Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing reports 3 new imported coronavirus cases Saturday Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- Beijing reported another three imported coronavirus cases on Saturday, with two confirmed cases and one diagnosed as an asymptomatic case of COVID-19.
- District in NE China's Heihe offers reward for info on illegal crossing amid COVID-19 resurgence Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- The Aihui district of Heihe, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province which borders Russia issued a notice offering a reward of up to 50,000 yuan ($7,636) for information on illegal border crossings, amid the epidemic control pressure as multiple cities in the province have seen coronavirus resurgence.
- COVID-19 rebounds in 4 Chinese cities, massive testing rolled out Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- COVID-19 outbreaks with unknown sources of infection are taking place in at least four Chinese cities - Dongning and Suifenhe in Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, Turpan in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, and Chengdu in Southwest China's Sichuan Province. To fight the virus, the cities have all rolled out massive nucleic acid testing programs and three have entered quasi-lockdown mode.
- 45 close contacts of confirmed asymptomatic COVID-19 case quarantined after arrival in S.China resort Sanya Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- A South China's tourist city has identified two tourists who recently stayed at a hotel in the city as close contacts to a confirmed asymptomatic COVID-19 case in Northwest China's Shaanxi, the city 's anti-epidemic control command office said.
- Production capacity of COVID-19 vaccine from Sinopharm subsidiary CNBG to reach 1 billion next year Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- China National Biotec Group (CNBG), a subsidiary of Sinopharm, said Saturday that it expects the production capacity of its COVID-19 vaccine to reach 1 billion doses next year. It has carried out phase III clinical trials in 10 countries and regions worldwide, with 60,000 subjects included in the testing, Beijing Daily reported.
- Manzhouli to implement cold-chain food purchase restrictions Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- Group purchases of cold-chain food in Manzhouli, North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, must be reported for further investigation, and local citizens are advised to avoid purchasing cold-chain food online, according to a post from the official WeChat account of the Manzhouli government on Sunday.
- Hong Kong to receive COVID-19 vaccines in January: SAR government Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- Chief Secretary for Administration of Hong Kong SAR Cheung Kin-chung said in an official government blog on Sunday that the first batch of vaccines for COVID-19 will arrive in Hong Kong next month.
- China's dry ice equipment sector in full swing to meet US COVID-19 vaccine transport needs Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- As US President Donald Trump hailed the launch of COVID-19 vaccines, dry ice and its machine suppliers in China are working in full swing to respond to soaring demand for the cold chain, in which ice dry plays an indispensable part, with some companies' export orders to the US jumping by an unprecedented 10 to 20 times year-on-year.
- Beijing reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- One imported asymptomatic COVID-19 case and two confirmed cases were newly reported in Beijing on Saturday, the municipal health commission said on Sunday.
- Beijing sees rise in people receiving flu shots this year People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- Beijing has seen a major rise in people receiving the flu vaccine this year, according to a Saturday press briefing on epidemic prevention and control.
- Authorities race to stop latest COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- Pidu district, Chengdu, Sichuan province, has begun free nucleic acid testing for all its residents after 10 confirmed COVID-19 cases and two asymptomatic cases were detected in the district, home to more than 800,000.
- Chinese mainland reports 19 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 19 new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, with its total number of imported cases reaching 4,021.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Sunday that it received reports of 24 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including five domestically transmitted cases and 19 imported ones.
- 11 COVID-19 patients newly discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- A total of 11 COVID-19 patients were newly discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said in a daily report Sunday.
- Countdown to Chang'e-5's grand return: breaking free from moon gravity Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- China's Chang'e-5 lunar probe has officially embarked on the journey back to Earth amid earnest expectations from fans across the world, after the spacecraft carried out another successful maneuver that allowed it to break free from the moon's gravity and enter the lunar-Earth transfer orbit.
- Newly commissioned PLA destroyers form combat capability with intensive exercises Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- Two Type 052D destroyers that entered Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) naval service only a few months ago are gaining combat capabilities at a very fast pace, as they were brought to the fore in a recent round of highly intensive exercises that put the ship's hardware and personnel to the test.
- Compete and Coexist: US, China could develop new concept of relationship between great nations, Graham Allison says Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- The Global Times reporter Chen Qingqing and Bai Yunyi (GT) interviewed Graham T. Allison, the Douglas Dillon Professor of Government at the Harvard Kennedy School, to look into where China-US relations are heading and if these two can find their way to a new form of great power relations.
- China's mission to EU confirms detention of Bloomberg's Chinese employee suspected of 'jeopardizing national security' Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- The mission of China to the EU on Sunday confirmed the detention of a Chinese national for national security reasons in response to a question regarding the actions of a Bloomberg employee.
- China extends full open gesture to imported coal except for Australia Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- China's top economic planner on Saturday gave approval to power plants to import coal without clearance restrictions, except for Australia, in a bid to stabilize coal purchase prices.
- HK to require oath-taking procedures from civil servants in late Dec. or early Jan. Global Times 13 Dec 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) is going to announce the oath-taking procedures for its public officials, which requires all civil servants to take an oath or sign a declaration of support for the Basic Law and allegiance to the HKSAR, local media reported.
- China's further commitments inject impetus for global climate actions People's Daily 13 Dec 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday announced the country's further commitments for 2030 to contribute more to tackling the global climate challenge, when addressing the Climate Ambition Summit via video link.
- Poverty Alleviation: China Forcing Tibetans Into Mass, Military-Style 'Training' Programs (Part I) Radio Free Asia 13 Dec 2020 -- China declared in late November that it had officially met the target of eliminating extreme poverty by 2020, one of Communist Party chief Xi Jinping's signature initiatives to reach the CCP's goal to build a "moderately prosperous society" before the party's 100th anniversary in 2021. In a three-party series, Rita Cheng of RFA's Mandarin Service examines the impact of poverty alleviation policies on ethnic minorities.
- Poverty Alleviation: China's 'Anti-Poverty' Drives Leaves Mongolian Herders Out in Cold (Part II) Radio Free Asia 13 Dec 2020 -- China declared in late November that it had officially met the target of eliminating extreme poverty by 2020, one of Communist Party chief Xi Jinping's signature initiatives to reach the CCP's goal to build a "moderately prosperous society" before the party's 100th anniversary in 2021. In a three-party series, Rita Cheng of RFA's Mandarin Service examines the impact of poverty alleviation policies on ethnic minorities.
- Poverty Alleviation: China's Anti-Poverty Drive in Sichuan Sparks Fears of Cultural Erosion (Part III) Radio Free Asia 13 Dec 2020 -- China declared in late November that it had officially met the target of eliminating extreme poverty by 2020, one of Communist Party chief Xi Jinping's signature initiatives to reach the CCP's goal to build a "moderately prosperous society" before the party's 100th anniversary in 2021. In a three-party series, Rita Cheng of RFA's Mandarin Service examines the impact of poverty alleviation policies on ethnic minorities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list