Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- New daily cases increase for 4 consecutive days as Xinjiang expands testing Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Health authorities in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region said on Sunday that they would launch a second round of large-scale testing in major districts around Urumqi to pinpoint false-negative residents.
- Officials, CDC epidemiologist slam smear over central govt's help in HK's fight against COVID-19 Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese central government will provide anything Hong Kong needs to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, and one possible way would be helping to build, staff and operate makeshift hospitals to treat patients, experts said Sunday after the city saw more than 100 cases for the fifth consecutive day.
- Dalian to conduct full-scale testing after new clustered infections Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Dalian in Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Sunday announced it will test its six million residents to identify patients and silent carriers to curb the spread of the new COVID-19 outbreak after the infection chain has spread to another six cities.
- 19 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Sunday that 19 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday.
- HK economy to fare worse due to new wave of COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The economy of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) might need a longer time than expected to recover, the HKSAR's financial secretary said Sunday, citing the abrupt worsening of political, economic and trade ties between China and the US, and an intensified escalation of geopolitical tensions that add to an uncertain global economic outlook.
- HK seeks coronavirus aid from central government Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- A number of Hong Kong pro-establishment camp representatives have sought help from the central government to aid them in battling the coronavirus at a time when the number of infected in the city is surging.
- Xinjiang reports 22 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region reported 22 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Saturday, the regional health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday that it received reports of 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, 35 of which were domestically transmitted.
- Beijing allows public transport to operate at full capacity People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- As part of easing restrictions to control the COVID-19 epidemic, Beijing has allowed its buses and subways to operate at full capacity.
- Vice premier stresses targeted measures to curb COVID-19 in Xinjiang People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has emphasized scientific and targeted measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and to safeguard the life and health of people of all ethnic groups.
- China's home-grown large amphibious aircraft AG600 makes 1st sea-based test flight Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- China's domestically developed large amphibious aircraft AG600 successfully made its first sea-based test flight on Sunday. The test flight demonstrated the aircraft's ability to operate in challenging maritime conditions and conduct missions, including far sea cargo transport and maritime emergency rescue, the aircraft's developer said.
- China-developed AG600 amphibious aircraft succeeds in maiden flight over sea PLA Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- China's indigenously-developed AG600 large amphibious aircraft succeeded in its maiden flight over sea on Sunday morning in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province, its developer announced.
- Coronavirus Crisis Accelerates China's Grab For Power, Influence In Central Asia RFE/RL 26 Jul 2020 -- As China's enormous economy starts to rev up again with the worst of the pandemic behind it, the desperate countries of Central Asia may find their economic - and political - futures tied to a more assertive Beijing.
- China, Pakistan Reject Biowarfare Development Collusion VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- Pakistan and China have refuted as "absurd" and "fabricated" media reports that the two close allies are jointly conducting secret research to develop biological weapons in breach of global treaties.
- US consulate in China's Chengdu making final preparations for closure Press TV 26 Jul 2020 -- The US consulate in the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu has been making final preparations for its closure, which was ordered in retaliation for Washington's move last week to shut down the Chinese consulate in Houston.
- Tight Security Presence Outside US Consulate in Chengdu, China VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- There was a tight security presence outside the U.S. consulate in the city of Chengdu, China Sunday, as the American staff prepared to leave the premises.
- China-US ties in 'extreme danger' in next 3 months Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- While the world is still fighting a tough battle against the COVID-19 pandemic, the US is trying to launch a new cold war against China by making a series of provocations, such as forcing China to close its consulate in Houston and making aggressive speeches targeting China, even though such hegemonic and irresponsible moves are criticized by not only China but also international scholars, who say the US' aggressive attitude is threatening world peace.
- China firmly opposes U.S. forcibly entering Chinese consulate general in Houston People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Saturday expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to U.S. law enforcement officers' forced entry into the Chinese consulate general in Houston.
- US consulate in China prepares for closure Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Foreign workers and diplomats left in succession from the US Consulate General in Chengdu over the weekend after China ordered its closure within 72 hours, in retaliation for the US ordering the closure of China's Consulate General in Houston.
- US' break-in to Chinese consulate in Houston "no different from burglary": FM spokesperson Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The US' break-in to the Chinese consulate in Houston is "no different from burglary," Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying tweeted on Sunday as US legal enforcement agents were reported to have broke into the consulate compound on Friday afternoon.
- HKPF not impacted by equipment export sanctions: police chief Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) has been working with various places around the world in terms of equipment procurement and training, and has not focused on one single country, so the equipment export sanctions will have little impact on the HKPF, and the unilateral move to cut ties or suspend exports would only cost the other countries involved, Chris Tang Ping-keung, Commissioner of Police of the HKPF, told the Global Times in an exclusive interview.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list