Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Sichuan starts emergency vaccine use for 12 priority groups, mass inoculation to follow Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Southwest China's Sichuan Province has started coronavirus vaccine emergency use for 12 types of high-risk groups - about 2 million people - with inoculation scheduled to be completed by the end of the year. The public will have access to the vaccine after the upcoming 2021 Chinese Spring Festival begins on February 12.
- Chengdu enters 'wartime mode' after 7 domestic COVID-19 cases in two days Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, Southwest China's Sichuan Province, has entered "wartime mode" after seven domestic COVID-19 cases were found in two days, with authorities racing against time to track the patients' close contacts scattered across the city. Experts say there is a high possibility that the Chengdu outbreak can be traced back to imported cases or goods.
- China suspends imports of aquatic products from Pakistan firm after positive COVID result Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- China took the emergency measure of suspending aquatic product imports from a Pakistani company, after the packaging of three of its products produced positive COVID-19 test results, China's customs said on Tuesday.
- China's Chengdu reports 3 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, reported three new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, local authorities said.
- Hong Kong to further tighten social distancing measures to contain COVID-19: HKSAR chief executive People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Carrie Lam, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said on Tuesday that in view of the worsening COVID-19 epidemic situation in Hong Kong, social distancing measures will be further tightened including the banning of dine-in services in restaurants after 6 p.m..
- Shanghai tightens cold-chain transport control to fight COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- The Shanghai Municipality has strengthened port, airport, and cold-chain transport control to fight against COVID-19, authorities said on Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that it received reports of 12 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, two of which were locally transmitted in Sichuan Province.
- Chengdu reports two new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, the capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, reported two new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Monday, local authorities said.
- FM slams US political manipulation on Tibet issues, points to improvement in people's lives Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry slammed stigmatization from a US "special coordinator for Tibetan issues" on Tuesday, stressing that the political manipulation aims to meddle in China's internal affairs and destroy the steady development of Tibet.
- US can't 'instigate new conflicts in S. China Sea' Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- With about a month to go before the end of US President Donald Trump's administration, the US still sent its acting secretary of defense to visit some countries around the South China Sea, with observers speculating that the move is meant to add difficulties for the new administration to adjust its strategy in the region.
- US plans latest arms sale to Taiwan, 'PLA will be ready' Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- The US is planning the sale of a battlefield communications system to Taiwan island, marking the sixth US arms sale to the island this year, as the Taiwan authorities claimed on Tuesday such exchanges have become "routine."
- Treasury Sanctions Shipping Companies Transporting North Korean Coal US Treasury 08 Dec 2020 -- "Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated six entities and identified four vessels related to the transport of North Korean coal. Such actions address the transportation and exportation of North Korean coal in violation of UN Security Council resolution (UNSCR) 2371 and underscore that entities within the People's Republic of China (PRC) have continued to engage in activities prohibited under the UNSCRs."
- PLA holds drills in South China Sea amid US warship transits Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Warships of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy recently conducted real scenario-oriented exercises in the South China Sea and comprehensively honed their combat capabilities, media reported on Monday, a day after the US sailed warships into the region.
- China's 'wolf warrior sentiment' shows confidence, correction to 'irrational worship of the West' Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- China's diplomatic style is increasingly more assertive and confident as it faces up against stigmatization and provocative behaviors from the West, even becoming more significantly active in condemning Western nations over blatant violations of human rights worldwide, but now the West has become very uncomfortable by using the term "wolf warrior diplomacy" to accuse China of acting more "aggressively" and hyping its "nationalism."
- Russia, China will not succumb to US-led world order: Lavrov Press TV 08 Dec 2020 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says his country and China will not yield to Western pressure or accept a world order that is being led by the United States and its close allies.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on December 8, 2020 PRC MofA 08 Dec 2020
- China: US sanctions over Hong Kong 'hysterical political bullying' Press TV 08 Dec 2020 -- China has condemned the new US sanctions against top Chinese legislators over their alleged role in devising Hong Kong's national security law, describing the bans as "hysterical political bullying."
- Hong Kong Police Charge Eight Pro-Democracy Figures Over July 1 Protest Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong police on Tuesday charged eight pro-democracy activists, including three former democratic camp lawmakers, in connection with protests against a draconian national security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) on July 1.
- Jailed Hong Kong Media Boss Jimmy Lai Wins Press Freedom Award Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2020 -- Jailed Hong Kong media mogul Jimmy Lai has been awarded a 2020 Press Freedom Award by the Paris-based Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
- Chinese Foreign Ministry Summons US Diplomat After Fresh US Sanctions Over Hong Kong Sputnik 08 Dec 2020 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zheng Zeguang summoned the US charge d'affaires in Beijing in the wake of US sanctions against 14 Chinese officials over Hong Kong, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Eight Over 'Unauthorized' Protest VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong police on Tuesday arrested eight activists in connection with a July protest, the latest in a widening crackdown on dissent in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.
- US stages 'final hysteria' with sanctions over HK Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- China on Tuesday summoned the charge d'affaires of the US Embassy in Beijing to protest US new sanctions on senior Chinese lawmakers and vowed to retaliate what has been called the most serious provocation and gross interference in China's internal affairs related to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) by the US government.
- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister summons US embassy official over Hong Kong sanctions Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zheng Zeguang summoned Robert W. Forden, chargĂ© d'affaires at the US Embassy to China, on Tuesday to express solemn opposition to the US State Department announcement of sanctions on 14 vice chairs of China's National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee, according to the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- Sanctions on 14 NPC officials 'direct confrontation' with China's highest organ of power Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Putting 14 Chinese officials from the country's top legislature on the new sanction list over the Hong Kong issue shows that the Trump administration, with its final act of hysteria against China, is now bypassing the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) and directly confronting China's highest organ of power, Chinese scholars said, suggesting that Beijing come up with more countermeasures such as further reducing staff of the US consulate in Hong Kong.
- Hypocritical for US to pass bill protecting 'freedom' of HK residents: Chinese FM Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- As the world closely watches how the US deals with the raging COVID-19 epidemic, the superpower passed a bill related to China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in the name of protecting its "freedom" and "choice," which was slammed by the Chinese Foreign Ministry as a hypocritical move that only aims to contain China.
- China vows powerful countermeasures against US' latest sanctions on Chinese officials over HK affairs: FM Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- China vows to take resolute and powerful countermeasures against the US' latest sanctions against 14 Chinese senior officials, and strongly urges the US to immediately revoke its wrong decision, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Tuesday.
- US sanctions 'hysterical political bullying:' Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- US' decision to place 14 top Chinese officials on its sanctions list is an act of "hysterical political bullying," which goes against international law and basic norms of international relations, said China's Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council, condemning US' latest move on Tuesday.
- Update: HK police arrest 8 over unauthorized assemblies Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Eight pro-secession activists were arrested in Hong Kong on Tuesday, on suspicion of involvement in unauthorized protests in June and July, including fomer opposition lawmakers Wu Chi-wai, Chu Hoi-dick and Leung Kwok-hung.
- China has suspended timber logs imports from the Australian states of Tasmania and South Australia Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- China has suspended imports of timber logs from the Australian states of Tasmania and South Australia as of December 3, said a statement published by General Administration of Customs of China on Monday.
- China Big Data Program Identifies Uyghurs for 'Arbitrary' Detention-HRW Report Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2020 -- Authorities in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) of China use a big data program that â€śarbitrarily selects Turkic Muslims for possible detentionâ€ť in internment camps based on behavior that is legal, Human Rights Watch said in a report published on Thursday.
- MOFCOM hits US' detention order on Xinjiang's cotton products Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- The US' claim of the use of "forced labor" in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region to manufacture cotton products is "sheer fiction" and "confuses right and wrong," China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) spokesperson on Tuesday said, refuting the recent issue of a detention order by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
- Ethnic Kazakh From Xinjiang Receives Asylum-Seeker Status In Ukraine RFE/RL 08 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese citizen of ethnic Kazakh origin from China's northwestern province of Xinjiang told RFE/RL that he has obtained asylum seeker status in Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list