Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 November 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- An asymptomatic man who passed five coronavirus tests in August tests positive again Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- A man who was diagnosed an asymptomatic carrier of the coronavirus in July and then given a clean bill of health after five negative tests for the virus has again tested positive in Weihui, Central China's Henan Province, forcing dozens of his close contacts into quarantine, said the city's health commission.
- Kashi begins 3rd round of mass nucleic acid tests 'to track infections' Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Kashi in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region began its third round of mass nucleic acid testing on Monday, after Xinjiang reported 61 new silent virus carriers on Saturday alone. This comes after it finished the second round of testing in key villages, which sparked public concern over whether the initial clustered outbreak linked to a local clothing factory had spread in the region.
- China's COVID-19 fight offers lesson for foreigners Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Fighting the novel coronavirus epidemic has become a process in which some foreigners see China from a fresh perspective, especially when their homelands are struggling in dealing with a second wave. In Shanghai, the use of big data is one of the secret weapons to win this battle.
- China calls for emergency stockpiles, lesson learned from fighting virus: experts Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- China is mobilizing families to build up stockpiles of emergency supplies this winter ahead of a possible new COVID-19 epidemic engulfing the country, a lesson learned from previous outbreaks. However, military experts shrugged off rumors that said this was a preparation for war.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Three new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland Sunday, all in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- One more Chinese COVID-19 vaccine ready for phase-3 clinical trials People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- A COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by the Institute of Microbiology under the Chinese Academy of Sciences has shown to be safe in early-stage trials, suggesting potential for further clinical tests.
- China Changes Virus Testing Rules, Leaving Its Nationals Out in The Cold Radio Free Asia 02 Nov 2020 -- A sudden change to COVID-19 travel requirements for people arriving in China has left large numbers of the country's own nationals stranded internationally, or forced to cancel travel plans at the last minute, RFA has learned.
- PLA warplanes make 8 incursions into Taiwan's ADIZ Monday CNA 02 Nov 2020 -- Aircraft from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) Monday on eight separate occasions, the 32nd day such incursions have occurred since mid-September, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- China could use U.S. election uncertainty to target Taiwan: FM CNA 02 Nov 2020 -- China could take advantage of uncertainties caused by the U.S. presidential election to increase military pressure on Taiwan, Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (å³éç®) warned on Monday.
- 'China threat' Japan's excuse to deploy large warship Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- The so-called missile threats from China and North Korea are only excuses Japan uses in its plan to break its peace constitution, Chinese experts said on Monday, after Japanese reports said the country is planning to develop a large Aegis-equipped warship as an alternative to the scrapped US-made Aegis Ashore missile defense system.
- China to modernize military, arsenal in next 5 years Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- China will develop and produce modern, advanced weapons and equipment in the upcoming five years, as the world could witness the debut of China's first long-range, stealth-capable strategic bomber, the country's third and electromagnetic catapults-equipped aircraft carrier, among other new weapons that aim to safeguard the country's sovereignty, territorial integrity and development interests, Chinese military experts and analysts predicted on Monday, after China's recently released 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-25) and the CommuniquÃ© of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) set the tone for the development of the country's national defense and armed forces.
- Private arms firms equip PLA with intelligent equipment for better border defense Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Private Chinese arms firms are providing the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Command with unmanned, intelligent and advanced weapons and equipment including drones, anti-drone guns and warm clothing made of graphene, giving the troops an edge in their defense of the border.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on November 2, 2020 PRC MofA 02 Nov 2020
- President Trump on China: Putting America First The White House 02 Nov 2020
- Balkans Become Unlikely Bridgehead In Europe For U.S.'s Anti-China Push RFE/RL 02 Nov 2020 -- Romania's announcement that the country would ban Chinese tech giant Huawei from its networks was the latest move to roll back China's dominance in cutting-edge 5G telecommunication in Central and Southeastern Europe.
- Xi stresses advancing deep integration of reform, development PLA Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday stressed efforts to fully implement the spirit of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC), and promote the deep integration and efficient interaction of reform and development.
- Two senior officials under investigation after 5th plenary session of 19th CPC Central Committee Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Two senior Chinese officials are being investigated for violation of discipline and law, including Party secretary of Sanya in Hainan Province Tong Daochi, who used to work for Rand Corporation in the US, a rare experience for Chinese officials.
- Woman falls for foreign spy, sentenced to prison with her accomplice husband Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- China has unveiled a number of espionage cases to raise people's awareness amid the sixth anniversary of the enactment of China's counter-espionage law. One of these is related to the family of a civil servant that was upturned by a lover who turned out to be a spy.
- Man turns to espionage after failed attempt to found his own 'nation' Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- On the sixth anniversary of the implementation of China's counter-espionage law, China's national security departments have revealed the ridiculous case of a man who was recruited to spy for foreign intelligence agencies after his nonsensical attempt to found his own "party" and "nation," thepaper.cn reported Sunday.
- US Secretary of State Condemns Arrests of Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Activists VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has condemned the arrests by Hong Kong authorities of a group of pro-democracy activists, calling the action "a clear abuse of law enforcement for political purposes."
- Arrest of Eight Pan-Democratic Politicians in Hong Kong US Dept. of State 02 Nov 2020 -- The United States strongly condemns the arrests of eight pan-democratic politicians in Hong Kong, including five sitting members of the Legislative Council.
- HK LegCo is no independent kingdom: executive councilor Ronny Tong Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Ronny Tong Ka-wah, an executive councilor in Hong Kong, rejected claims that lawmakers cannot be prosecuted, and stressed that the LegCo is not an independent kingdom, following the arrest of several current and former Hong Kong lawmakers for violating the Legislative Council (LegCo) Ordinance.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Eight Pro-Democracy Lawmakers Over Scuffle Radio Free Asia 02 Nov 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested eight pro-democracy politicians on charges linked to physical attempts to reinstate the chairperson of a powerful committee that sets the order of business in the city's Legislative Council (LegCo) on May 8.
- Six Camp Detainees From a Street in Xinjiang's Uchturpan Have Died or Are Seriously Ill Radio Free Asia 02 Nov 2020 -- At least three people have died and three are seriously ill from among 17 people taken to internment camps from a single street in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), according to police officers in the region's Aksu (in Chinese, Akesu) prefecture.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list