the People's Liberation Army's (PLA) 75th Group Army conducted an air-ground integration exercise simulating the securing of an airfield recently. The combatants took utility helicopters to avoid the enemy's frontal fire, broke through their weak points, landed on the top of the simulated enemy's command building, and end the battle with the shortest possible time.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list