Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China suspends imports of some US chicken, shuts down Pepsi factory over COVID-19 Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- China has suspended imports of poultry from a top American producer and ordered shutdown of a Beijing Pepsi factory, saying both factories have been hit by the COVID-19 contagious disease.
- China Halts Some US Poultry Imports Amid Virus Fears VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- Beijing announced Sunday it was halting poultry imports from a plant in the United States where employees have tested positive for the coronavirus.
- Beijing daily COVID-19 testing capability may reach 1 million Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- Beijing continues to expand its COVID-19 testing capability to meet the mounting demand for nucleic acid tests, and if it adopts batch testing, Beijing could test nearly 1 million people per day
- Beijing quickly builds makeshift lab to gear up coronavirus testing Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has built a makeshift bio lab and may adopt batch testing to boost the efficiency amid spike in testing demand and backlog of samples.
- Wuhan sends medical teams to aid Beijing amid COVID-19 resurgence, returns kindness Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- Two months after Beijing's last medical team left Wuhan, Hubei Province, medical teams dispatched by six Wuhan-based hospitals arrived in Beijing on Saturday, supporting China's capital as it gears up testing capacities amid the latest resurgence of coronavirus.
- Beijing sees achievements in virus prevention with rapid, efficient measures Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- In the past 10 days, Beijing has tested millions of residents for COVID-19 and conducted a series of measures to avoid its spread after a new wave broke out from the largest wholesale food market in the city, infecting more than 200 people. The capital city's disease control efforts have seen achievements in confronting the epidemic, and medical authorities said the outbreak is under control.
- COVID-19 may continue till mid-2021: China's top epidemiologist Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- The global spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is likely to continue until the first half of 2021 even if vaccines become available, predicted Zhang Wenhong, a prominent Chinese infectious disease expert and leader of Shanghai's COVID-19 medical team.
- Beijing tests nearly 2.3 million people for COVID-19 People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- Nearly 2.3 million people in Beijing have received nucleic acid tests over the past week as the city strives to contain domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases, local authorities said Saturday.
- China's Hubei reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- No new confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported one new imported COVID-19 case Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,869, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Beijing reports 22 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 22 new confirmed domestically-transmitted COVID-19 cases, three suspected cases and three asymptomatic cases Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- India knows 'it can't have a war with China' Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- After the border clash in the Galwan Valley, nationalism and hostility against China within India are rising sharply, while Chinese analysts and some reasonable voices inside India warned that New Delhi should cool down the nationalism at home.
- Chinese military plane enters Taiwan's ADIZ; seventh time this month CNA 21 Jun 2020 -- A Chinese military jet was spotted entering Taiwan's airspace on Sunday, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said later that day, marking the seventh time this month that Chinese aircraft have been found entering the nation's air defense identification zone (ADIZ).
- China releases report on US military presence in Asia-Pacific, warns of increased conflict risk Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- China is set to release its 2020 research report on the US military presence in the Asia-Pacific region amid the US' recent increased military activities near China, including repeated trespassing into China's territorial waters in the South China Sea by warships this year. The possibility of a conflict could substantially increase, which must be managed and prevented, the report says.
- Chief executive appointing judges for national security cases based on Basic Law: HK senior counsel Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- A senior Hong Kong lawyer on Sunday told the Global Times that the newly unveiled draft of the national security law for Hong Kong makes him "reassured" and that it was "strange" that the Hong Kong Bar Association said judges appointed by the chief executive to deal with crimes against national security were "ruled by man" because the appointments are based on the Basic Law.
- China's top legislature likely to enact national security law for HK at next session by July 1 Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- Hours after China revealed the details of the draft of the national security law for Hong Kong, the country's top legislature set the date for the next session of the National People's Congress Standing Committee, during which the highly anticipated law is likely to be enacted to end the chaos and rampage throughout the city that has become "a base of subversive activities" instigated by the West over the years.
- China's top legislature reviews draft law on safeguarding national security in HKSAR People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature reviewed a draft law on safeguarding national security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China.
- Chinese mission slams European Parliament's resolution on Hong Kong People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mission to the European Union (EU) on Friday said it is gravely concerned about and firmly opposed to a European Parliament resolution which makes unwarranted criticism against the formulation of the national security legislation in Hong Kong by China's National People's Congress (NPC).
- Hong Kong no longer foreigners' bridgehead to harm national security: Leader Lam Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's leader Carrie Lam has reiterated her full support for the enactment of China's proposed national security law, stressing that the semi-autonomous city will no longer be used as "a bridgehead" by foreign forces to endanger national security.
- Plan for general strike in Hong Kong falls through Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- A general strike in opposition to a new national security law in Hong Kong has failed to garner support in an unofficial referendum in the Chinese city.
- China's top legislature adopts decision on joining Arms Trade Treaty PLA Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature Saturday voted to adopt a decision on joining the Arms Trade Treaty.
- China adopts revised armed police force law PLA Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature on Saturday voted to adopt a draft revision to the Law on the People's Armed Police Force.
- China's top legislature reviews draft law on safeguarding national security in HKSAR PLA Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature reviewed a draft law on safeguarding national security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list